Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2007, 07:03 PM

417 posts, read 1,128,098 times

Advertisements

None of the name-calling that seems so prevalent on this forum. I just need to know how deep is the snow in January in the snowiest part of Nebraska? First of all, where are the snowiest and least snowiest parts of the state? None of the pictures I've found so far of "blizzards" in Nebraska look all that terrible to me.
Also, why is it so hard to find rural real estate under $100,000? We're not looking for South Fork here, just a modest little modular on a couple of acres. And believe me, I know where & how to look, I'm just not finding much.
Whats all this talk about meth? Meth is everywhere, heaven knows it is around here and it doesn't bother me. Let them blow their own homes up, good for them!

Lastly, Which areas near larger towns (Lincoln, Hastings, Grand Island, etc>) have the lowest rent yet aren't crime-ridden slums?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 06:50 PM

548 posts, read 1,037,747 times
Default RE: Need honest answers

While I can't answer the snow question because it has been along time since we have had any major snow storms.

The rent question would definately be in the Grand Island, Hastings area. St. Paul is about 20 miles north of GI and is a nice clean little town. Aurora is another nice town about 20 miles to the east of GI. All the rent in the Lincoln area is high IMO. I grew up in GI and live in Lincoln now. Good luck with your search.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:04 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,009,154 times
You're right the blizzards aren't that bad. For some reason people always have this conception that Nebraska is some sort of siberian type place...its not. We have about 3 good storms per winter. And, although the last few years have been pretty mild, a few feet on the ground isn't out of the question. However, that's a BIG storm and that rarely happens. Also, the one characterization that is true is that the weather is ALWAYS changing, so any big snow that accumulates will be melted off pretty soon. You can have 8 inches of snow on one day and it could be nearly gone 2 days later. As far as the worst blizzards...I don't think there is much of difference. In nebraska, it seems pretty evenly handed out.

Yeah, the cheapest rent is Hastings and/or Grand Island. However, keep in mind they are not near the size of Lincoln and especially not Omaha. GI has roughly 45,000 and Hastings probably about 25,000. In comparison the Lincoln and Omaha metros are, respectively, about 800,000 and 250,000. And Lincoln is about 90 miles straight east of GI. Just the facts...not sure if population was an issue or not.

You're also right on the meth. Its no worse here than anywhere else. I think the things you hear on here are just personal experiences from people who kind of want to vent (which is understandable), but its not as though nebraska is being ran over by meth users or anything. Its no different than anywhere else. In fact, I can't ever say i've even known anyone on meth or been in a situation where I saw a person that was on it (that I knew of). Anyway, just my take.

Realstate, well, it might be just because the population is relatively low in the GI and Hastings area, thus making the # of available properties pretty low. Have you consider buying your own land and moving a modular on to it?

Old 08-18-2007, 05:26 AM

482 posts, read 2,225,299 times
Okay here you go have fun surfing this web link and you will see about the snow and other weather issues for you.

Nebraska Weather and Climate

As for a modest rural area you will just have to decide where you want to live. The Hastings, Kearney and Grand Island (Tri-City area) has several rural area where you might find what you are looking for. You will just have to find a realtor in these area and tell them what you are looking for so that they can help you.

Good luck in your search.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:27 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,064,523 times
It's not the amount of snow that's so bad in Nebraska, it's the freezing rain that comes right before the snow. I remember leaving work in Hastings one night, us girls had to hold onto each other because the wind was blowing so hard and the snow on top of the ice was making us slip around, same effect as it has on cars on the road. When I finally made it to my car I couldn't unlock my door(had to use a key back then) and had to go off in search of some de-icer. Not to mention the fact that the wind chill was below zero, it isn't one of my fondest memories. For the most part though Nebraska doesn't get that much snow, the black ice is more of a concern. It also feels colder than it actually is because of the humidity levels.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:49 PM

3 posts, read 16,194 times
Lincoln Rocks! We are a blue city in a red state. Snow?...yeah it snows and we all seem to get through it. Makes the spring bitter sweet. And I am a transplant from CA...far from CA. I love it here. We have culture. Arts, Music and many other reasons just to get together. The people are wonderful and friendly. When I sit on my porch on a nice evening, I want to pinch myself. It is all so surreal. I have waited all my life for a feeling of good life. They weren't kidding when the motto came about..."The Good Life"!

Old 08-28-2007, 03:53 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,247 times
Western Nebraska doesn't get as much snow as eastern. We don't get as much moisture, period.
And property values decline, mostly, the further west you get.
Scottsbluff will probably be cheaper than any of the other cities you've mentioned.

Quote:
just a modest little modular on a couple of acres
There's a house for sale about 12 miles from me on six acres. The house is a lovely Craftsman in beautiful shape. They're asking $90K for it. Everyone in town is laughing as that's about double what it's actually worth...

There's a nicel brick house in town on four "city" lots that's got an asking price of $30K. But then, we're about 150 miles from our nearest "larger town" (North Platte.)

Old 09-09-2007, 11:17 PM

11 posts, read 53,824 times
Check out Burwell & other towns in the Sandhills area. Most are within 25 mi. of each other & about an hour from Grand Isl. You could buy a VERY NICE house & lot or acreage for less than $70k in these communities.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:49 PM

3 posts, read 13,940 times
As far as snow, it depends on the year. We use to get an average of five to ten inches every year in the Omaha metro area. Lately it has gone down due to the "Global Warming". But our last really good Blizzard was in the winter of 1997. We got close to 20 inches in that one storm.
And there is Meth and problems with drugs no matter where you go. I live in Plattsmouth and thats the Meth capital of Nebraska and yet it is a very close knit community. It has a variety of people and we all blend nicely for the most part. Rent and sale prices of homes are low and there isn't any gangs or real criminal activities (with an exception of a few that keep to themselves).
I don't really see myself moving back to Omaha or even Bellevue after living here.

Last edited by HGrommet; 09-14-2007 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: hit enter at wrong time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska