U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-02-2011, 04:24 PM

165 posts, read 146,978 times

Advertisements

If you think you're going to find big city thinking in any Florida cities... you'll be disappointed. Florida is ultra conservative. LOTS of crime, LOTS of drugs. Unemployment and old people everywhere clogging up the roads, lines, etc. Horrible school system. Florida is a place to vacation not live, unfortunately I grew up in Florida. I didn't know how backwards and insane my home state was til I traveled throughout the country. Why do you think all the crazy news stories (Casey Anthony just for one) come out of Florida? People are insane here. Literately. Everyone's on pills too.

But I'm sure it's a step up in excitement compared to Nebraska. If you're looking to retire soon then It probably is a good spot for you. But if you're still young, please save yourself. lol.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:27 PM

174 posts, read 234,018 times
I believe there are a few people on this forum who have moved from Nebraska to Florida, so they may chime in soon.

I don't live in FL, but I live "next door", and I have a lot of family there that I visit fairly regularly. Housing prices have definitely fallen significantly, but I cannot imagine that they would be less expensive than Nebraska in most places. I know for a fact the majority of FL locations still exceed north Georgia pricing, unless the neighborhoods are run down. What specific parts of FL have you researched the prices?

One big plus is that FL does not have a state tax. Their property taxes are also lower than Nebraska as a whole, but homeowner's insurance will eat you alive! My sister's home is within 1/2 mile of the bay that sits behind Destin, FL, and her homeowner's insurance costs almost as much as her mortgage on a $220k house.

I think many people once thought Florida was a great place, but the crime rates have risen so sharply in some areas, along with the COL, that a lot of people have reconsidered. Many retirees are now looking at the Carolina & Mid Atlantic coast lines as a different option because of these issues. Good luck with your decision, though. Everyone should try to make the most of their life and go where they will be happiest.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:35 PM

2,193 posts, read 1,524,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydve76 View Post
I have the Florida bug. I would like to move there. I would like to hear from those who have moved from Nebraska how it compared, what you missed, what you don't miss etc.

What I hate:
Job market sucks, small town thinking even in the big towns.
Nothing to do, no water, no moutains, no amusements, no tourist stuff.
Extreme weather. We get lots of heat and severe winters. I HATE winters that severe. I get seasonally depressed because of them.
potholes
high taxes that dont proportionately benefit anyone.

I fly rc airplanes, I swear the average wind speed is 20 mph around here. I also like bonsai, good luck keeping them alive in 115 degree weather followed -10 degree weather.

Theres NOTHING to do here. I know people in florida say the same thing about Florida, but seriously am I exagerating saying that Nebraska is boring? I guess if you like stream fishing you may be happy. dont say hunting because unless you know someone it aint happening.

I have no friends here either. I grew up poor and so my classmates outcasted me. Of the friend I did have, many are in jail or still doing the same thing they did 15 years ago in highschool.

My family sucks. So leaving people behind is not an issue.

I am married, own a home, have 2 kids ages 5 and 2. My wife stays home.

What I like about Florida:
Ocean
Heat year round (but not extreme heat)
Housing is cheaper
taxes are cheaper
Palm Trees
Flying clubs
bonsai clubs

What I may not like about Florida:
Extreme humidity year round
The job market may be even worse. I work in health insurance not sure how easy it will be to get a job.
A lot of Floridans are bitter because the good jobs go to non natives who gain epxerience otuside of Florida then move there. Also lots of near retirees doesnt help.
It's hard to compare the real estate because I'm not familiar with Nebraska, but a good house in FL may not be as cheap as you think. And the property taxes in most counties are very high from what I'm use to, but there are no state income taxes so that might balance out. Homeowners insurance can be high to outrageous depending on how close to the water you live. The job market is HORRIBLE, don't even think of moving here unless you have a job lined up. Every job you apply for you will be competing with probably 100-200 other people(no joke). Traffic is bad in most of the metro areas. I've met some very nice people in the two years I've lived here, but there are a lot of very rude people. In the Tampa area there are several RC clubs and I imagine they are all over the state. The past two winters have been pretty harsh for FL standards, but nothing like what you are use to. One thing I miss is seeing the seasons change. Florida is good for some people, but a lot of people come here with high expectations and are disappointed. Do a lot of research in the area you're interested in moving. And do take my advice about the job market very seriously.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:11 PM

350 posts, read 348,887 times
Due to the length of your rant I will respond in two separate posts. First to your complaints about Nebraska:

Quote:
What I hate:
Job market sucks, small town thinking even in the big towns.
Not sure where you live in Nebraska but everywhere I go there's always a job for someone willing to do it - it may not be what you love to do but even in my small town I see hiring signs daily - go to Omaha, Lincoln, or one of the towns along the interstate and there are WAY more jobs. Nebraska has one of the lowest unemployment rates of any state - I've found the economy to be quite good here!

Quote:
Nothing to do, no water, no moutains, no amusements, no tourist stuff.
You may not be able to go every weekend but you can take a long weekend trip to Denver or Estes Park, lot of things to do as far as sporting events, rodeos, amusement parks but not huge, Worlds of Fun in Kansas City, plenty of bars and nightlife esp in the interstate towns, fairs and festivals everywhere, minor league sports teams. Water - there are lakes all over the state, hills (not mountains) - Indian Cave State Park, Lewis & Clark Lake/Northeast Nebraska, Wildlife Management Areas, plenty of parks along i-80, Halsey (pine forest), Scottsbluff, the Pine Ridge (although for most Nebraskans the later two are FAR). Tourist stuff - Aside from the myriad things in Lincoln or Omaha, the Stuhr Museum, the Arch, Pioneer Village, Ogallala, Chimney Rock.

Florida - Disney World/plenty of parks but $$$ - unless you live in Orlando its a long drive from some parts of Florida to get to them. Water - yes it has that but thats why its nice to vacation and not live there - most weekends you can go to one of Nebraska's many lakes. Mountains - who are you kidding, Florida is MUCH flatter than Nebraska - it barely even has hills, the mountains are FAR from Florida and the Rockies are much nicer mountains with far better skiing, hiking, 4wheeling, etc. Tourist stuff - Other than Cape Canaveral (and I think NASA is virtual shutting down) and some of the beaches there's not a lot of history or tourist stuff (ok theres exceptions like St. Augustine but it doesn't have the rich history of pioneer life or Westward expansion that we do here in Nebraska).
[/quote]

Quote:
Extreme weather. We get lots of heat and severe winters. I HATE winters that severe. I get seasonally depressed because of them.
Unfortunately we do have extreme weather. The summers esp this one can be quite humid and terribly hot. Again though this summer the heat has affected most of the country. Hate to break it to you but the winters are not really that severe. There are a handful of below zero days and a number of below zero windchill days but not as much snow as other states and not as cold as a number of places in the Upper Midwest. Also never feels as cold to me out here because less humidity than in places like Upstate New York, Ohio, or Pennsylvania. I could probably deal with a little more cold to get a less hot and humid summer ("global freezing" anyone?) but then again thats preference. You will have terribly hot and humid weather in Florida ALL year, incessant sunshine, and no seasons. If thats not depressing I don't know what it is - "Hey what time of year is it" - oh I'm not sure I have to look at my calendar - the variety of weather is connected to our livelihoods (farming), keeps us entertained/on a roller coaster, and keeps us strong (those who move to more southern climates have a life expectancy of 10 years less on average.) So you may get depressed in Florida by the LACK of seasons.

Quote:
potholes
This is a complaint by citizens of virtually every state who all claim they have the worst roads. Nebraska isn't even close. The worst highways that are under construction that I've seen for potholes or patching jobs is the Chicago area but then they salt the heck out of the roads and are a collossally big city.

Quote:
high taxes that dont proportionately benefit anyone.
High taxes as compared to where? California? No. Massachusetts? No. Illinois? No. Florida? Not sure although you will likely have HIGH property taxes there. Taxes not benefiting anyone is a problem across the country because of the size and scope of our entitlement programs - 2/3 of the federal government and most state budgets goes to entitlement programs which is insane. Relatively we have a well run state with sufficient funding for most programs and endeavors. Many Southern states have anemic funding and are all always slicing programs/underfunded to the point of absurdity and having terrible schools. We have great schools, a nice park system, good infrastructure, I think the state does a great job for a massive 75,000 square mile state with population spreadout everywhere. We may not have the CHEAPEST taxes but we have nice services.

Quote:
I fly rc airplanes, I swear the average wind speed is 20 mph around here. I also like bonsai, good luck keeping them alive in 115 degree weather followed -10 degree weather.
Sorry can't help you there. If you like to go outside good luck enjoying the 100 degree heat and 100% humidity 8 months a year. You will enjoy flying many rc airplanes esp when they crash into the unending canopy of trees or swamps and you get chased out by gators.

Quote:
Theres NOTHING to do here. I know people in florida say the same thing about Florida, but seriously am I exagerating saying that Nebraska is boring? I guess if you like stream fishing you may be happy. dont say hunting because unless you know someone it aint happening.
There are many things to do anywhere you live - some are free, some are not free (oftentimes you have to "pay to play" - boating, amusement parks, 4wheeling isn't free anywhere, you should see the cost of boating like in Florida - $$$, Disney World - $$$). More on this later.

Quote:
I have no friends here either. I grew up poor and so my classmates outcasted me. Of the friend I did have, many are in jail or still doing the same thing they did 15 years ago in highschool.
Look at all the trashy people there are in Florida, the massive amounts of crime, then look at places like Jupiter Island or Palm Beach. Do you not think the same kind of problems go on in Florida? Yes they do and at a much worse scale. Nebraska is a much more solidly middle class state without the great wealth disparities and massive amounts of crime. Societal dysfunction is at its greatest in Florida (well maybe next to California.)

Old 08-02-2011, 07:21 PM

350 posts, read 348,887 times
I second what Not Liking FL says about the job market. DO NOT move there without a job lined up and one that you think is very secure and that pays you adequately to deal with the cost of living. The joke about Florida is that your wages are paid in "sunshine" whereas the cost of living is quite high. You need to only go on the Orlando forum to see the complaints about $8-10/hr wages and $1,000/month 1 bdr apts. It looks like a HORRENDOUS place to live.

That said I would NOT move to most places in the country. With a 9.2% unemployment rate unless you are in the medical field the only places that are safe to live right now are the Upper Midwest and Great Plains states and maybe Texas. I lived in South Carolina before and there were NO jobs, 15-20% unemployment plus in some counties - the state of the economy down south is truly disgraceful. That said Florida is in the same boat with massive unemployment, few corporations to pay large wages, high cost of housing/living, and a declining tourism industry which typically paid very low wages to start with (if the economy in the US in the tubes who is going to come vacation in Florida not many people.) I would not move to Florida unless you are independently wealthy because I would not trust the Florida job market, the security of employment in Florida (esp given that there are 100-200 applicants for each position), or the wages vs. cost of living in Florida. Do not move to Florida or to most states in the Southeast - you do not understand how rough things are out there until you've left the relative security of the Plains states and see what is going on in most of the rest of the country.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:52 PM

Everything SCentralNEGuy stated about the economy in Florida and the Southeast in general is absolutely true. I work in an industry where I have to collect economic information about things such as unemployment, population trends, housing starts, office & residential vacancy rates, and construction dollars spent by locale. I can attest that the Southeast is looking very glum right now, and the three-year forecast numbers do not show too much improvement.

To give you a specific story, I have a friend who relocated to Orlando about four years ago due to a job transfer. She was laid off in 2009 and has only been able to find part-time work barely surpassing minimum wage since that time. She formerly had a professional position making around $60k in a field that required a college degree, but there are so many in her same position applying for the same jobs. She is now trying to go back to school to get in a medical program, but the heavy competition for the few select openings in each program make it extremely difficult. Basically, without a 4.0 GPA you don't stand a chance!

Old 08-03-2011, 08:14 AM

4,179 posts, read 5,780,162 times
Dear skydve76 - I have 2 words for you - Culture shock.
Because that is what you will experience along with your children if you move to Florida.

Yay, Walt Disney World! Of course it will cost you and your family about $100 just to walk thru the gate; and it's the same with all of the other popular attractions. Yay, beaches! Of course the water is filthy, have you ever seen grey water with pollution-foam on it? That's if you are lucky enough to find a public beach; many beaches and beach accesses in Florida are private. So to stay cool you'd better buy a house with a pool. Oh, can't afford that? Yay, temperate climate! It almost never freezes there! Which means that every snake species but 2 in the US lives there; ever had a snake in a tree drop into your boat, or been pushed into a lake and had the water moccasins shoot out from the spot with the waves you cause? That'll get your heart racing! Alligators don't just live in the swamps; they live in ponds on golf courses and old abandoned houses; anywhere that's quiet and cool. They'll snag you, your children, or your pets - oh, they won't eat you, they'll just roll you round and round until they sever an artery or you drown. Then they'll bury you in the mud for a month.

You think that the humidity will be fine? Of course it will! 90 to 100 per cent humidity year round, so that it makes you feel like you are breathing underwater. The sweat doesn't evaporate; you are constantly coated in a sheen of dirty, oily, sticky sweat. Everything you own made of wood will rot; everything you own made of metal will rust - within the 1st year. Unless you are on the beach, there are no 'cooling breezes' - it is hot for all but about 6 weeks out of the year, you can watch it come off of the pavement, the buildings, in waves. You will pray for a hurricane to get a cold breeze and cooler weather for a day or two. But don't worry - even if you lose everything in the next hurricane, your insurance company will show up. Eventually. Probably just before the next hurricane. Where will you live until then? Oh, well, you'll figure it out. Oh, those six weeks of "cold" weather? The humidity makes it feel like it is eating into your bones.

Now, let's talk about people. You have never seen so many people in your life. No, seriously, you haven't. Florida is like a massive beehive; the roads are always packed with people - not only residents but visitors. If a restaurant doesn't have a line there, it's because someone got food poisoning; expect to wait to be seated no matter where you go - if you can afford to eat out. Drive from Jax to Orlando, and you'll see wreck after wreck, in broad daylight, in midweek. No one even slows down; the cops and ambulance will show up eventually. People? Well, you have the residents (who by the way move out as quickly as possible unless they own a large property or business), you have the retirees struggling to survive on their SS, living in small houses or trailer parks, trading their upscale houses up Nawth for any warm place in Florida. Then you have the immigrants - and they come from everywhere; Mexico, South America, Cuba, Pakistan - and you had better be fluent in Spanish if you want a job anywhere in Florida - but don't worry, most of the service-level jobs are taken by the immigrants anyway, so the employers don't have to pay taxes or benefits.

So, you have a mostly-aging population and a younger immigrant crowd without employment, many of whom either are on drugs who deal drugs. Florida is the orgination of the "I-95 Drug Corridor" - perhaps you've heard of it? The drugs come into Florida by boat or plane, and are shipped all over the East Coast by traveling up I-95. You own a plane? Oh, you might get a job alright - you also might get forced into the drug trade, or you might get investigated by the Feds because you own a plane and could be a drug mule. If you do sign up with the cartels, though, remember that they don't care about you, your spouse, or your family, and will kidnap, abuse, molest, or kill them for any infraction or even a percieved insult from you. Of course, if you don't sign up with them, they still might do that anyway... Have you heard of the term "Home invasion"? Get used to it. It's where several criminals kick in doors of family residences, beat (sometimes to death) the residents including the children, steal whatever is available, and leave. It has become such a common occurance that it isn't even reported on the news any more.

And speaking of children - your kids will love the schools. 10-year-olds going thru violent gang initiations, your prepubescent daughter molested in the hallways, your son threatened if he doesn't join in whatever gang activity is going on this week. They'll have to learn Spanish too, just to communicate with their classmates. Education? Are you kidding me? The teachers are more concerned with surviving the day-to-day violence, drug deals, and lack of administrative support to get their pensions and get the hell out of there. Ever met an 8 year-old crack dealer? I have - he was forced into it by the older children, helpless and terrified; and his teachers were ordered - that's ORDERED - by the principal to not call the police, because of the gang repercussions to the teacher and the school.

Bottom line, unless you are very, very rich and can afford a secure and gated community, as well as a private school, you and your children's lives will be more miserable, less secure, and more dangerous.

But, hey, it's always warm and there's so much to DO there! Go! Enjoy! But remember - you won't be able to afford to come back. And yes, you WILL want to.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:40 AM

45 posts, read 56,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post

Sorry can't help you there. If you like to go outside good luck enjoying the 100 degree heat and 100% humidity 8 months a year. You will enjoy flying many rc airplanes esp when they crash into the unending canopy of trees or swamps and you get chased out by gators.
I appreciate the long response and your time responding. However your response is so highly exagerated and biased its funny. This statemet alone throws all your credibility out the window. As if there are just gators running around eating up the general population. Florida is the premier place to fly rc jets, with numerous paved runways over endless bare land. That is a fact. People come from all over the country to attend Rc events there as it is year round flying.

Your response overall does help though. I posted in the Florida forum. Floridans hate florida. Nebraskans are proud of their state! The intereting thing is the reason Floridans hate Florida are almost all the same reasons I want to move from Nebraska. The weather, jobs, taxes, people, boring etc.. Highly interesting. I suppose your whole post could be put in the FLorida forum about Florida. Its just what you make it.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:55 AM

45 posts, read 56,256 times
SCGranny:
Re: Disney World: Been there last year and HATED it. $100? Are you kidding? Try $400. I paid $100 for a few drinks and hotdogs in there. Have you ever even been there?? Maybe since your name is granny you have been there, back in 1950.

Re: Beaches. Uhm beaches are public. Its the ocean! I've been down there 3 times and we just go to the beach where ever. the only gotcha is parking but hey you cant go to downtown omaha without paying for parking.

Re Eating out: I wait 45 to an hour all the time in Omaha. All the time.

Re: Snakes. Fly RC planes out at Chalco Hills (wherespann lake), I stepped on a rattle snake.

Re Alligators: Those are cute and i am going to get one for a pet. This alligator theme is FUNNY. Nebraskans believe if you go to Florida you will be eaten by an alligator!!!! LOL LOL LOL!

Re: Humudity: Point taken. That does condern me after this week. Around here I felt dirty the whole time. nasty!

Re Drugs: I didnt consider that as an employement option. Thanks for the tip! Ok in all seriousness the job is an issue and that would have to be resolved. I am in a highly specialized field and they are hiring for me there.

Re Home invastion: I own 50 guns. My carries concealed. I want to shoot someone, please give me a reason. PLEASE someone break into my house. (This is sarcasm by the way).

Re molestors: I have two that live on my block. We have 10 year olds molesting 5 year olds right here in Omaha.

I'll investigate your claims about the schools but given your crazy exagerations I have my doubts. Im sure there are bad parts of town but up in North O we could say the same thing about the schools.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:01 PM

skydve76 - I saw your posts in the Florida forum, and it might have helped knowing prior to receiving these responses that (1) You are looking primarily at Jacksonville, and (2) You currently live in Omaha. Although most of Florida has beaches, tourists, and retirees, there are differences that exist from place to place. To me, comparing somewhere like Miami to Jacksonville would be like comparing apples to oranges.

I do have a couple of family members that live very close to Jacksonville Beach, and there was a period in my life 10+ years ago that I, too, seriously considered moving there. I have not visited J'ville since 2005, so keep in mind that my perspective is a few years old. In fact, most of my vacation time since then has been in Omaha and other parts of Nebraska & the upper Midwest, lol.

Climate
Because of it's location in the far northeast part of the state, J'ville has a climate more similar to Savannah, GA or Charleston, SC .... just a little warmer. There will be many occasions in the winter where the temperature will dip below freezing, mostly at night. It is rare that the temps will fall below 20F, though. However, the humidity is the killer in both the summer and winter. A very humid 40F can chill you to the bone. Unless you are on the water, I think the J'ville humidity during the summer is almost unbearable. Some people say that nowhere is more humid than Houston, TX, but J'ville could really give it a run for its money. On the most humid of days, you will wake up in the morning and discover that your car is covered in a murky film that is caused by the foggy sea air from the night before. No, it is not the same as the road salt that is laid out in Omaha during snowy weather, but it is still annoying. I have not experienced anything to this level in any other part of Florida or the Atlantic coast, other than Brunswick, GA, which is relatively close to J'ville. If you think Omaha is humid, you will be in for a surprise from June through August. For northern Florida, I really prefer the climate in the northwest part of the state simply because of the differences in humidity. You really ought to check out the area during January and July to get a true impression. If you normally go in October, you are experiencing the best time of year.

Hurricanes
Luckily, J'ville seems to miss the brunt of the really nasty hurricane weather, but they get the "residual" effects these storms cause, such as all the tornadoes that are spawned in the northeast quadrants of the hurricanes that hit the Gulf of Mexico. Since the probability is a little lower for hurricane damage than, say, Pensacola, your homeowners insurance may not be as high.

Crime
Yes, Omaha does appear to have its share of crime, but it is only prevalent in two small parts of the city. J'ville also has crime, and theirs is more geographically spread out. Simply moving into a nicer area will not necessarily shield you from violent crime, unfortunately. I wouldn't say it is beyond control though, unless things have changed in the last five years. I would recommend staying out of most of the northern sections of the J'ville city limits. This area seems to be the most dangerous.

Alligators
I had to include this one. No, I wouldn't say that you will have as many encounters up in the northeast part of the state as you would down below Orlando and towards the Everglades, lol. However, beware because the Okefenokee swamp is not too far away. . Seriously, though, alligator encounters DO make the news there on occasion, which I know for a fact. I even saw one with my own eyes not too far from my grandparent's beach house in northwest FL as a child. It was lurking just outside of a grove of trees next to the water on the outskirts of their little beach town.

Culture
Honestly, I think everyone has a completely different perspective on what they do and don't like, and no one can have all the right answers for another person. I love water, but I don't necessarily have to be close to an ocean to get the same satisfaction. A good lake or river will do just fine, and Nebraska is LOADED with those . I also love to go for an occasional swim, but I think Jaws ruined my appreciation for swimming in the ocean years ago. Therefore, a lake will easily suffice. As for the arts/theatre/music/history scene, I think Omaha wins that battle, hands down. I love that kind of stuff, and I cram as much in as possible every time I visit. When it comes to shopping, I think they are both on par with each other. As for outdoor activities, other than the beach, I'd give Omaha the win due to their extensive park and trail system. Some of those higher taxes you pay in Omaha are definitely put to good use around the city with things like their park system (not that I'm endorsing high taxes, though). It's all give-and-take, I guess..... you get what you pay for. Oh, and the zoo! I'm sorry, but Omaha's zoo is just spectacular, and it is so much more affordable than most of the zoos or aquariums anywhere in the Southeast US.

Food
Outside of seafood, I think Omaha & J'ville are mostly similar, except that Omaha has more local establishments and fewer chains as a percentage of the total. For seafood, Omaha cannot hold a candle to J'ville, although Shucks is pretty good.

Traffic
Florida traffic basically stinks in most metro areas. However, J'ville did (as of 2005) seem to have a better planned road system than some of the other Florida cities. Many of their secondary roads were put in place well ahead of the suburban sprawl and were automatically made into 4-6 lanes in anticipation of growth. That, I feel, has helped them out tremendously. On the other hand, I think their interstate flow near downtown is pretty rough, though. Omaha's grid system does help with their traffic flow, but again, it occasionally looks like I-80 is backed up during their peak hours. As for potholes, Jacksonville gets the nod for having few, if any.

Anyway, I hope this information helps. You may get some more specific answers if you post inside of the Omaha or Jacksonville forums instead of the state-level forums.

Last edited by geog-fanatic; 08-03-2011 at 02:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska