U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-13-2007, 06:24 AM
 
Location: Downtown Omaha
1,362 posts, read 4,188,492 times
Reputation: 526

Advertisements

The only place worth living in Nebraska is Omaha. You'll have a much better chance at getting a job there than any place else and it fits your other criteria as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-13-2007, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Western Nebraska
16 posts, read 94,655 times
Reputation: 14
DTOLuv, I respectfully disagree. We came to western Nebraska for EXACTLY the same reasons as stated here. Jobs were easy to find, especially since this area is actually starting to grow. I know the census numbers don't say that right now... but its true. Jobs were not exactly hard to find, but you know how to search. We were welcomed by our town with open arms and have made more friends here than when we were in eastern Nebraska. We love where we live, and my children are much better off. While you may feel this way, don't snub the rest of us. Each area has its own characteristics, and I don't think your "assumptions" help. If you've lived in the western part of the state, then you'd know what I'm talking about, but I'm guessing you haven't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2007, 09:56 PM
 
20 posts, read 86,205 times
Reputation: 13
Default I Agree with Jasper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper87 View Post
DTOLuv, I respectfully disagree. We came to western Nebraska for EXACTLY the same reasons as stated here. Jobs were easy to find, especially since this area is actually starting to grow. I know the census numbers don't say that right now... but its true. Jobs were not exactly hard to find, but you know how to search. We were welcomed by our town with open arms and have made more friends here than when we were in eastern Nebraska. We love where we live, and my children are much better off. While you may feel this way, don't snub the rest of us. Each area has its own characteristics, and I don't think your "assumptions" help. If you've lived in the western part of the state, then you'd know what I'm talking about, but I'm guessing you haven't.
I've lived in Omaha for most of my life, but am anxiously planning a move to get the heck out of this city within the next year. While Omaha certainly has some positive aspects and is rejuvenating some older parts of the city, the urban sprawl out west is ridiculous IMO. Additionally, I'm sick and tired of the crime, the "ghetto birds" (police helicopters) flying overhead at all hours of the night, the incredibly poor schools (we now homeschool our kids), a racially and socioeconomically divided city, the inability to let our children play in the front yard without fear, etc., etc., etc.

I'm sure others will disagree with me, but we can't wait to get out of the city and find a calmer, slower, more peaceful existence in which to raise our kids and spend the rest of our lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2007, 10:12 AM
 
Location: NY
2,007 posts, read 3,435,686 times
Reputation: 905
Hello all. I'm retiring in about 3 years and am intersted in moving to Kansas from NY. I'm primarily looking for a place near hunting areas. I love the outdoors and hunting. I'd like 20 or so acres not further than an hour or so from good shopping,etc. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2007, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Western Nebraskansas
2,707 posts, read 5,330,328 times
Reputation: 2405
jeep, you're not in Kansas, anymore...
(you're in Nebraska)

So far as jobs:
I have to agree with Jasper (btw, my 7 year old's name is Jasper). I grew up in eastern Nebraska, but have lived in western NE since I headed off to college 15 years ago. I won't go back.
Jobs are plentiful so long as you're in an area where people are plentiful(ish). It doesn't matter whether you're in eastern NE or western, if you're near a larger town you'll have no trouble finding a job.
However, if you're near a tiny town in BFE (as I am) you'd better do something like nurse or teach.
Or ranch.

My part of the state (SW corner) isn't growing. We're stagnant, though. That's better than dying... :P
But most of the panhandle is on the grow! Chadron, the Bluffs, Alliance, Kimball, Sydney, etc. And a lot of the little towns around them are along for the ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2007, 06:54 PM
 
Location: IN
20,765 posts, read 35,742,329 times
Reputation: 13172
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
jeep, you're not in Kansas, anymore...
(you're in Nebraska)

So far as jobs:
I have to agree with Jasper (btw, my 7 year old's name is Jasper). I grew up in eastern Nebraska, but have lived in western NE since I headed off to college 15 years ago. I won't go back.
Jobs are plentiful so long as you're in an area where people are plentiful(ish). It doesn't matter whether you're in eastern NE or western, if you're near a larger town you'll have no trouble finding a job.
However, if you're near a tiny town in BFE (as I am) you'd better do something like nurse or teach.
Or ranch.

My part of the state (SW corner) isn't growing. We're stagnant, though. That's better than dying... :P
But most of the panhandle is on the grow! Chadron, the Bluffs, Alliance, Kimball, Sydney, etc. And a lot of the little towns around them are along for the ride.
Dawes County, Box Butte County, Kimball County, and Scottsbluff County all lost population in the last 6 years according to the census bureau. Most of the rural counties in the Great Plains will continue to lose a lot of its younger residents to larger urban areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2007, 08:07 PM
 
Location: NY
2,007 posts, read 3,435,686 times
Reputation: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
jeep, you're not in Kansas, anymore...
(you're in Nebraska)
Duuuhhhhh LOL! Thank you for the gentle correction and info! Can anyone tell me the best place to move where I have room to roam and hunt? What would be ideal would be 30 or so acres away from the crowds but no further than 1/2 hr or so from a good size town. Close to hunting land too. I might be in looking for fantasy land but I'm hoping to get close. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2007, 10:08 PM
 
Location: Western Nebraska
16 posts, read 94,655 times
Reputation: 14
Default Life isn't all about census

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Dawes County, Box Butte County, Kimball County, and Scottsbluff County all lost population in the last 6 years according to the census bureau. Most of the rural counties in the Great Plains will continue to lose a lot of its younger residents to larger urban areas.
That's just a small part of the picture... its not about the quantity of growth, its about the quality. When just completed some very serious research about our communities in the panhandle, and we found that our area is showing a decrease in population due to the death rates vs. the outmigration. Cheyenne County and Scotts Bluff County are both showing real growth (not census growth) due to the growth in job opportunities. Box Butte County is just now responding to the changes as well (thanks to BNSF). And, guess who's coming back -- our young people. Several of our neighbors are between 35 and 45, and they all talk about how they couldn't wait to leave for bigger places only to return to smaller places to raise kids.

Our "big three" counties are showing an influx of neighbors from CO, and the workforce is responding. We have had some serious investment from Fortune ranked companies (Cabela's, Lehman Brothers, Caterpillar, BNSF, UP, etc.) in the panhandle. Property tax rates continue to be an issue, and it can appear to outsiders that wages are low, but its all relative. When we moved here, my wife and I took a 50% pay cut but we reduced our expenses more than 70% -- mainly in our housing. We have sacrificed some of the "urban" niceties, but we can still get them within a couple hours drive. Its all about my kids and their quality of life. And, Plains10, my kids are worth 100x what your census numbers show. Those are just numbers for outsiders -- life in western Nebraska is MUCH more than that. It's not for everyone, and that suits us just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2007, 10:32 PM
 
Location: IN
20,765 posts, read 35,742,329 times
Reputation: 13172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper87 View Post
That's just a small part of the picture... its not about the quantity of growth, its about the quality. When just completed some very serious research about our communities in the panhandle, and we found that our area is showing a decrease in population due to the death rates vs. the outmigration. Cheyenne County and Scotts Bluff County are both showing real growth (not census growth) due to the growth in job opportunities. Box Butte County is just now responding to the changes as well (thanks to BNSF). And, guess who's coming back -- our young people. Several of our neighbors are between 35 and 45, and they all talk about how they couldn't wait to leave for bigger places only to return to smaller places to raise kids.

Our "big three" counties are showing an influx of neighbors from CO, and the workforce is responding. We have had some serious investment from Fortune ranked companies (Cabela's, Lehman Brothers, Caterpillar, BNSF, UP, etc.) in the panhandle. Property tax rates continue to be an issue, and it can appear to outsiders that wages are low, but its all relative. When we moved here, my wife and I took a 50% pay cut but we reduced our expenses more than 70% -- mainly in our housing. We have sacrificed some of the "urban" niceties, but we can still get them within a couple hours drive. Its all about my kids and their quality of life. And, Plains10, my kids are worth 100x what your census numbers show. Those are just numbers for outsiders -- life in western Nebraska is MUCH more than that. It's not for everyone, and that suits us just fine.
Wow, I did not expect such a strong response. I did not list the non-farm employment growth for those counties, but I assumed they were doing fairly good. I am glad that you enjoy rural Nebraska and assume that more businesses will open since Nebraska is much more pro-business compared with many other states. I agree that some younger people may come back to the regional center cities, but most of the growth in Nebraska will always be in the Omaha and Lincoln areas. Omaha and Lincoln still have the majority of the non-farm jobs in Nebraska and the housing costs in these two cities are MUCH LOWER than the US average. I have lived in the High Plains region before (In Kansas) and really did not like it very much. The people were friendly, but job growth and wage growth were rather stagnant. Also, the weather was just a little bit brutal for me because of the winds and extreme temperatures.
I do not put too much weight on the census numbers, but it DOES give a fairly good picture of an area. For example, I look at the census figures and then actually DRIVE to the individual counties to see how they are actually doing. Their are many ghost towns in the rural counties, and many of them have a majority of elderly that live there. This is mainly due to economics and the fact that the farm and ranch sizes keep getting larger and limiting the amount of employment in these "farm dependent" counties. In all fairness, I think that many of the rural counties in Nebraska are doing better than the rural counties in Kansas. Many of the rural counties in Kansas are in very bad shape overall. I appreciate your perspective regarding western Nebraska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2007, 10:38 PM
 
Location: IN
20,765 posts, read 35,742,329 times
Reputation: 13172
Here is the private non-farm employment change in western Nebraska counties between 2000-2005:

Scotts Bluff: +2.4%
Dawes County +11.6%
Box Butte County -8.3%
Kimball County +1.1%
Lincoln County +13.1%
Cheyenne County +5.1%

Overall, many counties in central and western Nebraska have gained non-farm employment between 2000-2005. This is in contrast to the non-farm job losses in Douglas County. (Omaha) Nebraska has done a fairly good job at generating jobs in the regional centers and rural areas compared with neighboring states in the Great Plains over the past few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top