U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 03:23 PM

2 posts, read 8,088 times

Advertisements

As a teacher in Nebraska for many years, I will state that we have an excellent school system K-12. I think Lincoln is an excellent city to raise children in. I think this is the kind of response you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 12:46 PM

673 posts, read 3,753,447 times
Lincoln might be an excellent place to raise to family if people enjoy raising a family on wages 20 percent below the national average. Seriously, since this city wants to compete with rural mormon areas of Utah on birth-rates it seems like the first priority is schools, schools, schools which means taxes, taxes, taxes. After the tremendous amount of people in the school system for a city of its size this place has very little left over for infrastructure.

I think its hillarious how Lincoln can pass a 250 million dollar school bond issue like a hot knife through butter but the city of Lincoln is very, very cheap on business incentives so despite gaining 14,000 people in the last 5 years it has only gained 4,500 jobs in a little over 5 years.

Lincoln will do anything to force its socially conservative agenda upon people, the zoning boards hate multi-unit dwellings like condos because they arent family-friendly so they build vinyl-sided homes instead because they have family friendly.

Also, The school system levy again is 7 TIMES what it is in parts of Colorado's front range. 170 dollars in Colorado Springs suburb of Fountain per 100,000 and in Lincoln it's 1,250 dollars.

Lincoln needs to put the entire city into Tax Increment financing district and any additional property values to should go to recruiting businesses, infrastructure improvements rather then the schools board people who could care less about Lincoln's failing economy because of their property tax-loving agenda.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:25 PM

7 posts, read 19,757 times
Wow, what a diverse amount of responses! I guess people in Lincoln are passionate about their city in many ways. I was reading the Journal Star online and I saw that there's an uproar with snow removal. And why are there so many nurses in Lincoln?

Old 01-25-2007, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,401 times
As with anything, the grass is always greener on the other side. I've lived in Lincoln all my life, but also travel all over the country for work. There are up sides and down sides to Lincoln. I would agree with those that the infrastructure is not as good as Omaha and yes, they have more options with restaurants and retail. However, this seems obvious to me as Omaha is more than double the size than Lincoln. This is where one might say, "Duh!"

For a town this size, Lincoln is very nice. For those that are reeling with anger when they write their blogs about Lincoln, well, I don't know really what to say, other than they would probably complain about the $20 bill they just found on the street wasn't crisp enough. Reading some of the comments I am imagining veins popping out of their heads while they are typing into their computer, which makes me wonder how young they are.

As I've mentioned, I've traveled all over the country and still enjoy living in Lincoln. I cannot say whether other's transplanting to Lincoln would enjoy it. The original request was from Minnesota and I would venture to guess that if the job is worth it, Lincoln is not that far off from Minnesota.

If someone who enjoyed living in Manhattan asked about Lincoln, I would probably tell them to stay there.

Old 01-26-2007, 05:56 AM

673 posts, read 3,753,447 times
First off, saying Lincoln is not different from Minnesota is not accurate. Lincoln, Nebraska average wage per job is 32,600 and in Hennepin County, Minnesota its 50,000. So economically, Lincoln is a complete mess compared to Minneapolis. Additionally, Lincoln average wage per week is 644 dollars and in Denver its 1,065 dollars so Lincoln is a major economic failure for most of the people who live here (Bureau of Labor Statistics data, first quarter 2006: 314 largest counties), except the clique who has connections with the people running the city they are doing very well.

Lincoln is about one thing catering to a very small group of small-business owners who give city hall the marching orders. I feel very sorry for all the people who pay very high property taxes to a city government that nothing more then a clique who works for the interests of their best friends only.

I will never go to a locally owned business in Lincoln for example, Im just happy they have chains here.

I am sorry that some people's standards are so very low that to them trailer courts, vacant lots and rude people constitute a very nice city. Then again in Lincoln standards are set very low. A large amount of Lincolnites are alcoholic, methadone addicts who because the city is so poor that they have few treatment options. Lincolnites also have so many babies, that to keep the schools funded the property tax rates are 7 times parts of Colorado, thats part of the reason why Lincoln has so many 5 bedroom 1970s era trailer courts just a few miles from downtown and spread out over a large area.

Well, Lincoln is a very nice city if you love paying astronomical property taxes (Im a renter by the way) to live in a town with a declining infrastructure.

I just love laughing at this little town in the middle of a cornfield. They have such grandiose ambitions from thinking despite a major budget deficits. Brand new convention centers, public squares, arena districts, hotels, parking garages and condo's despite massive budget deficits.

I love the arrogance of the people here. If they built a convention center that suddenly at the drop of a hat everybody will have conventions in Lincoln because people from other cities just cant wait to see Lincoln "the city of trailer parks".

On the subject of trailers, Lincoln has a big trailer courts with-in a few miles of their downtown. Its amazing while other cities redevolopment is all about lofts, high-rise condo's and brick high-quality housing. Lincoln redevolopment is mainly about trailer parks so all these people can have a 1970's era 5 bedroom trailer to raise those large families in.

Last edited by MattDen; 01-26-2007 at 06:14 AM..

Old 01-27-2007, 06:04 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 3,677,791 times
You obviously hate Lincoln so why don't you move?? Or is it Lincoln's fault that you can't afford to move away?

Old 01-27-2007, 06:15 PM

475 posts, read 2,041,131 times
Personally, I think he had some traumatic episode in Nebraska as a child or something... and he's come back here to confront his feelings. It's alright Matt... just let it all out... we understand.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:20 PM

450 posts, read 1,718,372 times
Here's my take... I spent a couple of years in Lincoln during college and spent a lot of time visiting after college. My opinion? I loved it. I also lived in the Twin Cities for three years, and no joke -- I met more people in my first week in Nebraska than I ever met in Minnesota. Lincolnites tend to be more outgoing and more outspoken than Minnesotans, perhaps I fit in better in Lincoln!

If you're looking for the ballet with valet parking and a white tablecloth restaurant to go to before or after, Lincoln's not your town. Then again, for a lot of us, that's a plus, not a minus. To me, all three of those things scream "pretentious" -- and if that's what you're into, fine. But for me, I'm much more into grabbing a beer, watching a game, and socializing with good people. If that's what you're into, it's tough to beat Lincoln in my opinion.

Housing costs are higher than Omaha, always have been it seems. Not really sure why... it's just the way it seems to be.

If you love sports, Lincoln is your town. Football is big, but so are basketball and hockey. Volleyball is more popular than anywhere in the country -- the average person on the street knows far more about the game and follows far closer than in Southern California, which is often considered the volleyball mecca.

The area south of O and west of 27th... I knew a few people there, visited often, never thought twice about crime. By the standards of large cities, I don't think there's one street in Lincoln where you have to be concerned.

Let me know if you have any questions. I've lived in a variety of places, and Lincoln is high on my list. But it all depends on what you want. For me, Lincoln was a great fit, and I recommend it highly. Coming from Minnesota, you'll enjoy the warm winters! (Trust me, in comparison, you will think you have moved to Florida!)

Old 02-03-2007, 12:42 PM

475 posts, read 2,041,131 times
Quote:
Housing costs are higher than Omaha, always have been it seems. Not really sure why... it's just the way it seems to be.
Probably somewhat attributable to the old 'volume, volume, volume' adage. Omaha is simply building SO many houses, for better or for worse, builders are likely more proficient at throwing them up, at a lower cost.

New construction in Council Bluffs is also a little more expensive than Omaha... and yet, just across the river.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:36 AM

1,394 posts, read 3,927,190 times
Just wondering,is that Superior 500 gas station still around?
It was close to some railroad tracks, my dad used to manage or own it when I was a small child. It brings back so many good memories, my dad died in 1976, and I always wonder about that as I am driving through Nebraska.
You guys are great, and make my family and I feel like we fit right in when we stop fora hotel stay, to get a bite to eat, or even when our van broke down, you guys go above and beyond helping strangers, a big thank you to everyone!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska