U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-21-2012, 03:22 AM
 
Location: so cal
1,110 posts, read 1,945,226 times
Reputation: 1034

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort Sullivan View Post
And YOU are wrong in about a hundred ways.

Do you REALLY think every neighborhood is exactly the way it was 45 years ago?

Was that one of the urban "ghetto" schools, where a kid took a gun into school, and shot & killed people last year? No. It happened at Millard South - where the "good people" are.

Finally, I think you're making up about half of what you wrote here. Either that or you've been watching too many Charles Bronson movies.



Laurel & 42nd is not a good area of Omaha, but not really because of fear. The problem is that if you bought a house there you could have a lot of trouble selling it. Too many stupid, scared white people think that anywhere East of 90th Street is not safe. They'd rather live in a piece of crap Celebrity Home, than live next to a black family.
Do you mean the successful, educated people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2013, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
124 posts, read 269,023 times
Reputation: 59
I had a friend who lived second house from the corner right on 24th and Laurel. She only lived there for a year but she never had any issues, aside from when she was actually moving out, she had put stuff for free out on the lawn/sidewalk and then had other stuff that was NOT being given away on her enclosed porch. I was helping to move and happened to notice some guy just going through stuff on the porch. I asked him if I could help him and he had thought the stuff on the porch was free, when I told him it was not he started arguing with me that the extra "free" signs we had laying on something ON the porch made it seem like all of that was free. He finally left in a van with other people and I'm pretty sure they drove away with some things even after finding out it was not free. So yeah, definitely be aware of vultures. Also, I noticed that there seemed to be a high percentage of people who liked to just.. sit on their porch all day, which I found somewhat unnerving at times. I wouldn't consider it necessarily safe or unsafe, I suppose it just depends on your own lifestyle and who you choose to associate with and such. Personally, I wouldn't live in that area by choice but if circumstances came to be that I had to, it wouldn't be the end of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2013, 04:37 PM
 
20 posts, read 30,590 times
Reputation: 17
well we just moved here to Omaha a month ago and looking for a place,preferably a house in the zoo area as my son lives on Deer Park. We want at least 2 bedrooms,one has to be on the main floor and it doesn't really matter for the 2nd one. Bathroom also has to be on mail floor.My husband cannot handle stairs very well. anybody know of a house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2013, 06:36 PM
 
84 posts, read 100,563 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort Sullivan View Post
And YOU are wrong in about a hundred ways.

Do you REALLY think every neighborhood is exactly the way it was 45 years ago?
Mort, you crazy bastard. You can't even dispute what I said about 24th & Laurel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort Sullivan View Post
Was that one of the urban "ghetto" schools, where a kid took a gun into school, and shot & killed people last year? No. It happened at Millard South - where the "good people" are.
Once again Loon, look at the numbers of shootings that occured in North Omaha in 2012. They VASTLY outnumber the rest of the city!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort Sullivan View Post
Finally, I think you're making up about half of what you wrote here. Either that or you've been watching too many Charles Bronson movies.
I didn't make up squat. Just because a colostomy bag with ears like yourself doesn't believe it is not my problem. How I about I sit you down with my siblings and we'll listen to you tell us how it didn't happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort Sullivan View Post

Laurel & 42nd is not a good area of Omaha, but not really because of fear. The problem is that if you bought a house there you could have a lot of trouble selling it.
Nobody said anything about Laurel & 42nd. Comprehend much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort Sullivan View Post
Too many stupid, scared white people think that anywhere East of 90th Street is not safe.
Playing the race card now Mort?
The crime numbers back those people up. Why is that so hard for you to figure out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort Sullivan View Post
They'd rather live in a piece of crap Celebrity Home, than live next to a black family.
They'd rather live where the crime isn't. Keep making a race-baiting fool of yourself.
Your mom sure whelped a gutles cur.

Even Jim Suttle isn't that stupid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2013, 06:37 PM
 
84 posts, read 100,563 times
Reputation: 45
Default Mayor Mort would be a disaster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort Sullivan View Post
Anecdotal evidence?
Said the mental eunuch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Grand Island, Nebraska
736 posts, read 1,662,446 times
Reputation: 327
Just stay away from NO.
Say NO to NO.



Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk........Man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 11:02 PM
 
Location: Omaha/Lincoln, NE
125 posts, read 119,889 times
Reputation: 95
as somebody who has spent my whole (pre-college) as a relatively suburban (westroads area) white boy, i have mixed feelings

i've been bored waiting for my chosen activity to start of an afternoon, and driven through NO (up 24th from dodge and then down ames, or vice versa) in a fairly new car blasting f***in' PROG ROCK and not felt the least bit worried. however, i'm not 100% sure i'd do that after about 9PM. wouldn't exactly feel nervous driving through, but also would keep windows up, doors locked, and wouldn't stop for gas. honestly, the biggest problem with NO is that the way the city and the rivers/lakes are set up, there's absolutely no reason to go there if you're not going to a place that's specifically within said neighborhood, leading to it being isolated from the rest of the city and not of a whole heck of a lot of concern if you don't live ther

correct me if i'm wrong, old-timers; this is just an observation from about 4-5 years of paying attention to this stuff. however, if you're comfortable with living in an area with a somewhat rough reputation, i'd be fine living there. it's between the north freeway and about 60th between cuming and sorenson that would worry me more, personally
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top