U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 05:36 PM

414 posts, read 416,665 times

Advertisements

I grew up and lived in Grand Island for most of my adult life. We currently live in SW MO>
We do have many friends and family that still live in GI. I personally would never go back to live there. But as for manufacturing look into Overhead Door and Hornady both plants pay a decent wage. However you might have to start out in the temp agencies. Finding housing can be difficult in GI especially if you have pets. Visit before you move there are some rougher areas of the city I wouldn't want to live in. Recreation..there is skate island if it is still open, the water park in the summer is AWESOME, plenty of parks. You will have to drive a bit for a lake to fish. Hunting just north of GI around Dannebrog. I belonged to the Y many years ago and it was ok.
Check Lincoln Nebraska out I liked living there alot better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 11:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,337 times
You might want to check out Kearney, NE. It's a little farther west than Grand Island. I think it has more of what you are looking for. I have a friend that loves the Y in Kearney. She takes her kids there to go swimming a lot in the winter. They have a Starbucks and another nice coffee shop. The library is awesome. It's also a university town. They have some nice museums and parks there also.
Tell your husband to check out Baldwin filters and Eatons for manufacturing jobs. My daughter has worked at both and prefers Baldwins.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:45 PM

10 posts, read 12,782 times
Thanks for all the info. guys. I will check out Kearney too.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:20 AM

28 posts, read 24,338 times
Howdy! All my life (I'm 63) I lived in or close to a big city (Jacksonville, FL), until I married a Filipina and relocated to the Philippines to be with my new wife just a few short years ago. So now I live in "the third world"! I'm sick of the pollution and noise of the big city and want to find a peaceful place where folks are friendly but sort of keep to themselves, if you know what I mean. We're the quiet, conservative, home-body type. Sitting on the front porch in a rocking chair is my idea of a good time; lol! Don't get me wrong; I'm not anti-social. I just don't like busy bodies and loud mouthed, obnoxious people. Since my step-daughter is about to graduate from a university here, we feel she and my wife would be happier in America. Plus, I want them to have a shot at earning a decent living and getting a retirement income. My wife, Gina, has a PhD and works as a Regional Supervisor at the Dept. of Education here. Yet she earns the equivalent of about $900 a month. That just isn't right.

I ran across this site, and I gotta say it's a real life saver! I've been researching, trying to figure out the best spot for us. I'll come first and will be looking for part-time work to supplement my Social Security Income. It seems Nebraska is one of the less expensive places to live, and the unemployment rate there is low. I've also read that Nebraskans are for the most part a good, salt-of-the-earth type of people. That's what I'm looking for. Earlier today I booked my flight from Manila to Grand Island! Then it hit me. Where will I go when I get there at 9:30 at night? I have no clue! Yet I'm coming the first part of April.

Does the YMCA offer short term housing (a room) or is there a decent hotel/motel with weekly rates? Are there any really inexpensive rentals to be had? I'd be looking for a studio or 1 bedroom for the first year or so, until my wife and daughter (OK; step-daughter) tie up some loose ends here in the Philippines and join me there.

If any of you know of a place not too awfully far from Kearney, Hastings, Grand Island, etc. where I might find an apartment or house to rent for around $250 to $400, I'd appreciate the info. It would have to be in an area not too far from where I might have a chance to find some low wage part time work. Obviously, I'm not expecting luxury. It's just for one man, and all I need is a place to hang my hat and get a good night's sleep.

Thanks in advance for any info you can throw my way. Hopefully I'll soon be able to meet some new Nebraska-style neighbors!

Old 03-21-2013, 11:00 AM

9 posts, read 23,135 times
If your husband is a welder, he can almost write his own ticket. A lot of manufacturing plants in GI are always on the lookout for welders. He should have no trouble finding work.
The YMCA is a growing facility in GI and has a nice physical layout, including an indoor pool.
Skate Island is still open and doing nicely. Saturday open skating is often packed.
Yes, the crime in GI is consistent with other cities that have meat packing plants and you'll find that for the most part the violent crime is internal within the bad characters and the local citizens don't have much to worry about. Burglary rates tend to be higher than the norm, but there have recently been some high profile arrests and that may change things a lot.
the library is recently expanded and I know that there are a lot of individual book clubs around town, the library might host some, I don't know, but I'd bet they could turn you on to how to find the ones that are out there.
Coffee shops are a little underwhelming. I can say that Barista's would be the most unique and comfy, while Starbucks, Caribou and Hard Cover Cafe inside Hastings Books are acceptable, but not what I'd call cozy.
Live theater is alive and well in GI and Hastings.
Tons of art and crafts festivals throughout the region all year long. I'm not an expert on how good they are.
Movie theatres are a bit under represented here. The Conestoga Mall has a seven screen complex. The 1930's era art deco downtown theater "The Grand" has been recently remodeled inside and out to more accurately reflect the historical decor, combined with digital projection and dolby surround. They lean toward second run films, pick up the films that the mall missed as well as the occasional artsy film. Ticket and concession prices are dirt cheap.
Finally, the shopping... GI is a regional shopping destination. You'll find license plates from Kansas and South Dakota in the lots. Most of the national biggies are here, like Kohls, Best Buy, Sams Club, Younkers, Dillards, Home Depot, a pair of Walmarts, etc. Opening soon is a Bed Bath and Beyond, Dress Barn, Gap and others.
Hope this helps!

Old 03-21-2013, 11:20 AM

9 posts, read 23,135 times
Oops, just remembered a neat new coffee joint downtown, "The Chocolate Bar". It's a combination coffee house, dessert bakery and bistro. Comfy and casual, not a terribly lot of seats, but they're already planning an expansion.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,516 times
Randy Surles,
St. Paul is 20 miles to the north of Grand Island and they have some decent apartments that are income based. You could call the St. Paul Housing Authority, 308-754-5251. Central City is 20 miles to the east of Grand Island, and would also be worth looking into, as would Aurora, 20 miles to the east. As far as Grand Island, apartments seem to be in short supply this time of year and many people are looking.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:58 PM

20 posts, read 66,524 times
Hello! Have you looked at Kearney, NE, which is just 45 minutes west of Grand Island? There are some nice industry jobs. I hear Baldwin Filter and Eaton are both hiring. Kearney has a lower crime rate and low unemployment, a thriving medical/professional scene, outstanding park and rec department, and a university and community college. We have lived here for about 9 years and have been happy with the small town feel with some of the larger town shopping such as Gap, Target, and Old Navy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska