U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 10:06 AM

1,821 posts, read 4,631,823 times

Advertisements

Excuse me, I should've said defense isn't constanly on the field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 11:09 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,647,905 times
Tpabes,

A person I know "who knows a person" claims that Pelini will be announced after the CU game, unless LSU is in the SEC title game, in which case they'll announce after that. They even went into specifics about how if Pelini was coaching in the SEC title game then Osborne would just publicly drag his feet and tell the media he's taking his time so he makes the "right decision".

Further, they go on to claim that Pelini is lobbying hard to get Rathman to come in as offensive coordinator. But they stressed that Rathman was not a done deal. They also claimed that Osborne had expressed interest in retaining both Busch and Watson. Pelini hadn't decided contacted anyone about the DC job, but Mike Stoops was probably the top candidate.

I'm not saying this is absolute or is fact, but it came from a source that flat out said when Pederson was being canned about 3 days ahead of time...long before it was on message boards and had predicted several other things days before they became public. So, if may be complete rumor, but I thought I'd share it with you.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:25 AM

11 posts, read 37,946 times
You had a winning coach but did not like winning the "old" way. You wanted to be new and sexy. So, you ditch a winner for the "west coast" junk. You got what you wanted. The good news is, it will now take you 3-5 more yrs to "rebuild"

go UT!!

Old 10-26-2007, 11:35 AM

UT,

The only person in Nebraska who wanted the new "west coast" system was Steve Pederson. People were outraged when he fired Solich the way he did. This isn't a case of "we got what we deserved".

Old 10-26-2007, 12:04 PM

1,821 posts, read 4,631,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Tpabes,

A person I know "who knows a person" claims that Pelini will be announced after the CU game, unless LSU is in the SEC title game, in which case they'll announce after that. They even went into specifics about how if Pelini was coaching in the SEC title game then Osborne would just publicly drag his feet and tell the media he's taking his time so he makes the "right decision".

Further, they go on to claim that Pelini is lobbying hard to get Rathman to come in as offensive coordinator. But they stressed that Rathman was not a done deal. They also claimed that Osborne had expressed interest in retaining both Busch and Watson. Pelini hadn't decided contacted anyone about the DC job, but Mike Stoops was probably the top candidate.

I'm not saying this is absolute or is fact, but it came from a source that flat out said when Pederson was being canned about 3 days ahead of time...long before it was on message boards and had predicted several other things days before they became public. So, if may be complete rumor, but I thought I'd share it with you.
Thanks for the info, I hope it is true.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:19 PM

193 posts, read 930,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
UT,

The only person in Nebraska who wanted the new "west coast" system was Steve Pederson. People were outraged when he fired Solich the way he did. This isn't a case of "we got what we deserved".
There are "other" reasons why Nebraska relieved Solich of his position as head coach not just "football". I liked him as head coach but he was setting a bad example for the college kids because of other things going on in his life. I have never seen anything in the papers about it but I heard alot of things from people who knew him outside of work. I think it was a good move for him to move on...From what I hear he is doing well.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:20 PM

Get real - the fans all wanted something "New". If they liked Solich so much, why not bring him back. Try that on your local talk radio and see how much heat you get.

GO UT

Old 10-26-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdsag View Post
There are "other" reasons why Nebraska relieved Solich of his position as head coach not just "football". I liked him as head coach but he was setting a bad example for the college kids because of other things going on in his life. I have never seen anything in the papers about it but I heard alot of things from people who knew him outside of work. I think it was a good move for him to move on...From what I hear he is doing well.

How cruel (but typical) – to trash a good man because you did not have any “real” reason to fire him. This trash talk was started by those who could not find a “real” reason to fire him. If this trash were true, how come it was not covered in any local or national media? If true, why did NE pay him 900K for firing him? Because if true he could have been fired for “cause”.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:36 PM

193 posts, read 930,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usranger74 View Post
How cruel (but typical) – to trash a good man because you did not have any “real” reason to fire him. This trash talk was started by those who could not find a “real” reason to fire him. If this trash were true, how come it was not covered in any local or national media? If true, why did NE pay him 900K for firing him? Because if true he could have been fired for “cause”.

I would not trash talk him...I don't know him. I know someone who was a really good source.if you look on the internet you will fine it. Sometimes change is a good thing so that you can go on with your life with a clean start. Everyone makes mistakes, myself included, it does not make you a bad person. Why it was not on the news, the only thing I can think of is that nobody wanted to be the ones to break something that would make the system look bad. I dont' know.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:44 PM

Ranger,

The consensus was that Solich probably wasn't going to be the guy, but the way he was pushed out is not the way business is ran at NU. I was in Lincoln when Solich got kicked out and people WERE outraged. Then, after it was clear he was gone, people were also upset that someone with ties to the old program didn't get the job (Gill, Pelini, etc). Maybe they weren't ready then, but there were many others who would have been better options that Callahan.

Your idea that the NU fans kicked Frank out and wanted to bring in a new guy to run the West Coast offense is just completely off base. We all liked Frank and figured he'd get a few more years after revamping his coaching staff, especially after going 9-3 and whooping up on CU at the end of the year. Then BOOM Pederson canned him. I promise...people were not happy about that...whether they though Solich was the "guy" or not. Pederson booted Frank...not the fans. There was any sort of pressure to fire him. No one expected it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or