U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 11:46 AM

45 posts, read 94,532 times

Advertisements

I have the Florida bug. I would like to move there. I would like to hear from those who have moved from Nebraska how it compared, what you missed, what you don't miss etc.

What I hate:
Job market sucks, small town thinking even in the big towns.
Nothing to do, no water, no moutains, no amusements, no tourist stuff.
Extreme weather. We get lots of heat and severe winters. I HATE winters that severe. I get seasonally depressed because of them.
potholes
high taxes that dont proportionately benefit anyone.

I fly rc airplanes, I swear the average wind speed is 20 mph around here. I also like bonsai, good luck keeping them alive in 115 degree weather followed -10 degree weather.

Theres NOTHING to do here. I know people in florida say the same thing about Florida, but seriously am I exagerating saying that Nebraska is boring? I guess if you like stream fishing you may be happy. dont say hunting because unless you know someone it aint happening.

I have no friends here either. I grew up poor and so my classmates outcasted me. Of the friend I did have, many are in jail or still doing the same thing they did 15 years ago in highschool.

My family sucks. So leaving people behind is not an issue.

I am married, own a home, have 2 kids ages 5 and 2. My wife stays home.

What I like about Florida:
Ocean
Heat year round (but not extreme heat)
Housing is cheaper
taxes are cheaper
Palm Trees
Flying clubs
bonsai clubs

What I may not like about Florida:
Extreme humidity year round
The job market may be even worse. I work in health insurance not sure how easy it will be to get a job.
A lot of Floridans are bitter because the good jobs go to non natives who gain epxerience otuside of Florida then move there. Also lots of near retirees doesnt help.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:53 PM

21,093 posts, read 23,933,769 times
Sorry, no one has ever moved to Florida.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Sorry, no one has ever moved to Florida.
Uhm.. sure they have, and I would like to hear from them.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:31 PM

696 posts, read 1,500,287 times
Well if they moved to Florida you may get a better response in the Florida forums.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:48 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,817,680 times
I am not sure how you imagined that Nebraska has a poor job market and that Florida will have cheaper housing.

I also find it funny that you think it is boring. If you want the ocean then yes Nebraska isn't for you, but culture and entertainment will be cheaper here than in Florida.

It sounds like you hate it here so I suggest looking elsewhere though.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:12 PM

JustMe: I am looking for people who might of moved than came back as well. But yes I have posted in teh florida forums as well.

iamjacobm: Do research. Housing is cheaper in florida due to the bad housing Market. Taxes are cheaper too. Job market in Nebraska is tough to get into unless you are one of those born into it. I know that the "tough job market" is somewhat subjective. I guess I cant complain considering I make 70K a year which may be hard to keep going to Florida...

I think it is boring. Why is that funny? Am I missing something here? Tell me why it is not boring!

Maybe I do hate it here but that doesnt mean I wont hate it more in Florida. Hence the research.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:29 PM

I have done research 7 of Florida's cities were ranked in the 10 worst housing markets for 2011 according to Forbes. Where is your research from?

Look at the unemployment rates. under 5% in Nebraska over 10% in Florida that is pretty cut and dry facts.

And I think it is funny, because I find it far from boring here.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
I have done research 7 of Florida's cities were ranked in the 10 worst housing markets for 2011 according to Forbes. Where is your research from?
A bad housing market = cheap houses for buyers man. Looking at prices comparing to what I paid here, I can get more house for the money and cheaper taxes.

Boring: No bodies of water, lots of snow but no skiing or snowboarding, no amusement parks, very few recreational areas, no good rc clubs. So for me I find it boring.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:38 PM

You are correct about the UE rate but keep in mind that the florida economy is more service based. There are tons of professional jobs open if you have experience. The UE rate is inflated due the amount of unskilled labor that is unemployed, because less people are taking vacations etc..

But I did mention that is a concern of mine in the original post. Something I have yet to research.

I consider nebraska's job market poor as there isnt a lot of high paying jobs, since very few major corporations.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:46 PM

It also means the houses value will be less than you bought it for 3 years from now with no bright future in sight for Florida. If you do move and purchase you had better be willing to stick there for at least 10 years if not more and hope the market turns around. So I would be sure you will like it there because if you don't and try to get out quickly you will be in the ****.

That is fair for what you want Nebraska doesn't sound like a good place for you entertainment wise. But you asked if you were exaggerating how boring Nebraska is and I personally think you are. It just doesn't fill your needs is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska