Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 03:02 AM

113 posts, read 305,263 times

Advertisements

Hi

if we compare both in terms of

job market
crime
Rent Cost
Raising A Family

what are the differences
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 12:30 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,295,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egyptian2009 View Post
Hi

if we compare both in terms of

job market Maybe a little better in Lincoln then Omaha.
crime Less crime in Lincoln then Omaha
Rent Cost Both places about the same for rent
Raising A Family Better in Lincoln

what are the differences
Lincoln is a small city and Omaha is a medium size city. Believe it or not, it's easier to get around in Omaha. I live in between both cities and if I have a choice I always go to Omaha. Omaha has more to do, Zoo, Qwest center (they changed their name, can't remember it), Old market, these are just some of the places. If you move to Omaha, try to live in West or Southwest Omaha. If you decide on Lincoln, try to live in the East or Southeast side.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:09 PM

624 posts, read 1,303,722 times
Omaha has more newer suburbs and Omaha has a bigger historical area. I wouldn't say you should shoot for west or southwest Omaha unless you're into suburbs. There are many absolutely beautiful neighborhoods in the Midtown and Downtown area that are just as, if not more livable than the suburbs.

I don't know much about lincoln, but I get the idea that it's a lot like Omaha but with a DI university and basically less of what Omaha has. You'd be happy with either option I suspect.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:54 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,165,040 times
I have a family of teenaged boys, so we're very kid focused people. I think Lincoln is a much better community to raise children in--less crime, a top notch public school district, and a million things for kids to do (everything from youth sports, music and theater to a wonderful children's museum and a smaller but very nice children's zoo). There are bike paths and green spaces all across the city, and tons of city parks and pools. Right now Omaha has an advantage over Lincoln in terms of hosting major performances (Lincoln currently has a smaller but nice performing arts center--the Lied Center), but Lincoln is pumping a billion dollars into it's downtown area as we speak--they're in the process of building a huge new arena to bring in large national touring performances and concerts, plus expanding the neighboring haymarket area--an arty area of rennovated old warehouses and buildings that house galleries, restaurants, bars, boutiques, etc (comparable to the Old Market in Omaha). With the exception of the Henry Doorly zoo (number 2 in the nation) Lincoln will soon have most of what Omaha has, but in a smaller city with more of an arty, college town vibe than Omaha. Omaha has a metro area of around a million, and Lincoln is around 300,000.

In addition to a number of private universities and colleges, Lincoln is also home to the University of Nebraska at Lincoln and Husker football--game days are a whole lot of fun, and an experience that you can't find anywhere else in the state. I like Omaha--it's a really nice city--but I prefer Lincoln. Right now we head to Omaha for some performances, and sometimes for shopping, but once the new arena is in I doubt that we'll head up that way much except for an annual visit to the zoo.

The biggest con to lincoln is driving--they've outgrown their city street system, and they need to develop more expressways around and through the city with fewer delays.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:22 PM

173 posts, read 343,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Lincoln is a small city and Omaha is a medium size city. Believe it or not, it's easier to get around in Omaha. I live in between both cities and if I have a choice I always go to Omaha. Omaha has more to do, Zoo, Qwest center (they changed their name, can't remember it), Old market, these are just some of the places. If you move to Omaha, try to live in West or Southwest Omaha. If you decide on Lincoln, try to live in the East or Southeast side.
CenturyLink, CentryLink purchased Qwest, so it's now The CenturyLink Center. The company just renamed themselves CenturyLink in 2009, and they were previously named CenturyTel.

Back on topic, I have never been to Lincoln, but Omaha is a great city and would recommend it.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:11 AM

4,531 posts, read 8,815,467 times
The University of Nebraska has a lot of influence on things in Lincoln. I haven't lived in Omaha but I visit relatives there quite often. Omaha has more of the traditional "Blue Collar" jobs as a percentage than Lincoln. The influence of UNL and the presence of so many Federal and State jobs in Lincoln has skewed the work force in to "white collar" type jobs. The Freshman class at UNL is composed of a lot of kids from farm and smaller communities across the state but MOST are brainwashed by the Liberal UNL professors by the time they graduate.

GL2

Old 05-20-2012, 11:29 PM

12 posts, read 52,773 times
The area around Memorial Stadium in Lincoln is fun on game days, but the stadium and its atmosphere aren't all that great. Game days are awesome as the state comes together. It's a unique situation because Nebraska has only one D1 football team to support.

Other than football though, Omaha is better in most areas. Retail, restaurants, art, music, entertainment, jobs, flights, medical care, etc., are considerably better in quality and quantity in Omaha. I've always felt Omaha is a more vibrant city while Lincoln has a slower pace. It's typical of a larger city.

Education is comparable in both cities. The Omaha metro has several school districts choose from. Crime is really not as bad as people like to make it out to be, in either city. So I would say Omaha is the better city to raise a family, whatever that means.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:36 AM

5 posts, read 17,687 times
In the 4 specific areas you are inquiring about, not really much difference. It has been said that Omaha is multiples larger than lincoln. Omaha feels like a larger city than it is, due to the lack to major cities in a 300 mile radius. Lincoln is a nice little city, Omaha is a great huge-but-not-quite-major city. Large but not on the level of someplace like st louis. Lincoln has very little ethnic diversity, ie not many people from africa, the middle east, east asia etc. Omaha has much larger populations of immigrants but again, not on the level of a top tier city.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:50 AM

4,531 posts, read 8,815,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjchris66 View Post
In the 4 specific areas you are inquiring about, not really much difference. It has been said that Omaha is multiples larger than lincoln. Omaha feels like a larger city than it is, due to the lack to major cities in a 300 mile radius. Lincoln is a nice little city, Omaha is a great huge-but-not-quite-major city. Large but not on the level of someplace like st louis. Lincoln has very little ethnic diversity, ie not many people from africa, the middle east, east asia etc. Omaha has much larger populations of immigrants but again, not on the level of a top tier city.
A trip to the Wal Mart on N 27th Street in Lincoln might make you change your opinion on "ethnic diversity" in Lincoln.
GL2

Old 05-21-2012, 01:05 PM

109 posts, read 279,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
A trip to the Wal Mart on N 27th Street in Lincoln might make you change your opinion on "ethnic diversity" in Lincoln.
GL2

A few hundred people that frequent 1 store does not diversity make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska