U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 10:21 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,150,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geog-fanatic View Post
I believe there are a few people on this forum who have moved from Nebraska to Florida, so they may chime in soon.

I don't live in FL, but I live "next door", and I have a lot of family there that I visit fairly regularly. Housing prices have definitely fallen significantly, but I cannot imagine that they would be less expensive than Nebraska in most places. I know for a fact the majority of FL locations still exceed north Georgia pricing, unless the neighborhoods are run down. What specific parts of FL have you researched the prices?

One big plus is that FL does not have a state tax. Their property taxes are also lower than Nebraska as a whole, but homeowner's insurance will eat you alive! My sister's home is within 1/2 mile of the bay that sits behind Destin, FL, and her homeowner's insurance costs almost as much as her mortgage on a $220k house.

I think many people once thought Florida was a great place, but the crime rates have risen so sharply in some areas, along with the COL, that a lot of people have reconsidered. Many retirees are now looking at the Carolina & Mid Atlantic coast lines as a different option because of these issues. Good luck with your decision, though. Everyone should try to make the most of their life and go where they will be happiest.

I live in McCook, NE now and moved from here in 1983 to Garden City, KS then to Orlando, FL after a divorce. I was 25 and mad at the world. I went to beach every weekend for 6 months and worked low paying jobs until I got on at Coca-Cola Foods.

Pay was okay but not enough to buy a house with. My mom moved there 2 yrs earlier and my brother worked at Cape canaveral (sp) until this July 22 when he got Obama's pink slip.

I liked it there but when I went on vacation I always came back to McCook,NE and I finely got sick of high humidity and NO season change.

I moved to Indianapolis, IN where they have snow in winter, never thought I would miss it, and lived there and loved it. I am disabled now and moved back to McCook because every thing here is cheaper since I am on a fixed income.

I have a lot of good memories in Florida and we plan on visiting in next couple of yrs but will not live there again.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:18 AM

45 posts, read 94,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Haha Granny I think I've succeeded if he hates me more than you, usually people find that you have strong opinions but I guess I must do too! By the way the winters are not severe try the Dakotas, try Wisconsin, try Michigan, try Minnesota, try Upstate New York, try a number of different places that are colder than Nebraska.

I lived in South Dakota for 2 years, the winters were more mild back then. But I know North dakota is worse.

While Nebraskas winters may not be the worst possible winters, they do have periods of being severe.

I'm glad your goal is to make me hate you by annoying me and being unproductive because you have absolutely nothing to do. You are defintaley from Nebraska.

No wonder you dont thin Nebraska is boring, you can sit on your fat butt anywhere and talk crap on an internet forum.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:19 AM

696 posts, read 1,502,131 times
So you hate living in Nebraska skydve76.

Your posts show that you will never find a place you love,
it will just be a place you hate less then Nebraska.

You are not going to get much support or help in a forum with most
of its members living in the place you hate the most.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe_T3K View Post
So you hate living in Nebraska skydve76.

Your posts show that you will never find a place you love,
it will just be a place you hate less then Nebraska.

You are not going to get much support or help in a forum with most
of its members living in the place you hate the most.
Please tell me where I say I hate nebraska. I said there are things I hate such as winter.

Never anywhere did I say I hate Nebraska.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydve76 View Post

What I hate:
Job market sucks, small town thinking even in the big towns.
Nothing to do, no water, no moutains, no amusements, no tourist stuff.
Extreme weather. We get lots of heat and severe winters. I HATE winters that severe. I get seasonally depressed because of them.
potholes
high taxes that dont proportionately benefit anyone.

I fly rc airplanes, I swear the average wind speed is 20 mph around here. I also like bonsai, good luck keeping them alive in 115 degree weather followed -10 degree weather.

Theres NOTHING to do here. I know people in florida say the same thing about Florida, but seriously am I exagerating saying that Nebraska is boring? I guess if you like stream fishing you may be happy. dont say hunting because unless you know someone it aint happening.

I have no friends here either. I grew up poor and so my classmates outcasted me. Of the friend I did have, many are in jail or still doing the same thing they did 15 years ago in highschool.

My family sucks. So leaving people behind is not an issue.
From your original post. If it quacks it is a duck. LOL

Old 08-05-2011, 09:31 AM

I said ther are things I hate about it, things that apparently can be in any state. I did not say I HATE nebraska. Learn how to read please.

Man this forum is full of trolls.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:

Man this forum is full of trolls.
From the king of trolls.

You only say what you hate about Nebraska and what you like/might hate about Florida.

Last edited by JustMe_T3K; 08-05-2011 at 09:49 AM..

Old 08-05-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe_T3K View Post
From the king of trolls.

You only say what you hate about Nebraska and what you like/might hate about Florida.
Thats not trolling. You just take offense to it for no reason.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Thats not trolling. You just take offense to it for no reason.

I don't take offense to any of this. You have the right to your opinion.

Your opinion and more importantly the delivery of it gives us all an idea
of your personality.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:34 PM

163 posts, read 322,454 times
Op-

You have to understand, coming in with such hostility will only attract emotional responses. I get why you wouldn't like Nebraska-- I'm certainly no fan, but you have to try be level-headed about your whole situation. Nowhere is perfect, and it's not fair to Florida to pin your happiness to it. There will be things that suck about Florida, too. Humidity and traffic being the negatives I remember most from my few trips there. As long as you accept that (being aware isn't enough) you'll be fine. Just try to remember that you're not moving out of Hell, or into Heaven. Nebraska isn't so bad, and Florida isn't so great.

I was in the same boat as you. I was really unhappy, and felt trapped in Nebraska. I hated it here. Consequently, I projected all of my unrealistic hopes onto some far off place. It just set me up for disappointment, since there was no way that any city could live up to the hype in my head. I'm still looking for a place to go; I don't fit in at all in Nebraska, but I've since made peace with this place, and it's let me get a much clearer picture of what I want. I suggest you sincerely try to do the same.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska