U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 06:10 AM

26 posts, read 44,741 times

Advertisements

The unemployment rate is accurate. Farm jobs are not part of the labor statistics. You will see most job statistics listed as non-farm. More accurately a lot of the jobs in out-state Nebraska are ag support jobs like truck driving, but like previously stated there are a lot of other types of jobs available in places like Omaha and Lincoln.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 12:11 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,828,087 times
Nebraska has a wide array of opportunities ranging from small, rural opportunities to large city fortune 500/1000 company opportunities.

The only opportunity not present is a super-mega city like NY, LA or even Dallas or Atlanta. That is considered to be a good thing by a lot of people. That said, the Omaha/Lincoln region has 1.2 million people and is growing relatively fast.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:33 PM

98 posts, read 186,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYNO71 View Post
There is actually a lot more manufacturing around than folks on here are aware of. Our shop has hired about 10-15 machine operators and welders recently (mostly through a temp agency). We have been just stupid busy all summer and will hit record sales in our peak this fall/winter. Construction is picking up around Lincoln with the arena going in. Most of my customers say their shops are busy as well. A skilled millwright should be able to find work.
Thanks! I appreciate hearing that. Can you send me a private message with the name of the temp service so that i can send them a resume?

Old 11-02-2011, 12:21 PM

102 posts, read 123,059 times
There are jobs around, more so in the cities, in the smaller communities the wages are way below minimum wage, unless, like mentioned, you get into the large manufacturing companies. Here in North Platte, it is somewhat below minimum wage, so I would look to the east end of the state, and again, as mentioned, this is some ag and farming jobs.
Good Luck in your search.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:24 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,115,050 times
Here are the latest stats...

Omaha area -
4.4% unemployment rate
1.7% annual job growth

Lincoln area -
3.5% unemployment rate
2.6% annual job growth

Old 11-10-2011, 03:56 PM

31 posts, read 65,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denimflyz View Post
There are jobs around, more so in the cities, in the smaller communities the wages are way below minimum wage, unless, like mentioned, you get into the large manufacturing companies. Here in North Platte, it is somewhat below minimum wage, so I would look to the east end of the state, and again, as mentioned, this is some ag and farming jobs.
Good Luck in your search.
Do you mean below a liveable wage rather than below minimum wage?

Old 12-03-2011, 06:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,328 times
I agree with RYNO71. There is manufacturing and there is employment available. CNH in Grand Island is turning out over 30 huge agricultural combines per day. If I were you, I would also look in the Columbus, NE area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska