U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,971 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Las Vegas NV my whole life and I am ready for a change. My husband and I have great jobs in Las Vegas which is mainly the reason for never moving. My brother lives in Omaha which is really the only reason I have thought about moving there. I have visited him many times and I'm not really in love with Nebraska but I'm wondering if I am missing what Nebraska has to offer.

What are the best and worst things about Nebraska? My husband is in Construction and I am in Accounting. We have 2 small children.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 08:05 PM

852 posts, read 1,194,607 times
The best things about living in Omaha include the low unemployment, the relatively low cost of living, it offers some of the entertainment options of larger cities without the commute, it has a thriving arts, sports, and music scene. It's appeared on a lot of "best of" lists lately which speaks to what a great place it is is to live and to raise children. The worst thing is the extremes in weather. It's been really hot here lately with temperatures exceeding 100 degrees. If you combine that with the high humidity that we got on occasion, it can feel like it's over 110 degrees. In the winters, it dips below zero and with the wind chills, it can feel much colder than that. Having said that, I will say that these aren't the norms. We get these conditions a handful times each year.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:14 PM

4 posts, read 10,894 times
Nebraska isn't exciting by any means. BUT, it is safe, has nice people, good jobs et... Its sort of its own little bubble, which is good at times and also rather annoying at times. Its almost too comfortable at times. Its easy to live here and want to leave but 15 years later you still are in Nebraska wondering why you haven't left. I guess thats a good thing. To me, its the people that you're around that make a good home good. Good people breeds good culture despite surroundings. Nebraska has this. Not to the degree of some other places but it does has its own unique respectable identity. Family, friends, community trump all other things. If you go somewhere and there are a lot of things to do and the place is beautiful, but the people are complete *******s then it sort of ruins everything. Thats why I like Nebraska. Its just a good, down to earth, simple, hardworking, midwestern community. Make no mistake, the weather sucks. HOT summers and FREEZING winters. Odd that I find myself looking forward to both when they come around though. If you can handle the weather in Nebraska, you'll be set for weather anywhere in the world.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:16 PM

4 posts, read 10,894 times
I love Las Vegas though. Not sure I would move there but I think its a great city

Old 07-17-2012, 10:37 PM

4,179 posts, read 9,387,002 times
My son and daughter both live and work in Las Vegas, so I can tell you some things they like (and don't). Bear in mind that DH and I moved here 4 years ago from the Southeast, so we are not natives. We live 'way 'WAY out in the country, so YMMV, but...

Nice people everywhere, almost a 1950's "Beaver Cleaver" attitude toward life - except the women are just as tough as the men. Even the teens say "Yessir" and "No, ma'm" and there is no epidemic of 'pants on the ground' disease.

Wide open spaces, lots of hunting and fishing, swimming, boating, tubing the rivers, outdoor things to do. Lots of fun places to go; from the church fund raisers thru the local rodeos, fairs, and festivals, to the home-produced melodramas and plays. The Annual Star Party is this week - every year hundreds of people meet every day in Valentine and every night at Merritt Dam to learn astronomy and look at the stars and planets. The town of O'Neill puts on a great St Patrick's Day celebration that you can take your children to without fear of having drunks fall all over them.

Kids have so much to do - 4-H, FFA, sports, acting, speech, music - both in school and out. (Many also rope and ride and work their family's farms and ranches from young ages.) The schools, espeically the more rural schools, are busy all year long and from sunup to sunset and sometimes long after. Many families' entire social lives revolve around their kids, grandkids, nephews, nieces, and all of their friends and activities.

Coming from Las Vegas - there are not usually 4 months of summer with temps over 100, and there is no 'monsoon season' here in Nebraska. Omaha and the eastern part of the state are far more humid than the western part of the state, and that can be a problem if you are coming from Vegas. People ask me - "What about the tornadoes?" We get lots of warnings, an occasional F1 or F2 touchdown, but rarely have I seen the damage of a tornado, and I have never seen an actual one here - I saw two F1's in the Southeast!

Cost of Living - it is far cheaper to live/eat/shop here than in Las Vegas - however, we do have an income tax here which you are not used to there. Locals tell me that taxes here are high, but coming from the Southeast, I find that is a matter of perspective.

The attitude of "everyone drags his own saddle" - i.e., you are responsible for your self and your family - is very prevalent out here. They won't shove their beliefs in your face, but they expect you not to do the same. "The Nebraska Way" - is polite and respectful of other peoples' boundaries; hysteria and drama are frowned upon. However, if you need help, there are always people there. We've had sudden blizzards come up and strand strangers on the road, and folks in homes and ranches will take them in until they can get on their way again.

Runzas. You'll find out.

Beef - real beef, great beef, and lots of it.

Dislikes:

The wind blows out here all. the. time. It can be unsettling and unnerving to people who hear nothing but the wind for hours, days, at a time. If you're used to Vegas traffic and nightlife sounds, it will seem almost unpopulated and silent to you. Omaha and Lincoln, even at their busiest (during a Husker home game or the College Baseball World Series) are still much, much quieter than Las Vegas.

The winters. My son says he could never live in a place "where the gods are so old that they don't have names" meaning that the winters out here are long, lonely, and either howling with blizzards or brilliant with huge drifts of sunlit snow. The silences and the distances between everything give him the shivers.

Jobs: While there are good jobs in the larger cities and towns, out in the country - not so much. Some folks I know drive 40 miles, one way, every day, so that they can live on their farm or ranch and still find work that pays a good salary.

My son and daughter in law particularly fear (without any reason that I can see) moving here because they are 'different' - she designs costumes in Vegas, they participate in Renaissance Faires as fairies and elves, etc, and they both have a very different lifestyle/attitude, and fear that they wouldn't fit in. However, most of the folks I know here would love to meet them and have them perform here!

Hope that helps.

Last edited by SCGranny; 07-17-2012 at 10:53 PM..

Old 07-22-2012, 11:24 AM

696 posts, read 1,495,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasmom1 View Post
My husband and I have great jobs in Las Vegas which is mainly the reason for never moving.
I could not imagine two adults giving up great jobs to move anywhere in the present economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska