Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 06:01 PM

26 posts, read 88,077 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I may plan a move to one of the many beautiful remote small towns in
Western or Cenrtal Nebraska....towns like Valentine, Imperial, Gordon,
Rushville, McCook, etc.
I an a very healhy person and maintain a healthy diet. Im wondering if
in these areas are there good healthy food available? Food like fresh
fish(salmon, flounder, talapia), chicken breats, fresh fruits and veggies.
Do most folks in remote West/Cent NE east mostly slop like gray and
potatoes, greasy food?
What exactly is the diet like of most of West/Cent remote towns?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 07:08 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,009,835 times
Ya, most central/western Nebraskans just east slop. You know, just like all Californians eat only tofu and rice cakes and all Philadelphians eat only philly cheese steak sandwiches.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:00 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,231,372 times
lol

Though that is a good point-- What kind of a question is this??

Old 03-03-2010, 08:07 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,231 times
Most people in the rural ares you mention work hard and require lots of calories and red meat to keep going. Very few of them need to go to a gym to get exercise. The life expectancy of the folks living in Western & Central Nebraska was among the highest in the nation last time I checked.

GL2

Old 03-03-2010, 09:46 AM

26 posts, read 88,077 times
So, are there food stores in Cent-Est NE where one can buy fresh fish, fruits and veggies??

Old 03-03-2010, 10:29 AM

370 posts, read 1,356,383 times
Since we started in the central/west, here is what I know: If you are looking for a "natural food" type store, which offers more organic and/or fresh fare than Walmart or chain grocery stores, then your choices are somewhat limited. You'll have to travel to the larger towns like Scottsbluff, North Platte, or Kearney.

If you want a Whole Foods or other chain big box natural food store you'd need to travel to Denver, Ft. Collins/Loveland or Cheyenne.

Safeway grocery stores in western NE try to offer a better selection of organic and fresh foods. Even the Nash-Finch affiliated groceries like Sunmart are trying too.

On the east coast (Omaha/Lincoln), I'm sure you have many more options.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:46 AM

252 posts, read 732,538 times
I can afford to be critical because I have seen extraordinary health, here, in So. Central NE. Actually, the problem is opposite--what to do with the growing number of centenarians. I am laughing at my sibling in CA who trashed our diet, but now needs to share the care of Mom..who lived on red meat and buried her garden vegetables in Ranch dressing. Hm-mm, how extensive shall we pay for dental care in her 100+ year old mouth? :-)

On the other hand.........Plan to make your own coffee. You will rarely find anything that passes for more than light, brown water, out here. It is awful and someone will be yelling that it's too strong. LOL

Grocerie stores vary. Our little town is excellent as we sit on the Harlan Reservoir. The manager goes to food shows in Las Vegas-(where she has a great time!) and comes back with new foods for us to try. She carries salt water and fresh water salmon, tilapia, pollock...et c. Even though, recreationists fish for their own. The fruit and veg selection is very good. CA just happens to have extremely good fruit, by comparison. But you can get it shipped here. Just ask the grocer for what you want. It's a lake/farming culture, here. The beef is extraordinary. You just have to know how to cook or, like everywhere, you're looking at the Schwann's truck and the convenience store.

BTW, if you end up close to GI, the Hy Vee store will blow away any misconceptions about the availability of good food...and wine. Don't forget to try Nebraska's wines. They're winning awards, internationally.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:04 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,231,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noduleman View Post
So, are there food stores in Cent-Est NE where one can buy fresh fish, fruits and veggies??

Every
grocery store carries fresh fruits and veggies...

They won't usually be organic (or local) unless it's in season, but it's fresh. And the smaller the store, the smaller the selection. Ie, starfruit might be hard to come by or kolrahbi...

Fish is usually fresh-frozen as Nebraska is a land-locked state afterall and in this part of the world we tend to eat things with hooves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Most people in the rural ares you mention work hard and require lots of calories and red meat to keep going. Very few of them need to go to a gym to get exercise. The life expectancy of the folks living in Western & Central Nebraska was among the highest in the nation last time I checked.

GL2
The latter part is probably true. But the former? I'm going to disagree a bit... Most people out here don't do that much manual labor anymore. At least, not enough to keep a cheap, starchy diet off the waist. And while a lot of us are fortunate enough to have home-grown beef in the fridge, most middle-lower class incomes know that ramen noodles and mac n cheese can be expanded a hundred different ways...

Old 03-13-2010, 02:57 PM

91 posts, read 408,657 times
Ya, most central/western Nebraskans just east slop. You know, just like all Californians eat only tofu and rice cakes and all Philadelphians eat only philly cheese steak sandwiches. this just cracked me up..

Old 03-13-2010, 04:05 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
The diet of Nebraskans has to be better than Indiana. We have an obseity epidemic in these parts along with way too many chain restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska