Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 03:52 PM

24 posts, read 69,717 times

Advertisements

Having moved from Nebraska to Florida 7 years ago I can definitely say the grass is always greener. Florida is not great. Cost of living is twice as high yet the wages aren't twice as much for most jobs. Other than the 3 weeks it gets cool during the winter the heat is pretty much non relenting and quite annoying. Unemployment in Florida runs rampant and unless you have a years worth of savings or an advanced degree in something that is highly sought (medical), you will struggle and be just as unhappy here.

Traffic in Florida is the worst I've seen other than perhaps LA or Atlanta..yet they are always improving their roads and public transit, and Florida is not. More cars in the same number of lanes year after year.
You sound like someone that has other issues that aren't going to be solved by a change of scenery. I've been in that state of mind and no matter where you go...you are you. No place is perfect and if you're unhappy you will focus on the bad things about that place and dream that some place else is paradise.

However, bashing Nebraska in a Nebraska forum will not make you friends and won't give you answers to the questions you ask (as I'm hoping you see). But with the attitude you're bringing moving is not your answer. A change is needed..but it's an internal one.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:07 AM

300 posts, read 1,179,040 times
Every one needs to understand that what you love about Nebraska might be exactly what someone else hates. Being rude, immature, acting annoyed or mocking that person for their personal opinions of something is short-minded and impolite.
Whether or not that person came off alittle harsh in their original post or not, we should all respect each other. I did not get a sense that the original post was trolling. It may have come off alittle rude or superior, but it's hard to get intention across over the internet.

There are many things I don't like about Nebraska, about Lincoln, that doesn't mean I hate it here. Even if I did, it doesn't mean that you have the right to belittle me for thinking so. While I could be more tactful in how I express that "hate", you just add fuel to the fire in responding by being rude. (universal "you" there people)

My husband, daughter, and I will be moving to California - more specifically Los Angeles - after Brandon and I graduate college.
After all the horrible and nasty horror stories we've heard, we're still insistent upon it. We tell people and they literally act like that want to pat our heads and say "that's nice dear".
If you think LA is a cesspool, that's fine - we don't. If you think we're being stupid - that's fine - again, we don't. It's our lives and we know we what need to do to be happy. But, saying that LA is a cesspool and that we're stupid is a borderline attack and should be phrased carefully. Just because I have different opinions, just because we want different things, doesn't mean I'm beneath you. The same goes to the OP, or any member of this board. (Trolls not withstanding)

Everyone is allowed to have an opinion, but we should be kind in how we express it. Where is that Nebraska hospitality, that Nebraska kindness that we so proudly claim? I don't see it in this thread.

So he hates Nebraska, how does that effect you? So he has complaints, so what?
I love being a mom, that doesn't mean I don't have the right to complain when my daughter is being a PITA. I also love my husband, but that doesn't mean I can't complain when he's being one too.

Let's all be nice to each other here eh?

OP -
Most people on this forum, and I respect them all dearly, are incredibly loyal to Nebraska and will defend her (him? it?) until they die.
While I admire their convictions, it seems their loyalty can come off a bit brash at times.
For this I apologize. Nebraska is known for it's kindness, but obviously some on this forum have forgotten their manners.

I have friends in Florida and while I'm freezing my BUTT off here in January, they're posting pictures of their camping trip near the beach. Oh, that drives me mad!!!
They all say that it completely depends on where you live. Most of my friends are in their upper-20's to mid-30's, some have families and some don't, and none of them have struggled with unemployment. They all make a decent living and most comfortably own homes.
The humidity can be KILLER, but it's usually doable. If you don't complain too much with our most humid days, then you should be ok down there, though it'll take some getting used to.
The winters are wonderful by my standards. I used to love snow, but in the last few years have grown to dislike it. I wouldn't mind visiting snow for a few days, but after that I'm done.

I would apply for jobs down there and make sure you have something lined up before getting there.
Also you should be able to check around for crime maps of the city you want to move to, that should help you pick areas that you will feel comfortable living in.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by SunshineSanity; 08-10-2011 at 03:19 AM..

Old 08-10-2011, 03:44 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,193,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerahrtlu View Post
Every one needs to understand that what you love about Nebraska might be exactly what someone else hates. Being rude, immature, acting annoyed or mocking that person for their personal opinions of something is short-minded and impolite.
Whether or not that person came off alittle harsh in their original post or not, we should all respect each other. I did not get a sense that the original post was trolling. It may have come off alittle rude or superior, but it's hard to get intention across over the internet.

There are many things I don't like about Nebraska, about Lincoln, that doesn't mean I hate it here. Even if I did, it doesn't mean that you have the right to belittle me for thinking so. While I could be more tactful in how I express that "hate", you just add fuel to the fire in responding by being rude. (universal "you" there people)

My husband, daughter, and I will be moving to California - more specifically Los Angeles - after Brandon and I graduate college.
After all the horrible and nasty horror stories we've heard, we're still insistent upon it. We tell people and they literally act like that want to pat our heads and say "that's nice dear".
If you think LA is a cesspool, that's fine - we don't. If you think we're being stupid - that's fine - again, we don't. It's our lives and we know we what need to do to be happy. But, saying that LA is a cesspool and that we're stupid is a borderline attack and should be phrased carefully. Just because I have different opinions, just because we want different things, doesn't mean I'm beneath you. The same goes to the OP, or any member of this board. (Trolls not withstanding)

Everyone is allowed to have an opinion, but we should be kind in how we express it. Where is that Nebraska hospitality, that Nebraska kindness that we so proudly claim? I don't see it in this thread.

So he hates Nebraska, how does that effect you? So he has complaints, so what?
I love being a mom, that doesn't mean I don't have the right to complain when my daughter is being a PITA. I also love my husband, but that doesn't mean I can't complain when he's being one too.

Let's all be nice to each other here eh?

OP -
Most people on this forum, and I respect them all dearly, are incredibly loyal to Nebraska and will defend her (him? it?) until they die.
While I admire their convictions, it seems their loyalty can come off a bit brash at times.
For this I apologize. Nebraska is known for it's kindness, but obviously some on this forum have forgotten their manners.

I have friends in Florida and while I'm freezing my BUTT off here in January, they're posting pictures of their camping trip near the beach. Oh, that drives me mad!!!
They all say that it completely depends on where you live. Most of my friends are in their upper-20's to mid-30's, some have families and some don't, and none of them have struggled with unemployment. They all make a decent living and most comfortably own homes.
The humidity can be KILLER, but it's usually doable. If you don't complain too much with our most humid days, then you should be ok down there, though it'll take some getting used to.
The winters are wonderful by my standards. I used to love snow, but in the last few years have grown to dislike it. I wouldn't mind visiting snow for a few days, but after that I'm done.

I would apply for jobs down there and make sure you have something lined up before getting there.
Also you should be able to check around for crime maps of the city you want to move to, that should help you pick areas that you will feel comfortable living in.

Good luck!!!
Look at the OPs post. Seriously how could somebody expect hospitality if they completely attack the state? I don't get why you think he is due respect but we aren't. Yes we are a humble, empathic state. We are people that will stand up for ourselves and not just let people walk all over us. So please understand that part of Nebraska culture is to understand that you deserve what you dish out. Got it?

Second. He talked about our horrendous job market, nothing to do and how terrible our weather is. If you hop on over to the Omaha board you will see several floridians that are ex-Nebraskans state how the climate in florida is less tolerable than ours. Our weather is not Southern California which some of hate and many of us actually prefer. As a matter of fact most of us really don't consider weather that big of a factor except for the people that like the seasons with a few dramatic weather events thrown in.

Third. Our job market is not bad. We have a 4.1% unemployement rate which is the second lowest in the US. Omaha is continuously in the top 3 for best standard of living with a very diverse job market which includes 5 fortune 500 companies and 9 fortune 1000 companies. If you cannot make it here then your chances of making it economically in Florida are extremely grim.

Fourth. Things to do in Nebraska is very diverse and the city of Omaha is starting to be compared to cities like Austin and Portland for arts, music and culture. Omaha is loaded with things to do to the point where we read in the national media where ex-New Yorkers talk about the only thing missing is a major league team (if you do not count the Huskers which College football is the #2 most popular US sport). Top #10 US concert ticket sales in one arena, concert cove and other facilities in the downtown area all have concerts usually at the same time. 3 of the nations top 100 festivals thrive in Omaha. A big time art museum in the Josyln Art musueum. Nationally ranked college tournaments every year here as well as non-college major sporting tournaments show up every year. We have the CWS for two weaks out of the year, three division 1 schools within a 50 mile radius (two within a 5 mile radius). We have the flashy pedestrian bridge which is making top 10 of the world's must see bridges, Holland Performing Arts center where numerous traveling acts, shows and stand up are performed. We are noted for having some of the best, most diverse array of restaurants. We are also a top 20 gaming mecca. We have several semi-pro sports in the area. A world-class zoo that is growing faster than any other zoo by the day.

Consider this. The Omaha core counties grew by almost 15% in the last decade. If we only had Siberia like weather with no jobs or entertainment then why are people moving here at a rate exceeding 1.5 times the national average? Do people move to Omaha just because they are bored? No. People move here because the weather is good enough, the job market is excellent from every vantage-point and the entertainment scene is hot and growing with leaps and bounds.

Fifth. Nebraska's Geographic is not a simple flat plain. There are numerous formations that draw crowds including the Sandhills, Loess Hills, the badlands, the panhandle arid landscape, many rivers including a top 10 rafting river and thousands of lakes. Anybody who says Nebraska is nothing but a flat plain is in-fact either a troll or ignorant.

Everything the OP said was a re-hash of a bunch of myths that originated in the 1940s and have minimal to no merit.

If you want respect then you must give respect. Nebraskan's are good for giving it to all people, even to strangers, until they start stepping on everybody's toes. If you think this is a bad people trait then good luck finding any culture that values themselves getting walked all over.

Last edited by Omahahonors; 08-10-2011 at 04:19 PM..

Old 08-10-2011, 06:27 PM

350 posts, read 740,407 times
Quote:
Good luck!!!
We are voicing our own opinions/experiences with Florida/the South and their respective job markets. Wouldn't it be great if you could get a disclaimer or advice before you moved somewhere? In fact thats what people come on City-Data Forum. That's great if your friends have great careers, maybe they live in a part of Florida where the cost of living is affordable or their wages are high. Maybe they found a job before the economy went bust and are secure in it. But by and large if OP thinks the Omaha job market is bad he is probably not going to fare well elsewhere.

Maybe some of the things that we would hate about Florida they enjoy and maybe some of the things we love about Nebraska they would hate. We are probably biased on here because we all have lived elsewhere and like Nebraska best so maybe OP should be posting on the Florida forum where he can talk to people who either love or are critical about Florida. But if you come on here attacking our state we will defend it.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:06 PM

300 posts, read 1,179,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
So please understand that part of Nebraska culture is to understand that you deserve what you dish out. Got it?
Wow... That's a horrible attitude to have. I'm glad that the Nebraskans I know are much kinder than that. I can't say that I've seen that "side" of Nebraska culture - but then again, I've only lived here my whole life.
An eye for an eye eh? I pray that I raise my daughter to not share that view. I believe in maturity, kindness, respect, and understanding.

Also buddy, you're preaching to the choir. All the stuff you listed I already know, so there's no need to tick stuff off on a list for my sake.

I wasn't rude in my post, so there is no need to be condescending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
We are voicing our own opinions/experiences with Florida/the South and their respective job markets.
Annnnnnd I was expressing my opinion that it should be done in a respectful and tasteful manner. The OP's frustrations and annoyances with Nebraska shouldn't be considered an open pass to jump all over the guy.
I believe in being kind, no matter if someone shows that same kindness back to me. Maybe this world would be a better place if more people did that.

There's a difference between voicing an opinion, or disagreeing with someone, or giving someone a reality check and being completely rude. You can do all of those and still uphold your morals.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:30 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,193,711 times
Quote:
Wow... That's a horrible attitude to have. I'm glad that the Nebraskans I know are much kinder than that. I can't say that I've seen that "side" of Nebraska culture - but then again, I've only lived here my whole life.
An eye for an eye eh? I pray that I raise my daughter to not share that view. I believe in maturity, kindness, respect, and understanding.

Also buddy, you're preaching to the choir. All the stuff you listed I already know, so there's no need to tick stuff off on a list for my sake.

I wasn't rude in my post, so there is no need to be condescending.

Annnnnnd I was expressing my opinion that it should be done in a respectful and tasteful manner. The OP's frustrations and annoyances with Nebraska shouldn't be considered an open pass to jump all over the guy.
I believe in being kind, no matter if someone shows that same kindness back to me. Maybe this world would be a better place if more people did that.

There's a difference between voicing an opinion, or disagreeing with someone, or giving someone a reality check and being completely rude. You can do all of those and still uphold your morals.
Again. Why should somebody come on here deserving respect when they themselves talk with total disrespect. You are not going to find any board that will be 'nice' enough to shut up and take it. I'm sorry aerahrtlu but you are asking too much.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:03 AM

45 posts, read 112,509 times
aerahrtlu: Thanks for your kinds responses. Your response coupled with a few others I am taking seriously. The SC guy and Granny person live on this board talking trash all day long.

I have to disagree that this has anything to do with Nebraska. I see this on many boards about a variety of subjects. There are people with no lives who just gang up on anyone, twisting what they say, feeding them false information, and trying to internet bully them.

They do this for "fun" and in a vane attempt to boost their self esteem. Its sad but before the internet these people basically started nerd clubs with decoder rings. Now they just flock to the bulletin boards.

It would not suprise if both SCGuy and Granny do not even live in Nebraska, or the US for that matter! I say instead of doing all that go to the gym instead!

Once again, thank you!

Old 08-11-2011, 09:54 AM

For anyone who may be offended by my OP, I did use the word HATE but I did not say I HATE nebraska. There are just things I HATE that happen here, for example Winter. So I would hate winter in any state that is similar or worse than Nebraska in that reguards. I also hate high taxes, especially when I dont see a lot of benefit from them. I know what I am talking about because south dakota has way better roads, parks etc and it does not have any state taxes. My 1998 toyota, back in 1999 cost $45 to register in SD. Today, my 1998 toyota cost me over $100 in Nebraska. While I do not hate Nebraska, I think it is very corrupted politcally and there are a lot of fat cats running it. The politicians do not atually represent the majority of Nebraskans. This is my opinion though.

I grew up in Nebraska. My entire family is from here. I left for 4 years while in the Air Force, lived two years in Aviano Italy, and two years in South Dakota. While in South Dakota, the winters there were not as bad as the winters here. I was in Italy when that massive snow storm hit in 1997 or 98.

As I said before, I grew up poor in Nebraska. Single parent family, mom addicted to drugs. I grew up in an area Called Belmont in Lincoln. Back in the late 80s this was a ghetto similar to North Omaha. Mainly because the sewer system was not very good so it smelled of raw sewage for miles around that area. They fixed the sewer (big white ball things) and now it is a retirement community. The welfare housing I grew up in is still there but there is little left to indicate what it once was. Its been hard for me to watch my middle class peers surpass me only because they have resources I never had. I had to join the military to get out of poverty and get the oppurtunities I deserved. I also have bad memories of local town people shunning me, treating me like dirt etc only because I was poor. I worked at McDonalds (Havelock area) when I was 16 and I actually had people threaten to kill me because I messed up their hamburger. This happened a lot back then.

So perhaps some of my frusteration is showing through. But in reality, given my conditions I grew up in, I think it would be the same in any state and I would face the same challenges. I recognize that and try not touse it against Nebraska. However, Nebraska in that respect is not better than any other state I can attest.

However, I can also attest that there are lots of trashy people in Nebraska, especially in North Platte, Havelock, and North Lincoln. There are always going to be trashy people everywhere and it depends on where you live. Trying to make a generalization about people of state, crime, povertry etc is stupid because the state is so big and it depends on where you are.

I'm sure someone from North Platte is going to jump on me now.

There are also other factors in why I want to move that I wont share. I guess I am looking at my life and tryig do decide if I should experience something different instead of playing it safe. Yes, moving to Florida is a risk. But I dont want to take a stupid risk. So I am trying to evaluate the risk and apparently this is the wrong place to do that.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:11 AM

350 posts, read 740,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydve76 View Post
There are also other factors in why I want to move that I wont share. I guess I am looking at my life and tryig do decide if I should experience something different instead of playing it safe. Yes, moving to Florida is a risk. But I dont want to take a stupid risk. So I am trying to evaluate the risk and apparently this is the wrong place to do that.
Well you came on here to ask our experiences with moving to Florida/the South and living in said regions. And thats what we've shared. And when you told us what we hated about Nebraska we told you what we hated about Florida. And when you attacked us we attacked you.

You have told us nothing about your education, background etc so we have assumed you are an unskilled minimum wage worker who in our opinion would not be better off in a state with a higher cost of living and a more competitive job market. Unless you tell us differently we can't help you, moreover this being a Nebraska forum we are more able and are more inclined to help you if you ask about Nebraska, if you want to ask about Florida ask on the Florida forum they may know more than us about it. Most of us on here are going to have had bad experiences in Florida because we moved back to Nebraska and are perhaps in that way biased but at least you are hearing our side of the story from your fellow Nebraskans

Old 08-11-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Well you came on here to ask our experiences with moving to Florida/the South and living in said regions. And thats what we've shared. And when you told us what we hated about Nebraska we told you what we hated about Florida. And when you attacked us we attacked you.

Did you move to Florida then move back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska