U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-15-2012, 07:16 PM

27 posts, read 41,332 times
Default Omaha? Blair??

My son (age 12) and I are looking to relocate. What are the different neighborhoods within Omaha? Which ones do folks who are local (or have been local in the past) prefer and why?

We'd like to return to the midwest. Recently, we moved to Port Orchard, Washington from Missouri. It was a huge mistake. My son's allergies are acting up nonstop and there's a much different feel (which is probably great for folks looking for this type of area, just not our cup of tea) here.

I'm not concerned with the singles scene or nightlife.

Any information about the feel, safety, and friendliness of the different neighborhoods within Omaha or of Blair would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a million in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 10:44 PM

109 posts, read 130,814 times
Prepare for a grossly overgeneralized summary of our city.

The people are friendly in all parts of town if you respect them and act as yourself.
North Omaha (north of hamilton, east of 72nd) has a bad reputation but is a fine place to call home. Very diverse and unique.
South Omaha (south of leavenworth, east of 72nd) is also quite diverse. A fine place to call home (as I do).
West Omaha is the butt of many jokes. West of about 72nd street is what you would pretty much call 'suburban', i.e. primarily caucasian, larger homes, more retail.
Everything east of 72nd could be called 'the city', and is, well, where you probably want to be if you're like most of us on city-data forums.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:55 PM

That's a quality I LOVED about Missouri, but wasn't sure how far it carried over; glad it does! Makes me thankful for forums like this because I'm so green behind the ears when it comes to Nebraska. I've got a job offer out that way and was a little nervous about accepting without hearing from folks who are there about how they feel about it.

Thanks again

Old 01-16-2012, 07:37 AM

829 posts, read 744,932 times
I think it really depends on what your preferences are and whether you plan to rent or buy and how much you're willing to spend. You can find some fantastic homes and neighborhoods like Dundee and Aksarben which have much older homes that have a lot of character. These aren't cheap neighborhoods though. If you want to live in the suburbs, you can get one of the many Celebrity or Hearthstone homes starting at around 100k. Most of these homes are in Northwest or Southwest Omaha. You can also find a number of small towns that are very close to Omaha. I personally live in Bennington which is about 15 minutes north of Omaha.

You'll get better answers if you have specific questions.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:34 AM

Looking to rent, but not to pay more than $800 per month (which is what I pay now). Prefer to live in the suburbs, but will adjust if necessary.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:29 PM

1,048 posts, read 1,326,579 times
You will have a hard time finding a house to rent for that much per month. We have no less than 5 production home builders in this area that enable pretty much anyone to get a brand new home for that price range. It's really crazy.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:09 PM

114 posts, read 108,091 times
Personally I like Missouri Valley Iowa. It's far enough from Omaha, but Blair is just 5 minutes away if need anything. (groceries)

Old 01-17-2012, 10:14 PM

I'm going to look further into Fremont and Missouri Valley and come back with any questions which may come up thanks so much again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska