U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 12:12 AM

147 posts, read 69,216 times
Default How cold is cold in Lincoln?

Imagine a 40-something man raised in the California sun, in a place that almost never snows and gets only a week or two of sub-freezing temps in the winter - temps which are never lower than 20 F in the early morning hours.

Is he going to hate life in Lincoln? Is there any "getting used to it" for him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 04:10 PM

901 posts, read 689,143 times
Well I can speak on this topic. I did just the opposite. I lived in Iowa and several parts of Nebraska until I was 27. Then I moved to California.
There is no way to sugar coat the difference in weather between the 2. Don't get me wrong the only thing I like about California is the weather.
You will adjust to Lincoln's weather. I never minded the cold months, you just have to dress properly. Most importantly have a good newer, dependable car with good tires. Try to get a place with a garage. The only thing I hated when I lived there was 1 (I was pretty poor). 2 working on a old car that won't start in 0 degree weather or worse is the worst. There is nothing like having a wrench slip off a nut and racking your knuckles when it is that cold.
It gets quite hot and humid in the summer and you will need to adjust to the humidity. Once again dress properly and use that air conditioner.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:40 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,584,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles45 View Post
Imagine a 40-something man raised in the California sun, in a place that almost never snows and gets only a week or two of sub-freezing temps in the winter - temps which are never lower than 20 F in the early morning hours.

Is he going to hate life in Lincoln? Is there any "getting used to it" for him?
We can't tell you if you'll hate it, but it's not a good sign if if you fear whether or not you'll have to "get used to it."

Old 02-19-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
Well I can speak on this topic. I did just the opposite. I lived in Iowa and several parts of Nebraska until I was 27. Then I moved to California.
There is no way to sugar coat the difference in weather between the 2. Don't get me wrong the only thing I like about California is the weather.
You will adjust to Lincoln's weather. I never minded the cold months, you just have to dress properly. Most importantly have a good newer, dependable car with good tires. Try to get a place with a garage. The only thing I hated when I lived there was 1 (I was pretty poor). 2 working on a old car that won't start in 0 degree weather or worse is the worst. There is nothing like having a wrench slip off a nut and racking your knuckles when it is that cold.
It gets quite hot and humid in the summer and you will need to adjust to the humidity. Once again dress properly and use that air conditioner.
Thank you, dober1. Your honesty is appreciated. Just thinking about that wrench racking my frozen knuckles hurts like h***.

But if all the positives are there (still exploring), I'll happily tolerate the cold!

Old 02-19-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
We can't tell you if you'll hate it, but it's not a good sign if if you fear whether or not you'll have to "get used to it."
LOL, good point!

Old 02-19-2012, 06:33 PM

2,671 posts, read 3,716,759 times
I ride a motorcycle unless there is ice or snow on the road. I have a car but I am trying to save bucks to buy a dream piece of real estate. So far I have been able to ride the motorcycle often enough to make the trips to go after groceries and visit the doctor or what ever. I am 65 now and I am a bit more cautious than I was thirty years ago. I have plenty of layers on when I am riding at temperatures approaching zero but I stay warm. And actually when it is below zero it is possible to ride on ice on a motorcycle because COLD ice is not as slick as ice at 32 degrees. But as an Old Phart when it is icy I prefer staying home and reading a good book by a warm fire.

GL2

Old 02-19-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I ride a motorcycle unless there is ice or snow on the road. I have a car but I am trying to save bucks to buy a dream piece of real estate. So far I have been able to ride the motorcycle often enough to make the trips to go after groceries and visit the doctor or what ever. I am 65 now and I am a bit more cautious than I was thirty years ago. I have plenty of layers on when I am riding at temperatures approaching zero but I stay warm. And actually when it is below zero it is possible to ride on ice on a motorcycle because COLD ice is not as slick as ice at 32 degrees. But as an Old Phart when it is icy I prefer staying home and reading a good book by a warm fire.

GL2
I'm seriously impressed. Nebraskans must be a rugged breed.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:41 PM

Which leads me to another question. Is there firewood available for heating in Nebraska? We live in the country and our home is heated entirely by one woodstove. We do this as much for the ambiance as we do for the heat.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I'm seriously impressed. Nebraskans must be a rugged breed.
LOL Most of my relatives say CRAZY!
GL2

Old 02-19-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Which leads me to another question. Is there firewood available for heating in Nebraska? We live in the country and our home is heated entirely by one woodstove. We do this as much for the ambiance as we do for the heat.
I live in Lincoln in an apartment with all electric heat so I don't use firewood. Firewood is available though but what it costs I have no idea. I do woodturning on a Wood Lathe and I get all the free wood for turning I could ever use. Our Lincoln City Arborists stacks all of the wood from trees they cut on the curb and it is first come first served. It would have to dry out for one year before it would make good firewood but it is great for turning.

Craig's List probably has firewood for sale so you could get an idea of local prices.

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska