Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 06:24 PM

45 posts, read 130,688 times

Advertisements

If you had a choice on where to live, would you move to Rhode Island or stay in Nebraska?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 06:29 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
Depends on what is your likes and dislikes and what is giving you the opportunity to move to Rhode Island? Anyway, could you maybe share a little more info, so we can give you a better answer?

Old 01-18-2008, 10:12 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
I like to visit that area (and a lot of others) but I like Nebraska and have actually made career choices so I can stay here and not move. Nebraska living over Rhode Island.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:16 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Having lived in both Rhode Island and Nebraska, I'd pick Nebraska. But that's just me. Some folks love RI and the seashore. I didn't care for the congestion. Nebraska's wide open spaces are more my style.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:02 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
Nope. for the same reason I don't want to live anywhere on the east coast-- Too many people, too little room.

--Erin

Old 01-19-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
Depends on what is your likes and dislikes and what is giving you the opportunity to move to Rhode Island? Anyway, could you maybe share a little more info, so we can give you a better answer?

If you met the love of your life, what would you do?

Old 01-19-2008, 10:00 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
Wow, that is hard b/c I have a family member who has an international relationship. He is currently living overseas with her, but they put off the wedding b/c they can't agree on where to live, the U.S. or overseas.

Follow your gut, I guess if it is something you have to do to be with your significant other, then give it a shot. You can always come back.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:04 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
I always worry when people say they would do anything, give up anything, for the love of their life. Probably a symptom of advancing age but I prefer to call it experience and observation.

I have loved and been loved three times in my life - totally and completely, or so I thought. Until twice I found out that some folks actually believe you should give up all of your hopes and dreams for them and their dreams. Uh-uh. Shared hopes and dreams and plans work out best in the long run. What do you love about Nebraska? What do you hate? What are your plans for your life - not for five years - where do you see yourself? What do you want to do with your life? What did you want to be when you grew up? How do your see yourself at 30? At 50? at 80? What jobs do you think you will want to pursue, how many children, how do you want them raised? What would you want to do after the children move out - be a babysitting grandparent or pursue another, richer and more fulfilling life?

And - where does your significant other see themselves in all of these categories? Are you both compromising - or is one giving up far more than the other? Are you moving temporarily or permanently? Why? Why would you want to come back? Why would they? Too much compromise on either of your parts will cause resentment down the road if you do not face it now.

The love of your life is a serious commitment, and people who change too much for others - or who are asked to give up too much for others - always end up resenting that person, realistically or not. You have tough choices, and I don't envy you.

One person and I were very much in love - I thought. That person was devoted, spoiled me rotten, petted me and made much of me and made me his queen. BUT - he was a city boy, liked excitement and bright lights and fun and being seen and going out and about and being popular. He needed constant attention and was high-maintenance. I liked quiet nights together in front of the fire, riding horses, working in the garden. It was the toughest thing I ever had to do to leave him behind - but I couldn't give up myself for him. Don't give up yourself for anyone.

However, if it truly is a compromise, or things can work out so that you can both be happy and do what you want to do, be everything together that you can be separately, only moreso, then go for it.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I always worry when people say they would do anything, give up anything, for the love of their life. Probably a symptom of advancing age but I prefer to call it experience and observation.

I have loved and been loved three times in my life - totally and completely, or so I thought. Until twice I found out that some folks actually believe you should give up all of your hopes and dreams for them and their dreams. Uh-uh. Shared hopes and dreams and plans work out best in the long run. What do you love about Nebraska? What do you hate? What are your plans for your life - not for five years - where do you see yourself? What do you want to do with your life? What did you want to be when you grew up? How do your see yourself at 30? At 50? at 80? What jobs do you think you will want to pursue, how many children, how do you want them raised? What would you want to do after the children move out - be a babysitting grandparent or pursue another, richer and more fulfilling life?

And - where does your significant other see themselves in all of these categories? Are you both compromising - or is one giving up far more than the other? Are you moving temporarily or permanently? Why? Why would you want to come back? Why would they? Too much compromise on either of your parts will cause resentment down the road if you do not face it now.

The love of your life is a serious commitment, and people who change too much for others - or who are asked to give up too much for others - always end up resenting that person, realistically or not. You have tough choices, and I don't envy you.

One person and I were very much in love - I thought. That person was devoted, spoiled me rotten, petted me and made much of me and made me his queen. BUT - he was a city boy, liked excitement and bright lights and fun and being seen and going out and about and being popular. He needed constant attention and was high-maintenance. I liked quiet nights together in front of the fire, riding horses, working in the garden. It was the toughest thing I ever had to do to leave him behind - but I couldn't give up myself for him. Don't give up yourself for anyone.

However, if it truly is a compromise, or things can work out so that you can both be happy and do what you want to do, be everything together that you can be separately, only moreso, then go for it.
Thank you much. Very well put and so true. Everything I have thought of, but just looking for other's perpectives. I do love Nebraska and the open land. I dream of growing old on the vast land under the open sky. However, the ocean could always be a part of me as well. The magic word is most truly "Compromise"

Old 01-20-2008, 09:48 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,197,899 times
Default dragon..

It really depends on your mindset, people like myself love economy, laid-backness, friendly folks, I also love to have a rather large array of things to do and love a very large amount good sit-down restaurants nearby to choose from and I do not mind not having a mountain or an ocean nearby, although I'm sure being next to one your whole life it will be missed, but believe me if you can find it in you to be okay without it, then you will do great here..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska