U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-21-2012, 10:16 PM

928 posts, read 834,469 times
Default Average Highs in Omaha, Nebraska

I have seen way too many references of Nebraska to Siberia.. Seriously people stop that, lol. There is absolutely no comparison. On a scale of 1 (siberia) to 100 (dallas) we are literally a 94. Yes the ocean doesn't moderate our temperatures as much as the coasts, but it still does and we are way to far down in latitude to make such an exaggerated comparison.

Omaha's average highs are anywhere between 35-85 degrees warmer than the average city in sibera. We are only 8-21 degrees cooler per month, or 14 degrees cooler overall, than Dallas. Trust me, I am not trying to make us look like a southern US city because we can and do get cold at times, during the winter. Heck, I'd say we get anywhere between 2-5 weeks of must-be-inside cold per winter on average. This 2-5 weeks is about 4-7 months in siberia and I am not kidding, lol.. The only reason it seems that we are so much colder than dallas is because we get an average of 26 inches of snow..

I apologize if it seems that I am being over the top, but it is a big pet peeve of mine about people from this area. We seem to try to twist things about our home state/cities to try to make it sound so unbearable and bad. We are giving out such a bad impression of ourselves.. I for one love our four seasons especially since our fall and spring are dominating of our year. I just now made a post on the Anchorage forum to refute the claim that Anchorage is like Omaha in climate! I've had to break the news to people in Minneapolis, Michigan, Iowa, Ohio and Wisconsin that our winters are not much more brash than theirs and in many cases is warmer (especially minnesota and wisconsin). I swear that people are beginning to believe that the north platte is actually the north pole.

Omaha average highs
jan 37
feb 41
mar 54
apr 67
may 76
jun 85
jul 88
aug 87
sep 80
oct 68
nov 51
dec 39

Last edited by Omahahonors; 03-21-2012 at 10:29 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-22-2012, 10:38 AM

350 posts, read 278,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
I have seen way too many references of Nebraska to Siberia.. Seriously people stop that, lol. There is absolutely no comparison. On a scale of 1 (siberia) to 100 (dallas) we are literally a 94. Yes the ocean doesn't moderate our temperatures as much as the coasts, but it still does and we are way to far down in latitude to make such an exaggerated comparison.

Omaha's average highs are anywhere between 35-85 degrees warmer than the average city in sibera. We are only 8-21 degrees cooler per month, or 14 degrees cooler overall, than Dallas. Trust me, I am not trying to make us look like a southern US city because we can and do get cold at times, during the winter. Heck, I'd say we get anywhere between 2-5 weeks of must-be-inside cold per winter on average. This 2-5 weeks is about 4-7 months in siberia and I am not kidding, lol.. The only reason it seems that we are so much colder than dallas is because we get an average of 26 inches of snow..

I apologize if it seems that I am being over the top, but it is a big pet peeve of mine about people from this area. We seem to try to twist things about our home state/cities to try to make it sound so unbearable and bad. We are giving out such a bad impression of ourselves.. I for one love our four seasons especially since our fall and spring are dominating of our year. I just now made a post on the Anchorage forum to refute the claim that Anchorage is like Omaha in climate! I've had to break the news to people in Minneapolis, Michigan, Iowa, Ohio and Wisconsin that our winters are not much more brash than theirs and in many cases is warmer (especially minnesota and wisconsin). I swear that people are beginning to believe that the north platte is actually the north pole.

Omaha average highs
jan 37
feb 41
mar 54
apr 67
may 76
jun 85
jul 88
aug 87
sep 80
oct 68
nov 51
dec 39
Why don't you include the average lows?

Unread 03-22-2012, 10:48 AM

28 posts, read 26,041 times
An average temp is nothing more than a measure of extremes...

Unread 03-22-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYNO71 View Post
An average temp is nothing more than a measure of extremes...
Yep. Which is true everywhere.

Unread 03-22-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Yep. Which is true everywhere.
The extremes are slightly worse in Nebraska than in Indiana, Ohio etc because of Nebraska's continentality meaning that Nebraska is about 1500 miles from each coast. Not as bad as the Central Asian steppes which are at least 2000-3000 miles from each coast.

Unread 03-22-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
The extremes are slightly worse in Nebraska than in Indiana, Ohio etc because of Nebraska's continentality meaning that Nebraska is about 1500 miles from each coast. Not as bad as the Central Asian steppes which are at least 2000-3000 miles from each coast.
You are exactly right! We get a slightly warmer and cooler swings than those states and considerably less than others..

I love the the changes. We get the mood swings you don't see closer to the coasts, but we have a good baseline temperature to which the climate is very tolerable unlike the hot or frigid zines. Yes, we get both hot and frigid. It's usually short lived here on either case. For example our three week hot, humid summer last year was worse and lasted for 5-6 months in Oklahoma and Texas. Same goes for our winters. Our frigid spells are less intense and happen for a much less duration than places north. We just happen to sit in a zone where we can experience both extremes in the same year.

Unread 03-22-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
You are exactly right! We get a slightly warmer and cooler swings than those states and considerably less than others..

I love the the changes. We get the mood swings you don't see closer to the coasts, but we have a good baseline temperature to which the climate is very tolerable unlike the hot or frigid zines. Yes, we get both hot and frigid. It's usually short lived here on either case. For example our three week hot, humid summer last year was worse and lasted for 5-6 months in Oklahoma and Texas. Same goes for our winters. Our frigid spells are less intense and happen for a much less duration than places north. We just happen to sit in a zone where we can experience both extremes in the same year.
Well I wish the temperature would stay the baseline more often! To me the hot is not very tolerable but I agree that Oklahoma and Texas were far worse for the heat and humidity. My problem is that I lived in South Carolina where it was as hot and a little hotter than where I live now but the winter was a lot warmer than it is here. Overall, a milder climate than Nebraska. I would hope to catch a little break in the summer but the climate here is still very hot in the summer even though it can get bitterly cold in the winter. I really don't think the climate is a plus factor though if you look at the weather in other parts of the country at similar latitudes.

Unread 03-23-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Well I wish the temperature would stay the baseline more often! To me the hot is not very tolerable but I agree that Oklahoma and Texas were far worse for the heat and humidity. My problem is that I lived in South Carolina where it was as hot and a little hotter than where I live now but the winter was a lot warmer than it is here. Overall, a milder climate than Nebraska. I would hope to catch a little break in the summer but the climate here is still very hot in the summer even though it can get bitterly cold in the winter. I really don't think the climate is a plus factor though if you look at the weather in other parts of the country at similar latitudes.
And that's understandable for some proper, but its not for many others. We also get a little warmer in the winter and a little cooler in the summer than these places which offset these things.

Some love the changes and some don't. Still, we are nothing like siberia. We are warm/mild for the vast majority of the year while siberia is extremely fridgid for 7+ months of the year. We are notably temperate with a little more dramatic swings due to these air mass battles I've described earlier.

Unread 03-23-2012, 12:18 PM

1,795 posts, read 537,234 times
The average high in Omaha for Jan is 32 F, not 37 F. All the months average highs that you posted look a little too high as well (with the exception of Jun-Aug).

Unread 03-23-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
And that's understandable for some proper, but its not for many others. We also get a little warmer in the winter and a little cooler in the summer than these places which offset these things.

Some love the changes and some don't. Still, we are nothing like siberia. We are warm/mild for the vast majority of the year while siberia is extremely fridgid for 7+ months of the year. We are notably temperate with a little more dramatic swings due to these air mass battles I've described earlier.
I would love Nebraska's climate with summers like the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and keeping our current winters. 85 and higher is just ugly and its soon on its way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska