U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 05:26 PM

10 posts, read 20,807 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I are strongly considering moving in June. We currently live in Missouri and there is nothing here. No jobs, no variety in recreation, just nothing. Quality of life stinks here.

I work as a copywriter online, freelance, so I always have work no matter where we live, however my husband has been out of work for over a year now, since the company he worked for downsized. He has been steady pounding for the pavement trying to find another job since he was let go, but with no luck.

Anyway, we have been researching the economy in different areas of the nation and attempting to gather information on areas with low UE rates. We know that there can be several reasons for a low UE rate and that it doesn't always necessarily mean that jobs are abundant. We also want to know about recreation and other things necessary for a decent life within certain areas.

Lately we have been researching Grand Island, NE. We see that it has a low UE rate. We have also read about the city on its official website and from other sources. We have learned that supposedly, jobs have increased 2% already and that there is an expected job growth of around 41% in the future. I want to know from locals to the area, how accurate is this information?

My husband would be looking for any sort of blue collar- factory, manufacturing and/or welding sort of job. How many of those types of jobs are there usually available in that area?

As for recreation, my husband is into hunting and fishing, I'm pretty sure he can find at least a few good areas around there for that, but please correct me if I'm wrong. We are both into camping, are there at least a few nice campgrounds near there?

As for my personal interests concerning recreation or leisure, I would like to know, are there any nice coffee houses there, the kind where you can sit on a comfy chair or sofa and read, socialize or surf the net while sipping your coffee, for example? Does the library have a book or reading club where everyone reads the same book and then gets together to discuss it? Is there a roller skating rink? How many movie theaters does this city have and what is the costs? Are there any live theaters? Are there any arts and crafts festivals at any time? Finally, how is the shopping?

For my kids, I understand that there is a YMCA there, how many sports programs does the Y there have for kids? Are there any other sports programs in the city, not associated with the Y, that kids can join that doesn't charge an arm and a leg? My youngest kid loves to paint and draw, does your local Y, or any other community place, have any art programs or classes for kids?

Sorry this post is so long but if anyone can answer any of these questions for me I would much appreciate it thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 07:53 PM

Can't anyone offer any information on any of my questions? I did see that there was another thread about Grand Island here, however the date of the original post on that thread is from 2006 and most of the responses at least a couple years or old or more. I am looking for current information that applies to now please. Thanks.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:08 PM

370 posts, read 1,159,142 times
It looks like there was only 2.5 hours between your posts. You might need to be a little more patient, this isn't a super busy board.

I lived Hastings, 20 miles south, for 13 years, but I don't know much about the employment situation there now. GI is a nice city for its size.

It has quite a few shopping opportunities--it is kind of a regional shopping destination. There used to be a roller rink, but I don't know if it is still open. The mall has a nice movie theatre. There is a theatre downtown too.

There are several nice state parks within an hour, and a few more a little more away.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:33 PM

696 posts, read 1,495,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomas43 View Post
Can't anyone offer any information on any of my questions? I did see that there was another thread about Grand Island here, however the date of the original post on that thread is from 2006 and most of the responses at least a couple years or old or more. I am looking for current information that applies to now please. Thanks.

I agree 2.5 hours is not enough time.

Nebraska can be very laid back.

You can get the YMCA answers by calling them.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:19 PM

I made the original post, however, it was my husband who made the 2nd post, under my account, a couple hours later, just so you know.

I could call the Y, that is true but of course, if I call the Y, they are likely to just tell me about how wonderful their organization is and how wonderful all their programs are, and of course their opinion is bias. I would like to know if anyone living there is a member of the local Y there and if they or any of their friends/family have participated in any of that Y's programs, and if so, what is their honest opinions about them, good or bad.

I ask that because I have lived in several different cities, been a member of several different Y's, and I can say from experience, a Y is not a Y. They are not all the same. Some of the Y's I have been a member of are fantastic, others suck! However, every one them told me how "wonderful" they were when I called.

Anyway, as I said, any info anyone can give me about anything I asked is appreciated. Thanks

Old 12-08-2011, 07:27 AM

370 posts, read 1,159,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomas43 View Post
I made the original post, however, it was my husband who made the 2nd post, under my account, a couple hours later, just so you know.

I could call the Y, that is true but of course, if I call the Y, they are likely to just tell me about how wonderful their organization is and how wonderful all their programs are, and of course their opinion is bias. I would like to know if anyone living there is a member of the local Y there and if they or any of their friends/family have participated in any of that Y's programs, and if so, what is their honest opinions about them, good or bad.

I ask that because I have lived in several different cities, been a member of several different Y's, and I can say from experience, a Y is not a Y. They are not all the same. Some of the Y's I have been a member of are fantastic, others suck! However, every one them told me how "wonderful" they were when I called.

Anyway, as I said, any info anyone can give me about anything I asked is appreciated. Thanks
The Y in Hastings is amazing. They have two facilities--one used to be a private rec center. Their programs are well-run, lots of things for kids.

But again, I'm talking 20 miles south of Grand Island. Maybe you should just move to Hastings?

Old 12-08-2011, 08:28 AM

102 posts, read 123,095 times
Just a tid bit of info, Grand Island is a ok place, but has a large population of gangs from Omaha and Denver and a large drug problem.
Where I live in North Platte, it is the same. I do not know of any safe place anymore.
There is shopping in GI, but again has issues that any large urbar city has. There are smaller community surrounding GI, but you have commuting issues and fuel considerations. Rents are probably as high as they are here in North Platte.
As in the earlier responses, please be patient, as this is a slower state than some others. And it takes a while for responses to come in. You could possibly contact the Grand Island Chamber of Commerce, do a web search for chamber of commerce + Nebraska + Grand Island and see what you come up with.
Good luck in your search.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:05 AM

109 posts, read 235,170 times
I grew up in Grand Island, lived there for years...so I feel qualified to respond

Grand Island isn't really the kind of place you visit and fall in love with. It's not touristy at all, and this is how it gets its reputation around the "east coast" (Omaha, Lincoln) of being small and boring. it's a very comfortable size of 50k, and everyday living in Grand Island is quite nice. No traffic, plenty of great groceries and moderately good shopping, and if you're into the big city thing, Omaha is around 2 hours away.

There are gangs in the Island but if you're not a gangster yourself, you will hardly even know it...really not even enough to be worth mentioning. However, if at all possible, try to stay away from the area immediately surrounding Lions Park at 5th and Kimball. If you find yourself in that little pocket, dont worry too much though.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:16 PM

724 posts, read 901,714 times
I know a few things about Grand Island that have for the most part already been said. Because of the local packing companies there are gangs and a large population of immagrants (you will run into famlies at the stores who only speak spanish) in the Grand Island area. That beign said if you are an average person besides a random gang shooting/theft/vandolism you won't have any problem. I was born in a town in Kansas that is similar to Grand Island in many ways and people give both way more of a bad rep then they should.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:08 AM

109 posts, read 235,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
a town in Kansas that is similar to Grand Island in many ways and people give both way more of a bad rep then they should.
Total stab in the dark - are you talking about Garden City? They are shockingly similar in many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska