Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:55 AM

24 posts, read 47,428 times

Advertisements

Hunting is great in Nebraska. In the eastern part of the state their are BIG Whitetail deer. Much larger than the Blacktail deer in south California. Nebraska is the best for pheasant. Get yourself a good bird dog, another thing where Nebraska is the best. The fishing is probably not what your used to as far as variety. Still good. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 12:46 PM

226 posts, read 1,005,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbressman View Post

The weather is always changing. Its really nice here.
My wife and I like the weather here better than Sacramento.
sure it gets a little chilly in the winter. the 10 degress days are a little bad.
but there isnt 30 days straight of them.
I moved from Santa Rosa, CA to Omaha back in 2004 andwhile you are right about the cost of living you are off on the weather, big time.

In the 3 winters I spent in Omaha, at least 2 of them we had temps of -5 plus a wind chill so it felt like -15! the cold weather does last from Nov. to sometimes Mar. without breaking above the freezing mark!

In the Spring you will get tornadoes and flash floods (don't believe me google "Saddle Creek Flood") as well as hale, high winds, and thunder & lightening!

In the Summer it will be close to 100 degrees with 95% humidity (you will become familiar with this thing called a heat index which will be somewhere between 106 -120)... Do you know what that feels like? Basically if you are outside it will feel like you are in a sauna! Better keep that A/C running and no it doesnt cool off at night like in California, wait your from Sac so it didn't cool off much for you either!

The Fall will be like Spring except with leaves everywhere and trees looking like they are dying and then back to winter it is...

Snow can and will fall anytime from late October to late April! In fact in March of 2007 we got hit with 13 inches of snow all at once... They shut down my job (at UPS) closed all the schools, and I barely made it home (31st + Dodge) just to have my car get stuck in the snow so I couldn't leave anwhere until the streets got plowed like 3 days later!

You are right about the cost of living tho, Nebraska is one of the cheepest places I have ever seen as far as cost of living goes, I prefer Council Bluffs, Iowa, though; little cheaper than Omaha but with everything Omaha has to offer right across the river!

If you want lower cost of living but with California climate you should have checked out Nevada...

We moved from Omaha to Reno, NV and the climate is almost identical to that of the bay area in California (just a little cooler in the winter highs in the 30s and 40s vs. 50's for CA)

The cost of living is higher than in Omaha but nowhere near that of California's! Our apartment is $500 a month for a 1-bedroom about $100 more than in Omaha; our gas is about 10 cents more a gallon than in Omaha if you go to Arco; but we don't have a state income tax so it probably evens out to be about the same!

We have lake Tahoe and Pyramid Lake to go to in the summer and trust me that's way better than Lake Manawa!

They actually care about the environment out here in Nevada too so yea you will have to get a smog test but its only like $18 here! And it pays off because as you will begin to notice, the Missouri river sometimes lets off a horrible odor as do other parts of Omaha, you'll just be driving by and then its like ughhhh... what is that smell?

I can say in the 7 mos that I have lived in Reno , NV that I have never smelled anything like that. And our Truckee River flows clear... The Missouri flows greenish-brown; I even think in the spring when storm drains in Omaha over-flow, raw sewage is dumped into the Missouri, so don't go swimming in it!

So N. Nevada = More affordable, and clean fresh mountain air with no humidity/pollution, and its only 2 hours (or even less) to Sacramento where you probably still have family. Omaha to Sac = 18 - 20 hour drive not counting stops.

And while you are all inside your houses huddled in front of your A/C this summer, I will be at beautiful Lake Tahoe having a BBQ and a beer in the breezy 85 - 90 degrees temp with 5 - 10% humidity

You guys can try to have a BBQ on one of the days that it isnt so hot but unlike CA, you will have summer downpoors that seem to come from nowhere so hopefully it wont rain on your BBQ!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:02 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,185,831 times
Default ...

Lhalloes isn't off on the weather temperature range by much if at all, I will say though that while it is not uncommon to reach that high and low on a yearly basis, it is however uncommon to have a long stretch of extremes like that.

Nebraska's weather to me is fun, you do different things on different days, and the weather can affect what you do.

If you want to camp out in the winter, then you probably won't like it here, the cold isn't a horrific cold most of the time. The weather truly isn't as dramatic though as the previous poster states, you will encounter much more damage done by natural events out in that area than you will here in Nebraska.

I have lived in Nebraska most of my thirty years and never seen a tornado, a true flood or any extensive damage from any natural occurance (except maybe a tree that was toppled over by straightline winds or broken windows from hail).

Taxes, once again, are average in Nebraska and it maybe lower in CB but that is definetely in question as you will encounter schools that are not as good, a bit of higher crime etc..

Anyway, if you have any questions I'd ask a range of people, even the one that thrashed our weather to pieces, lol.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:25 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,131,299 times
Yes, he overexaggerated the weather a little bit. I also don't know why he went into an Omaha/Council Bluffs rant on a possible recolation to Lincoln thread, but don't worry about an odor when you visit Omaha, I have never really noticed anything.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:38 PM

226 posts, read 1,005,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
Yes, he overexaggerated the weather a little bit. I also don't know why he went into an Omaha/Council Bluffs rant on a possible recolation to Lincoln thread, but don't worry about an odor when you visit Omaha, I have never really noticed anything.
guess I should have quoted more of the post I was replying to...

Here is what the poster said and I quote:

"Good news, this place is great.
We moved from Sacramento in December 2006 to Omaha and I worked in Lincoln, now I work in Omaha. Both great places to live.
We cut our living expenses by around 60-70% overall"

So basically I was replying to this person's comments on Omaha's weather etc. They were comparing Sacramento to Omaha and I was comparing Omaha to Reno, an alternative city they could have chosen to relocate to.

PS: are you serious about the odor? maybe you don't leave Milliard? Even if it isn't the Missouri or the raw sewage you can still smell strong odors in South Omaha from the few remaining packing houses... Have you ever been to Metro Community College's South Omaha Campus off of 27th and Q ???

Old 04-28-2008, 04:01 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,185,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHallowes View Post
guess I should have quoted more of the post I was replying to...

Here is what the poster said and I quote:

"Good news, this place is great.
We moved from Sacramento in December 2006 to Omaha and I worked in Lincoln, now I work in Omaha. Both great places to live.
We cut our living expenses by around 60-70% overall"

So basically I was replying to this person's comments on Omaha's weather etc. They were comparing Sacramento to Omaha and I was comparing Omaha to Reno, an alternative city they could have chosen to relocate to.

PS: are you serious about the odor? maybe you don't leave Milliard? Even if it isn't the Missouri or the raw sewage you can still smell strong odors in South Omaha from the few remaining packing houses... Have you ever been to Metro Community College's South Omaha Campus off of 27th and Q ???

Wow, do we have a negative nancy here

Believe me, its no different than any other city, I have smelled it a few times though, most of Omaha is not affected by this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska