Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 10:16 AM

69 posts, read 162,558 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am looking at a possible move to Lincoln.

I love older houses - don't mind doing some work on one as long as it is livable. Also would want enough yard for a garden. I keep seeing on house searches that the houses look very close together. And, of course, safety.

I am over 50 and will be living with my four - legged "children" - a laid back easy going cat, Delilah, and my challenge child border collie mix dog, Clancy.

What are some areas to look at? Zip codes help as that is how listings are searchable - or street names with directions i.e. SE Main.

Price range - prefer under 100K, but flexible to 150K or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 07:56 AM

19 posts, read 60,611 times
Depends where you are looking for a house? Where at in Lincoln? If you want a yard and lots of room, don't look at houses in the city. But more towards the outskirts.

South of Pioneers street and East of 70th are great areas. Anywhere in Lincoln other then the northeast side of town and downtown around 11th and D aren't very "safe" neighborhoods by Lincolns standards but you aren't in grave danger either place. It's not like the inner city ghettos were you won't see another white person anywhere. And I mean ANYWHERE, those places aren't fun.

If you are really serious about moving to Lincoln, it might be in your best interest to contact a local realtor.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:31 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,231 times
Spend some time looking at various crime maps of any areas you are considering. FYI getting information about the Crime Stats from a Real Estate agent is the worst source possible. Agents can lose their license if they aren't very careful. A charge of racism or discrimination is a career killer.
GL2

Old 06-26-2012, 10:25 AM

31 posts, read 85,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitruvianMan View Post
Depends where you are looking for a house? Where at in Lincoln? If you want a yard and lots of room, don't look at houses in the city. But more towards the outskirts.

South of Pioneers street and East of 70th are great areas. Anywhere in Lincoln other then the northeast side of town and downtown around 11th and D aren't very "safe" neighborhoods by Lincolns standards but you aren't in grave danger either place. It's not like the inner city ghettos were you won't see another white person anywhere. And I mean ANYWHERE, those places aren't fun.

If you are really serious about moving to Lincoln, it might be in your best interest to contact a local realtor.
Northeast side of town is a pretty broad description with many quality neighborhoods within it...

I'd avoid 27th -33rd between Holdrege and Vine as well as the 13th & D area just south of downtown. There are a few other shady spots around town but not anything real scary.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:09 PM

69 posts, read 162,558 times
I have looked at some of the crime map sites. Also googled for old houses in Lincoln. Seems there are lots of options. Trying to get broad ideas for now to help learn more about the area...I am sure I will have to be flexible on my wish list.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYNO71 View Post
Northeast side of town is a pretty broad description with many quality neighborhoods within it...

I'd avoid 27th -33rd between Holdrege and Vine as well as the 13th & D area just south of downtown. There are a few other shady spots around town but not anything real scary.
Name some quality neighbor hoods located west of 70th street and are still on the northeast side of town?

I am talking specifically the 48th and Adams area. If you don't think it is, "I" lived right in that area!! Graffiti on the buildings and two Cadillacs alone in just my parking lot alone were broken into.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:12 AM

The areas around 48th-70th between Adams & Vine are fine. Uni Place specifically, Havelock, also just north of Cornhusker around 40th-44th.

Sure there are some small pockets that are worse than others but I'd still feel as safe there as anywhere. I'd avoid any place with a low rent apartment or duplex /fourplex within a block of it though.

FYI cars all over the city get broken into.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
The areas around 48th-70th between Adams & Vine are fine. Uni Place specifically, Havelock, also just north of Cornhusker around 40th-44th.

Sure there are some small pockets that are worse than others but I'd still feel as safe there as anywhere. I'd avoid any place with a low rent apartment or duplex /fourplex within a block of it though.

FYI cars all over the city get broken into.
Is the bold a trailer park?

And I lived in that neighborhood for two years (48th and Adams). It's not "fine" compared to the rest of Lincoln, again compared to other parts of Lincoln. I'd feel safe walking around any part of Lincoln.

I mean I saw quite a few homeless and drunk people walking around on trails around the area in my time there. And there is an area around 48th and Colfax where I observed some extremely unordinary events.

And yeah all cars get broken into, but it's different when thieves target brand new luxury cars. And haha I remember 18th street gang signs spray painted on the building. Is that even a real thing?

Old 06-27-2012, 03:27 PM

Just north of the trailer park are nice homes. From 40th & Colfax to 44th & Turner. Huge lots for most of the homes there. I would imagine they fall into the 100-150k range.
48th & Colfax? Do you mean in/around Colfax Circle? Colfax ends in a circle at about 47th.

I grew up in that area as well as Uni place so maybe I'm a little defensive.

Whats different about theives that target new luxury cars? I would wonder why they wouldn't target them...

18th street gangs...no clue, never heard of them.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Just north of the trailer park are nice homes. From 40th & Colfax to 44th & Turner. Huge lots for most of the homes there. I would imagine they fall into the 100-150k range.
48th & Colfax? Do you mean in/around Colfax Circle? Colfax ends in a circle at about 47th.

I grew up in that area as well as Uni place so maybe I'm a little defensive.

Whats different about theives that target new luxury cars? I would wonder why they wouldn't target them...

18th street gangs...no clue, never heard of them.
I lived by 48th and Benton and I would never recommend that area to anyone just coming to town. I lived there into the early parts of 2011. Do you still live in that area?

And no I mean 48th and Colfax, which is directly one block north of 48th and Benton. Which is just East of 48th street and just South of Highway 6.

What do you think is easier to break into or causes more attention, breaking into a 2012 Cadillac or a 2004 Ford Focus?

I use to have friends who carried inordinate amounts of cash in small cars like I mentioned above. They don't anymore because they graduated from College and got real jobs. Just think of all the kinds of people out there. Poor people don't always have bank accounts and some will keep cash and other valuables in a car. Sometimes the point of the burglary isn't to get the car itself, but what's inside. You know cash, iPods, gps systems.

But ya there were gangs signs that said "18th Street Gang" on the side of the building. It happened twice because they sand blasted it off the first time. Then they broke into the laundry room at my apartment complex destroyed one washer and then cut the power cord in half on another.

I wouldn't buy a house or rent in that area, you can if you want I don't care. I am just telling you what I have experienced living over there. Everyone experiences things differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska