U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 03:49 PM

1,181 posts, read 2,654,228 times
"inbred cliqueness" Nice classy statement. Ravenna is a small town...it doesn't mean its "full of inbreds" and rednecks. People interested in small towns don't consider the small town atmosphere to be a detriment. They view it as a positive. Just as people wanting to move to New York City don't view that life style as a detriment.

To claim Ravenna has an "inbred" character to it is just silly and its nothing more than an insult.

I'm also trying to figure out what the whole "welfare dumping ground for Buffalo County" even means. The attack on the "sports" issue just makes it clear that you're bitter about something in Ravenna. Sports are big in ALL small towns...its part of their novelty. Some people do actually like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,751 times
Dirty town with A LOT of crime and welfare cases! Clique's among certain families is definitely a turnoff there, more so than in other small towns surrounding ravenna. If you like the area move to Grand Island or Kearney. Trust me you will be happy you did

Old 10-09-2007, 08:51 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,469,256 times
Once again, mattpoulsen is jumping to conclusions. I am not saying that about all small towns, not even all small towns in NE. (Some of the towns in that area can be pretty nice, if you're into that.) I am talking about Ravenna, NE. I can think of equally sardonic things to say about cities I like. (And I wasn't even the one that came up with 'inbred cliquiness', although it's the best two-word description of Ravenna I've heard.)

Even ask people from Ravenna. Most of them, even the ones who like it (which is most of Ravenna) will tell you that the entire town is related in some way or other.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:29 PM

1,181 posts, read 2,654,228 times
Radical,

First, I'm not jumping to conclusions. One poster used the term "inbred cliquiness." That's offensive in the nearly the worst degree to anyone who is from Ravenna. I was responding to that use of the word and why the poster would make that statement. Or are you seriously suggesting Ravenna is full of "inbreds"?

Second, I wasn't responding to your post.

Third, there are people who live in Ravenna and like it. Call the town poor with a poor school system if you like.. but please I think we can do with out the "inbred" comment. For whatever reason, small towns are a topic which is completely okay for everyone to freely trash and insult and no one seems to care.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:29 PM

6 posts, read 14,933 times
Smile We made it!

I appreciate your candor about Ravenna. I do however, want to point out that I don't expect to be *in* with anyone in town anyhow as I am a homeschooler and that in itself usually alienates our family enough that we don't expect much.

I have been here 1 week and it sure is pretty. The town is clean and quiet. The grocery store is horrifically overpriced(as I would expect it to be) but they are nice enough. The librarian is a gem. Really makes the move worth it in my opinion as we haunt the library constantly.

The fishing park is clean and neat as a pin. I am amazed at how warm it is here compared to Montana. We left 5 inches of snow to meet the 60's and 70's for temps.

Whomever said it stinks is exaggerating because it smells clean and fresh like a spring day and we are out in the open air a lot. Not even enough traffic in town to smell of cars. Very nice.

We do not look for any night life so can't comment on the bars. My children do not go out looking to hang out anywhere so they arent exposed to barflies or transients.

I am overall pleased and hope that there are more homeschoolers who move here.

Amelia

Old 10-26-2007, 02:40 PM

1,823 posts, read 3,309,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameliawrites View Post
I appreciate your candor about Ravenna. I do however, want to point out that I don't expect to be *in* with anyone in town anyhow as I am a homeschooler and that in itself usually alienates our family enough that we don't expect much.

I have been here 1 week and it sure is pretty. The town is clean and quiet. The grocery store is horrifically overpriced(as I would expect it to be) but they are nice enough. The librarian is a gem. Really makes the move worth it in my opinion as we haunt the library constantly.

The fishing park is clean and neat as a pin. I am amazed at how warm it is here compared to Montana. We left 5 inches of snow to meet the 60's and 70's for temps.

Whomever said it stinks is exaggerating because it smells clean and fresh like a spring day and we are out in the open air a lot. Not even enough traffic in town to smell of cars. Very nice.

We do not look for any night life so can't comment on the bars. My children do not go out looking to hang out anywhere so they arent exposed to barflies or transients.

I am overall pleased and hope that there are more homeschoolers who move here.

Amelia
Welcome to Nebraska, glad you like it. Don't worry our cold and snow will come! We hope you are here to stay.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:03 PM

6 posts, read 14,933 times
Smile Here to stay

Thanks! Well, I hope we are. We just closed on Monday for our farm. I would hate to see our life savings going towards just a quick stay somewhere..ugh. We are redoing the home though so currently staying in a teeny house. Cute but very little, hence the LOTS of outdoor experience..LOL

Amelia

Old 11-07-2007, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,705 times
Welcome Amelia (I'm sure you can guess who I am from library, think it over) Just look at the first part of my handle.

Ravenna isn't soo bad, I come from a bigger city (60,000) and found it easy enough to adjust to. I think the people are pretty nice and I am not a native. If the bars bother you? DONT GO! Really! Do you expect a town of 1300 to have a 'swanky' martini bar or 'hopping' night club, very unlikely. Look around all the 'small' towns in this area.. the bar scenes are all the same.. So there's a few out there that like to have a drink or two.. BIG deal, you'll find that anywhere!!

Secondly.. Crime, what crime? No more here than any other town that I've heard it.. Riding your horse down mainstreet is a crime here.. really, it's all minor stuff.. I've been here 3 years now and only have heard of two incidents that even made me raise a brow.

-KJR0213

Old 11-28-2007, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,687 times
Default Homeschool support group in Ravenna

Ameliawrites, I am the group chair for Grand Island Christian Home Educators Network. I know a couple of families in Ravenna who homeschool and have started their own network. If you don't already know about them and would like information, let me know!

Becky

Old 11-28-2007, 07:26 PM

45 posts, read 135,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal View Post
Third, Bars, bars, bars! The downtown is thriving with shady bars, and I don't mean Martini bars and clubs! Trashy railroaders and the many town drunks frequent these places. Great role-model for the kids huh?
I guess I am one of those trashy railroader that stay over in Ravenna. Funny I have never been in any of the bars. Thanks for insulting myself and my co-workers.

As for Revenna I think it is a nice little town.

Adam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska