U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 05:12 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,811,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by junk2k06 View Post
Flood control? What's the last time Lincoln saw a flood? Antelope valley is a complete waste of public $. I can't believe a "fiscally conservative" state allowed this to happen.
Ask that same question in Omaha 6 months ago. There is a whole lot of the city that was in a floodplain before this project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 06:23 PM

4,231 posts, read 7,243,410 times
I can't remember what year it was but in the 1950's Lincoln had a bad flood. I moved to the area in 1964 and I can remember parts of Lincoln being underwater. Thanks to the Antelope Creek project this year we probably dodged a bullet.

GL2

Old 08-23-2011, 06:30 PM

20,787 posts, read 35,832,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junk2k06 View Post
Flood control? What's the last time Lincoln saw a flood? Antelope valley is a complete waste of public $. I can't believe a "fiscally conservative" state allowed this to happen.
Nebraska isn't a fiscally conservative state. This isn't new.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:07 PM

350 posts, read 627,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I can't remember what year it was but in the 1950's Lincoln had a bad flood. I moved to the area in 1964 and I can remember parts of Lincoln being underwater. Thanks to the Antelope Creek project this year we probably dodged a bullet.

GL2
Yeah but Antelope Creek doesn't flow from the Colorado Mtns, Platte or Missouri River does it? Lincoln is higher up than Omaha from the Missouri a few hundred feet and comfortably away from the Platte. Why did Lincoln have the flood - was it a lot of rain or what?

Weirder yet in my mind was the budget deficits we had in Lincoln in the 2010 fiscal year. It was never my impression that Nebraska had been hit hard by the recession but then we must have been. That said Lincoln should try to keep itself comfortably within its budget so that in lean years (because we are all tied to the ag economy) they are not running into trouble. It reminds me of people who don't "save for a rainy day". The rest of us all budget states don't. Nebraska as a state is not fiscally conservative, Nebraskans are, many municipalities are, many counties are. Nebraska is not alone - most other state governments in the country don't budget probably. That being said though, the largest expenditure in this and many states is social services, expenditures of which increase in hard times. Additionally the states are being imposed upon by large unfunded mandates from the federal government which strains the state government's budget even more.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:04 AM

13 posts, read 37,439 times
Thank you for the flood info, etc. However, that was not the topic for discussion in this forum. Please, I am trying to get info on relocating to this area. Thank you.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy2bjewels View Post
Thank you for the flood info, etc. However, that was not the topic for discussion in this forum. Please, I am trying to get info on relocating to this area. Thank you.
I thought we have already given you information. I know that you are not happy moving to Lincoln/Nebraska but don't take it out on the forum or on the people you meet when you come out here. Most of us wouldn't be happy in DC. But if you have any questions you have not already asked ask away.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:01 PM

4,231 posts, read 7,243,410 times
[quote=SCentralNEGuy;20582307]Yeah but Antelope Creek doesn't flow from the Colorado Mtns, Platte or Missouri River does it? Lincoln is higher up than Omaha from the Missouri a few hundred feet and comfortably away from the Platte. Why did Lincoln have the flood - was it a lot of rain or what?

********************************************Look at a topographical map of Lincoln SCentralNEGuy. Lincolnn has three or four watersheds inside the city limits. When Lincoln was founded it was one huge Salt Marsh with several creeks dumping in to the marshy area. Indians came from all over to scrape up Salt from the surface deposits. Salt was a big factor in the settling of Lincoln. During the 1950's several of the small creeks were dredged and widened and levees built to handle floods. The Antelope Creek project was just the most recent of many projects. Some of the Hydrological engineers at UNL think that without the recent Antelope Creek work downtown Lincoln might have had three or four feet of water standing on "O" Street from West to East.

GL2

Old 08-24-2011, 02:08 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,811,707 times
Sorry about the thread hijack! I was just trying to point out some of the great new parks/trails the city has to offer not some sort of public funding debate.

FYI be prepared to see a TON of people dressed in red next Saturday. It is the first Husker game of the season and the place goes crazy. Memorial Stadium(which I am sure you have seen by now, I love that place) becomes the 3rd largest city in Nebraska on game days. Avoid downtown if you don't want to get caught in a mess of people! Or head down there if you want to see a ton of street activity and have some fun. There is a lot to do on game days in Lincoln.

If you have any questions just ask.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:33 PM

[quote=Gunluvver2;20592558]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Yeah but Antelope Creek doesn't flow from the Colorado Mtns, Platte or Missouri River does it? Lincoln is higher up than Omaha from the Missouri a few hundred feet and comfortably away from the Platte. Why did Lincoln have the flood - was it a lot of rain or what?

********************************************Look at a topographical map of Lincoln SCentralNEGuy. Lincolnn has three or four watersheds inside the city limits. When Lincoln was founded it was one huge Salt Marsh with several creeks dumping in to the marshy area. Indians came from all over to scrape up Salt from the surface deposits. Salt was a big factor in the settling of Lincoln. During the 1950's several of the small creeks were dredged and widened and levees built to handle floods. The Antelope Creek project was just the most recent of many projects. Some of the Hydrological engineers at UNL think that without the recent Antelope Creek work downtown Lincoln might have had three or four feet of water standing on "O" Street from West to East.

GL2
Then it sounds like it is prone to flooding with particularly heavy rains. I was just reading that Lincoln (originally the Village of Lancaster) was chosen to be located where it was because of the salt flats and marshes - not sure why other than having flat/level ground and profit from selling salt? Doesn't make sense otherwise but with a population of 250,000 thats now water over the dam.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:05 PM

378 posts, read 601,854 times
If you're a runner, here's what you'll need to know:

http://lincoln.ne.gov/city/parks/par...Trails_Map.pdf
The Great Plains Trails Network, Lincoln, Nebraska
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska