U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,697 times

Advertisements

Hello from Lincoln. Fair town, friendly people...
Traffic patterns here leave a lot to be REDIRECTED some year.
Our governor does not have a safe way out if it was necessary to flee.

Food here is like any other large and sprawling midwestern town. Comparable to OMAHA since I grew up there. The political scenes are different flavored in Lincoln than in Omaha.

The weather is great. Four strong seasons full of temperature change and color. I especially love the winter with snow and not lots of ice.
Lincoln is a Riparian Forest area... a prairie caught between a river and a forest. It is not always so "DRY." Wildlife is around...if you search for the game and parks places to experience it.
Lincoln is a nice place to live. We take a lot of the good parts of Lincoln for granted, they're not found in every town in Nebraska. I do love Omaha, but landing in Lincoln is not something I ever dreamed of ...nor regret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2006, 03:18 PM

38 posts, read 281,522 times
Thumbs down Dry As A Bone Weather and No Good Eats To Be Had In Lincoln

“Food here is like any other large and sprawling midwestern town. Comparable to OMAHA since I grew up there.”

No, it’s not! Restaurants in Lincoln are mediocre at best. Omaha has a few really good restaurants -- not as many as Chicago, but then few places do. And as for fresh produce, neither place is as good as Chicago or the Twin Cities, but Omaha is better than Lincoln. As a general observation from living and working all over the midwest, the smaller the city, the worse the quality of the produce and the more it costs.

“ The weather is great.... I especially love the winter with snow and not lots of ice.”

WHAT A LAUGH!
Go to our local newspaper’s web site (Lincoln Journal Star) and look it up for yourself. We’ve gotten less than 24 inches of precipitation per year for the past 9 years. We get less ice than Kansas City, but we do get ice, and we get very little snow compared to MN, IA, IL, IN, MI, or OH.

“ Lincoln is a Riparian Forest area...”

ROTFLMAO! WHAT A JOKE! The nearest river is the Platte 30 miles away and it has almost no water in it during the summer months. Forest? The nearest “forest” is in the Missouri River valley east of Omaha. The only indigenous trees in Lincoln are cottonwoods along Salt Creek . The rest of the trees are all planted by homeowners, developers, the city, and the Arbor Day foundation. It’s no accident that Arbor Day was founded in Nebraska. It’s a bloody PRAIRIE here! You can’t grow trees with less than 24 inches of rain a year unless they’re being watered by humans.

Sorry, but if you like lush woodlands and beautiful scenery, you’re not going to find them in Lincoln. It’s the Russian steppes here.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:45 AM

16 posts, read 72,008 times
You can find many good places to eat...you will just have to look a little harder for them than if you were in a big city, and of course your not going to find a plethera of fresh sea-food, we are in the middle of the United States...the "seas" are very far away, but there are places you can get it. Like I said, you just have to look harder.

There are new developments going up ALL around Lincoln...in every corner and every side. Lincoln is expanding all directions. Yes, most of the wealthier are heading South, but there are "white collar" people all over town. The South parts of town are commercially developing the most and there are some small lakes and new golf courses around that part of town. There are new developments going up by and over the interstate as we speak (read). The only "poor" parts of town are in the middle, but there are wealthy people there as well, they just choose to keep their "status" to themselves. Not that many people make over $100,000 a year. Most people only make $30-50,000, so there is not a lot of demand for houses over $250,000. I work with people who live right smack in the middle of town and they live in a 6,000 square ft. house. The neighboors live in a house classified as a "mansion". The entire nation is in a "housing recession" and no one is building as fast as they have in the past few years.

As far as the interstate goes, there are faster moving streets that flow from north to south and east to west throughout the town. We do not need another interstate because we are too small for it. Like I said before, the drivers do drive me nuts though. We do have issues with stop lights being timed correctly and effeciently. I heard "they" are looking into fixing them though, but who knows when that will be.

Ice....whenever it snows, it usually "ices" first. And, if it doesn't, there is a day stuck in the middle of the snow days that it warms up and starts to melt things, and then makes it icy again. It is hard for the city to keep up with the salting and snow removal sometimes...especially in the "off streets". Being from MN, you should know how to drive in it, though. Just beware of the people who don't and go sliding through the stop signs or lights because they think they can go the speed limit in a coupe.

Forests....ummm...no forests...not even close. There are some prairies though The Platte is usually dried up (and you will see animals grazing on it).

As far as wildlife goes, depending on what you are looking for, and coming from a big "hunting family", there are lots of wildlife...of course, not in town...deer, quail, rabbits, coons, that type of "game".

I should mention that we have one of the best children's museaums in the nation and also, the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha is on the top 10...maybe 5 (I think). There was recently an article in the paper about the Lincoln Children's Zoo getting an award for the best "educational zoo".

Last edited by smalltowngal1026; 12-06-2006 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: proof-reading

Old 12-10-2006, 02:16 AM

482 posts, read 2,040,015 times
Default Lincoln?

AngelikaV,

Seems like you love Lincoln a lot. So just one question for you.

Why in the heck don't you just leave and move some place where you will be happier, like maybe Iraq? Heard the weather is great, shopping if fine, you can move around without fear, real estate is cheap, and driving is great as long as you are not driving by a IED or car bomb at the time.

Get a life.

Old 12-10-2006, 09:22 AM

4 posts, read 27,839 times
i decided to post here for you. i lived in linc for a year in the early 80's. are ppl friendly? yes, and no. i went all over the us and canada for years as a van operator for a major moving company. the rudest person i ever encountered was in linc nebr. (he actually tied with a longshoreman from nyc) that being said, if u go just a few miles out of town total strangers will wave at u as u meet them on the 2 lane roads. i wud have to say ppl in mn are just a smidgen nicer (maybe the word is polite) than ppl in lincoln. (i think its all the dairy products the consume from nearby wi...joke) in the mn st paul area i have to say that the traffic is more considerate to other drivers, and ppl are friendly as compaired to other large cities in the us. i wud say ppl in lincoln are between mn and wi on the friendlyness scale. i consider wi a bit less friendly. not much, but a smidge. more trees in east nebr than west. there are alot of places to go to to shop, eat although its not as diverse as other places in the US and u can go to omaha, just an hour away to shop and eat too. they may or may not be what you are expecting..... if i had a choice of shopping or eating in linc or wi, id choose wi hands down.... not bad traffic either...... even during rush hour compaired to other med sized towns. weather can be extreme from time to time. you might want to learn the phrase "go big red" and know what a husker is.....and buy something red for pete's sake! lol just kidding... we dont have pro sports in nebr and the huskers are pretty important to alot of ppl in the state as a form of pride. linc is a collage town as well. so hope this helps you with some info on the area

Old 12-10-2006, 02:19 PM

38 posts, read 281,522 times
Angry Small Minded Never-Been-Anywhere Locals Demonstrate Their Intelligence For All To See

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosnebbear View Post
AngelikaV,

Seems like you love Lincoln a lot. So just one question for you.

Why in the heck don't you just leave and move some place where you will be happier, like maybe Iraq? Heard the weather is great, shopping if fine, you can move around without fear, real estate is cheap, and driving is great as long as you are not driving by a IED or car bomb at the time.

Get a life.

To kosnebbear: For your information I HAVE a life; I just don't like living it in Lincoln. Why I'm stuck in this small-minded, culturally and politically atrophied, ugly town is none of your business. Suffice it to say, I'll be outta here as soon as I can be!

Most of the people I've met in Lincoln are EXACTLY like you. Your attitude of "if you don't love it here just the way it is, LEAVE" is sooooo hospitable, welcoming, and open ----- NOT! And you're not content to tell me to leave; you want me to DIE because I don't like your crummy town, your bad weather, your worse drivers, your pathetic shopping opportunities, and your poor food. How VERY Christian of you! How very open to the expression of divergent opinions and discourse with those with whom you disagree. In my previous postings I hadn't even touched on what the people of Nebraska are like, and now I don't need to. You have more than amply demonstrated it for all to see. You and those like you are the primary reason why transplants like me don't stay.

I must say, I find it quite telling that you chose to compare living in Lincoln to living in Iraq. You, too, must think very little of Lincoln to compare it to hell on earth or else you've never been anywhere and have no experiential base from which to draw another comparison. Either way, you're just so friggin' mean and nasty that you want everyone who disagrees with you to drop dead.

To those contemplating relocating to Lincoln: kosnebbear will be your neighbor. Consider that before you commit to the move.

If you're planning on living here you should know what you're getting into. Things change at a glacial pace in Lincoln, and when they do it's not always for the better. The town and the state are locked in an anti-progressive mindset. Change is the enemy here. Read the local section of our newspaper (Lincoln Journal Star) and see for yourself. Pay special attention to the "Letters to the Editor" section. You'll get a real feel for your potential neighbors.

What you can count on is that a small handful of wealthy individuals and large corporations run the state for their own enrichment to the detriment of the general populace. They get away with it because the citizenry, by in large, readily yields to authoritarian hierarchies and have made a veritable religion of conservative social and economic philosophies -- to the point where the monied class has easily manipulated those beliefs to pass the tax burden from themselves onto the backs of everyone else. When it comes to total tax burden, Nebraska is one of the worst states in the US. That's not hyperbole; that's a fact you can check for yourself. And yet there isn't enough money to provide adequate maintenance for local streets and sidewalks. Lincoln has a ten year maintenance backlog. Our local newspaper writes about it at least once a month. Check the facts for yourself.

How is it that Lincoln continues to grow despite it's all too obvious drawbacks? It's not from in migration to Nebraska. "Out state" as it's called here (comprising all of Nebraska outside the Omaha and Lincoln areas) is depopulating at a rate considered alarming. Some are moving out of state but most are moving to Lincoln and Omaha. Over 67% of the entire population of the Nebraska now lives within 30 miles of either Lincoln or Omaha. That's 67% of the people on 7.3% of the total land area, and the trend is expected to continue. Nonetheless, those cities don’t offer enough culturally or economically to stanch the state’s “brain drain” of college educated young people voting for their futures with their feet. Half Nebraska's college graduates leave the state. Many newspaper articles have been written on the topic. Google it. If the college educated are leaving, who is staying? Think about how that impacts culture, economics, politics, and overall quality of life. What kind of future will Nebraska have if it continues to hemorrhage college graduates? What kind of a future -- or present -- will you have in such a place?

Last edited by AngelikaV; 12-10-2006 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: Spelling.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,024 times
i've lived in lincoln for 8 years. angelikav is right on point. lincoln is imo the prototype of how the current administration would have every city be. the traffic is as muuch due to the *****-backwards road system, and pointless or jjust illogical redirection of traffic.

"As long as you stay out of south central Lincoln *south of O street, West of 27th* the streets are pretty safe. "

HA! this is the only area i would ever live in, mostly because of rental opportunities and relativity to any place cool i want to go to. there is some level of underground community of younger artists, musicians, and business owners, but it for some reason seems like things take forever to "take off", and then nothing ever REALLY breaks creatively, alot because the really driven people leave.
i've lived all over in the area being referenced above, and the worst you'll get are pestering crackheads or drunks, and only if you live right next to them.
as for drunks, the bar scene is prettymuch the nightlife. there is a huge number of bars to cater to the students, but it is really hard to find QUALITY music on a given night.
we have a food co-op, which gets seafood in as fresh as it gets here (1-2 days) 3 times a week, which is the only retail unfrozen besides getting it from the distributer.
as you can see,we are BORED, or we wouldn't be writing so much!

Old 12-12-2006, 04:49 AM

673 posts, read 3,752,614 times
I moved to Lincoln about 6 months ago and honestly have not been impressed by alot of things about this place but they do have alot of retail which is nice.

First, this town is run terribly. I have never seen such a terribly ran city or town in my life. They have tons of potholes on the sidewalks, some potholes on the streets and the traffic is terrible for such a small population (population: 280,000). The back-ups on the streets going through town are very bad also and alot of people drive old trucks that have emissions issues also. The traffic is terrible here though, much worse then Omaha. Also, because Omaha doesn't have all the rural Nebrakans moving in to their town they have much better drivers. Rural Nebraskans go to college and they are terrible drivers and very disrepectful also. I dont think its so much native-Lincolnites are bad drivers.

I also think Lincoln's older neighborhoods are blighted and run-down. Literally, in all four directions for 2 miles each way of downtown its blighted with the exception of some nice older homes. As far as neighborhood reviltalization its not Lincoln's strong suit. Lincolnites by and large have no interest in living in the area of adjacent to the run-down, high-vacancy downtown and I cant blame them. Most people are moving to the suburban area of towns if they can afford it.

So for people moving to Lincoln I would say lousy downtown, lots of blighted areas and run-down homes in the center but some nice suburbs, very conservative but alot of retail for a city its size in the suburban newer areas.

I will say this the retail selection for only 280,000 people is very good in my opinion. There are plenty of moderately priced retailers here but as far as the well-off people alot of them would have to go to Omaha because they have more retail-selection. I would say for the majority of people the retail selection is very impressive for a place of its size. Lincoln just doesnt have the up-scale retailers because its population is not big enough and its slightly below the national average on per-capita income.

I think Lincoln has a very bland, generic and decling downtown. A decent selection of basic retail needs downtown, but as far as selection of retailers, people and environment in downtown Lincoln has one of the worst downtown's ive seen so far. Way too many vacant storefronts in the downtown area and it gets worse as you go east.

Not being from Nebraska, people who are from Lincoln or Omaha tend to be polite and somewhat luke-warm friendly. But I will say this people from rural Nebraska who come here for college are the rudest people I have ever met. People from these little towns of 500 people in rural Nebraska come here for college and act like its some big city although its metro area is smaller then Duluth's and half the size of Wichita. The people here from rural areas are terrible drivers, they also love getting in their old trucks are revving up the engine to show off.

I can always tell a Lincolnite or Omaha from a rural Nebraskan. In the two medium sized places they will make eye-contact. Rural Nebraskans (going to college here, mainly) on the other hand would never make eye-contact with people because they think no matter where your from if you arent from a small dusty town in rural Nebraska your a nobody.

Last edited by MattDen; 12-12-2006 at 05:01 AM..

Old 12-16-2006, 09:30 PM

30,315 posts, read 16,819,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
The traffic is terrible here though, much worse then Omaha. Also, because Omaha doesn't have all the rural Nebrakans moving in to their town they have much better drivers. Rural Nebraskans go to college and they are terrible drivers and very disrepectful also. I dont think its so much native-Lincolnites are bad drivers.
My experience with driving through Omaha when I've visited, is that it's fairly easy to get around in, and the grid pattern layout of the streets helps out tremendously (numbered streets run north/south and named streets run east/west). I guess it's no surprise that the rural Nebraskans aren't such good drivers, since they don't have to contend with commuter traffic where they're from.

Quote:
Not being from Nebraska, people who are from Lincoln or Omaha tend to be polite and somewhat luke-warm friendly. But I will say this people from rural Nebraska who come here for college are the rudest people I have ever met. People from these little towns of 500 people in rural Nebraska come here for college and act like its some big city although its metro area is smaller then Duluth's and half the size of Wichita. The people here from rural areas are terrible drivers, they also love getting in their old trucks are revving up the engine to show off.
That's interesting you say that, because my friend in Omaha is originally from a small rural town in western Iowa, near Sioux City. He lived here in California for a year over 20 years ago (we worked for the same company at the time). He felt the people out here weren't very friendly. When I visited Omaha, I thought the people there were friendlier than here, just as my friend did.

Quote:
I can always tell a Lincolnite or Omaha from a rural Nebraskan. In the two medium sized places they will make eye-contact. Rural Nebraskans (going to college here, mainly) on the other hand would never make eye-contact with people because they think no matter where your from if you arent from a small dusty town in rural Nebraska your a nobody.
Once again, very interesting insights on city versus rural Nebraskans. I'm wondering, however, if University of Nebraska football in the fall unites all Nebraskans, rural and city alike?

Old 01-02-2007, 09:29 AM

2 posts, read 8,086 times
I think that when you look at Nebraska from the viewpoint you have, AngelikaV, it does seem like a god aweful existance. I'm sorry about that. I'm also sorry that you became the Nebraska spokesperson for this website. I hope other much happier Nebraskans will speak out in the future about the positives of this great state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska