U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-19-2012, 09:53 PM

350 posts, read 320,869 times
I don't live in Lincoln but the weather 150 miles west is not much different. Nebraska is not THAT cold. It can get really cold as in far below zero for a few days a year but that is not the norm. And then it can get really warm like it has this winter. Snow is not excessive like in Maine or Upstate New York. Cold is not bitter like Eastern North Dakota, Northern Minnesota, Northern Wisconsin, Canada, or interior Alaska. I would be more worried about the heat which can rival that of southeastern states despite Nebraska being as far north as it is. Nebraska is a fairly average state for cold and I would say probably a little above average for summer heat.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 01:12 AM

885 posts, read 656,740 times
Check this site out for average winter temps in the 50 states. Nebraska rates 36th. www.currentresults.com/Weather/US/average-state-temperatures-in-winter.php

Old 02-20-2012, 10:42 AM

10,115 posts, read 3,095,398 times
The thing that kills you in Nebraska is the wind--when it's windy AND really cold it's brutal. It's not as big of an issue in the city, but out in the country where there's nothing to stop the wind it can be pretty uncomfortable. Like a poster said above--it's not all the time. We usually have super cold temps for a day or two and then it goes back up. This winter has been freakishly warm.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:18 PM

3,608 posts, read 1,447,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
The thing that kills you in Nebraska is the wind--when it's windy AND really cold it's brutal. It's not as big of an issue in the city, but out in the country where there's nothing to stop the wind it can be pretty uncomfortable. Like a poster said above--it's not all the time. We usually have super cold temps for a day or two and then it goes back up. This winter has been freakishly warm.
You bring up a good point; the thing a lot of people from the two coasts don't first understand when they move to the plains is that there is not only a greater variability in tempertaures day-to-day; there is a lot of fluctuation in the severity of winter year-to-year.

I have passed through Nebraska during bitter cold weather on a number of occasions, but the one winter I lived there (in Omaha 1999-2000) the weather was exceprtionally mild, with only one snowstorm and a bubble of milder air drifting up from Mexico at least once a week.

The old-timers, on the other hand, can come up with plenty of stories of severe wnters, 1949 was the one always cited during my days among the Huskers.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:01 PM

2,657 posts, read 3,648,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
You bring up a good point; the thing a lot of people from the two coasts don't first understand when they move to the plains is that there is not only a greater variability in tempertaures day-to-day; there is a lot of fluctuation in the severity of winter year-to-year.

I have passed through Nebraska during bitter cold weather on a number of occasions, but the one winter I lived there (in Omaha 1999-2000) the weather was exceprtionally mild, with only one snowstorm and a bubble of milder air drifting up from Mexico at least once a week.

The old-timers, on the other hand, can come up with plenty of stories of severe wnters, 1949 was the one always cited during my days among the Huskers.
I was only three during the Winter of 1949 so I don't remember that one. The one i remember as being really bad was 1959 & 1960. The first blizzard of the winter was Dec.7 IIRC and they came in one after another until late May of 1960. I was actually on the farm in Eastern Colorado but my Dad and I were watching cattle for a rancher friend just over the state lines in Nebraska. It was tough making the trek over there to feed cattle so I would stay at the Ranch on the weekend and Dad stayed there from Monday thru Friday while I did the chores at home and went to school. I don't remember the temperatures really being so horrible (maybe 10 to 20 below) but the constant wind and new snow was nasty. I remember when the calves started coming in mid March and we had to run the cows in under a pole shed when they started showing signs of giving birth and then kicking the newborn calves and their Mothers out into the cold after two days. Getting the cows to leave that unheated shed out in to the cold wind was tough. Can't say that I blame them. We lucked out with lots of hard work though. We didn't lose one cow or calf out of about three hundred head. The snow stayed on until late May and the fields were muddy until mid June. If I remember right we did have a good wheat harvest that year from all the moisture. Now I live in an apartment in town and the Land Lord scoops the snow. If I need groceries I either hop on my motorcycle and make the trip to the store or if too nasty I call a local store and they will deliver. Life is a lot easier in town LOL.

GL2

Old 02-20-2012, 08:45 PM

350 posts, read 320,869 times
Guess I haven't been here that long that -10 to -20 doesn't seem that horrible. I didn't mind it last winter it was very crisp and sunny that day but I would definitely say that is COLD. This winter practically feels like a joke so if you were to have me gauge based on this winter and last I really don't think Nebraska is that bad. Wind is not pleasant though as other posters have said.

One thing thats really nice in the country to have is a bunch of big tall red cedar trees. I've never seen the level of tree planting and windbreaks til I came out here. They are both pretty to look at as well as nice to keep down the snow and winter. But if you have them in your pasture from what I've heard they are pretty invasive. Its definitely nicer for wind/snow management, soil erosion, and scenic beauty to have all the red cedar trees planted that weren't there when the first settlers came. Maybe they don't have as many of them further west but they seem to be a mainstay in this part of central Nebraska.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:22 PM

2,657 posts, read 3,648,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Guess I haven't been here that long that -10 to -20 doesn't seem that horrible. I didn't mind it last winter it was very crisp and sunny that day but I would definitely say that is COLD. This winter practically feels like a joke so if you were to have me gauge based on this winter and last I really don't think Nebraska is that bad. Wind is not pleasant though as other posters have said.

One thing thats really nice in the country to have is a bunch of big tall red cedar trees. I've never seen the level of tree planting and windbreaks til I came out here. They are both pretty to look at as well as nice to keep down the snow and winter. But if you have them in your pasture from what I've heard they are pretty invasive. Its definitely nicer for wind/snow management, soil erosion, and scenic beauty to have all the red cedar trees planted that weren't there when the first settlers came. Maybe they don't have as many of them further west but they seem to be a mainstay in this part of central Nebraska.
I think one reason you don't see Red Cedar in Western Nebraska is that Western Nebraska is Wheat country and Red Cedar is a symbiotic host in the cycle of Wheat Rust. One or two other trees act as a symbiotic host to Wheat Rust also but I cannot remember what species. Red Cedar is the most well known and in Wheat country Red Cedar is treated as a noxious weed.

GL2

Old 02-21-2012, 12:36 PM

13 posts, read 17,650 times
i do not like the cold, my season is summer

Old 02-21-2012, 12:39 PM

13 posts, read 17,650 times
I very much Greek as it is there best air, winter temperatures are between 5 - 18 C

Old 02-21-2012, 01:19 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,545,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
I don't live in Lincoln but the weather 150 miles west is not much different. Nebraska is not THAT cold. It can get really cold as in far below zero for a few days a year but that is not the norm. And then it can get really warm like it has this winter. Snow is not excessive like in Maine or Upstate New York. Cold is not bitter like Eastern North Dakota, Northern Minnesota, Northern Wisconsin, Canada, or interior Alaska. I would be more worried about the heat which can rival that of southeastern states despite Nebraska being as far north as it is. Nebraska is a fairly average state for cold and I would say probably a little above average for summer heat.
This pretty much sums it up, although I really wouldn't be worried about the heat.

Summers are definitely summers, but the rest of the year it can be any season.

The "nice" part about NE is that for every 0 degree day in the winter, there's a 50 or 60 degree day. This is fairly common every year. (It's not like the northeast, where it gets cold & stays there.) 70 degree days in January are less common, but can still happen. Snow can really pile on but it usually doesn't last.

However -- while the winters aren't as bad as many other places...that doesn't mean that they can be tolerated by everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska