Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 02:38 PM

4 posts, read 25,256 times

Advertisements

have lived in LNC off/on since 02, and i still feel like it is at least ONE of the USA's best kept secrets...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 06:42 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,673 times
star gazer... Lincoln Stars fan, I presume? One of the best places anywhere to watch a hockey game is the Ice Box, I had season tickets for several seasons.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:37 AM

3 posts, read 12,113 times
Smile Living in Lincoln

I noticed from a post that MattDen is a renter, I wonder if you (or anyone else) have any suggestions on where to rent. Any good apartments nearby UNL? Any good apartments in the southeast area? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks!!

Old 03-15-2007, 09:39 AM

585 posts, read 2,223,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
First off, saying Lincoln is not different from Minnesota is not accurate. Lincoln, Nebraska average wage per job is 32,600 and in Hennepin County, Minnesota its 50,000. So economically, Lincoln is a complete mess compared to Minneapolis. Additionally, Lincoln average wage per week is 644 dollars and in Denver its 1,065 dollars so Lincoln is a major economic failure for most of the people who live here (Bureau of Labor Statistics data, first quarter 2006: 314 largest counties), except the clique who has connections with the people running the city they are doing very well.

Lincoln is about one thing catering to a very small group of small-business owners who give city hall the marching orders. I feel very sorry for all the people who pay very high property taxes to a city government that nothing more then a clique who works for the interests of their best friends only.

I will never go to a locally owned business in Lincoln for example, Im just happy they have chains here.

I am sorry that some people's standards are so very low that to them trailer courts, vacant lots and rude people constitute a very nice city. Then again in Lincoln standards are set very low. A large amount of Lincolnites are alcoholic, methadone addicts who because the city is so poor that they have few treatment options. Lincolnites also have so many babies, that to keep the schools funded the property tax rates are 7 times parts of Colorado, thats part of the reason why Lincoln has so many 5 bedroom 1970s era trailer courts just a few miles from downtown and spread out over a large area.

Well, Lincoln is a very nice city if you love paying astronomical property taxes (Im a renter by the way) to live in a town with a declining infrastructure.

I just love laughing at this little town in the middle of a cornfield. They have such grandiose ambitions from thinking despite a major budget deficits. Brand new convention centers, public squares, arena districts, hotels, parking garages and condo's despite massive budget deficits.

I love the arrogance of the people here. If they built a convention center that suddenly at the drop of a hat everybody will have conventions in Lincoln because people from other cities just cant wait to see Lincoln "the city of trailer parks".

On the subject of trailers, Lincoln has a big trailer courts with-in a few miles of their downtown. Its amazing while other cities redevolopment is all about lofts, high-rise condo's and brick high-quality housing. Lincoln redevolopment is mainly about trailer parks so all these people can have a 1970's era 5 bedroom trailer to raise those large families in.
Matt, there are a bunch of trailer parks in the Choice City, Fort Collins Colorado.

It seems to me that you are working hard at trying to convince yourself you hate Lincoln. All you want to see is the bad. For living there for what, 6 months, you sure ACT like you know how the city is run. LOL.

And generalizing Nebraskans as unfriendly, arrogant, and rednecky is not only offensive to me, it's extremely ignorant. Many outsiders coming into Colorado regularly complain how rude and arrogant Coloradoans are to people that aren't natives. You remind me of a typical outsider that's having a tough time adjusting and blaming the locals for their miserable lives.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:13 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblebelly View Post
Matt, there are a bunch of trailer parks in the Choice City, Fort Collins Colorado.

It seems to me that you are working hard at trying to convince yourself you hate Lincoln. All you want to see is the bad. For living there for what, 6 months, you sure ACT like you know how the city is run. LOL.

And generalizing Nebraskans as unfriendly, arrogant, and rednecky is not only offensive to me, it's extremely ignorant. Many outsiders coming into Colorado regularly complain how rude and arrogant Coloradoans are to people that aren't natives. You remind me of a typical outsider that's having a tough time adjusting and blaming the locals for their miserable lives.
People living in Papillion, NE on average are making nearly $60,000 a year
and Elkhorn residents were I believe over $70,000 until they got annexed a few weeks ago, it's amazing how you can twist information around using a suburb

Old 03-15-2007, 12:18 PM

673 posts, read 4,069,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblebelly View Post

Besides Omaha isnt unfriendly but more in the middle on the friendliness scale but I Lincoln and the rest of the state to be unfriendly and incredibly arrogant. It seems like because Lincoln is extremely socially conservative and extremely judgemental people believe that if you dont live a certain way (married with 2 or 3 babies) that something is wrong. I guess the thing about Omaha is the people there dont look at issues in absolutes like Lincolnites or the rest of the state does, although Omaha could be more open-minded.

I have heard some Lincolnites who have been here along time that it used to be a city of moderate political and social views but decades of rural Nebraskans migrating in have caused the city to because extremely conservative, judgemental and arrogant.

Last edited by MattDen; 03-15-2007 at 12:28 PM..

Old 03-15-2007, 01:01 PM

585 posts, read 2,223,294 times
Quote:
Besides Omaha isnt unfriendly but more in the middle on the friendliness scale but I Lincoln and the rest of the state to be unfriendly and incredibly arrogant. It seems like because Lincoln is extremely socially conservative and extremely judgemental people believe that if you dont live a certain way (married with 2 or 3 babies) that something is wrong. I guess the thing about Omaha is the people there dont look at issues in absolutes like Lincolnites or the rest of the state does, although Omaha could be more open-minded.

I have heard some Lincolnites who have been here along time that it used to be a city of moderate political and social views but decades of rural Nebraskans migrating in have caused the city to because extremely conservative, judgemental and arrogant.
Your ignorant generalizing is getting old. I'm starting to think it's you that's the problem, not Lincoln. People are just as friendly in Colorado as they are in Nebraska.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:28 PM

482 posts, read 2,226,098 times
MattDen you were doing so good at posting your statics. Now you are going off on how unfriendly the people are in Nebraska. MattDen get back on track son, people in all parts of America have rude people and nice people. Right now I put you more on the rude side of the line. You can not tell me that you have been mistreated by all of the people of Nebraska in a rude and unfriendly way. You may have had one or two incidents and now you think that we all are like that which is generalizing based on these few incidents. CHILL OUT MATTDEN.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:38 PM

42 posts, read 192,184 times
I'm married with 3 kids and I still don't have any friends (I've lived in Lincoln over 12 yrs!) !!!
Don't get me wrong, Lincoln has been a great experience for me and my family and we are sad to leave (new job awaiting). As a foreigner living here I will say that people are extremely friendly on the outside but, at least for us, it has been impossible to form real friendships outside of the University circle of other foreigners or of local Lincoln natives who have lived abroad for some time. The fact that we are not affiliated with any church doesn't help either as nearly everyone seems to be active in some kind of church or another. Still, Lincoln remains a very nice place to live and raise a family and as I said before, we will miss it when we go.

Quote:

Old 03-16-2007, 02:27 PM

482 posts, read 2,226,098 times
Mosaic,

What is your price range? Are you coming to Lincoln to go to UNL? Out along 84th Street north and south of "O" Street they have some new apartments. However that is some distance from UNL. They have some nice apartments on the west side of Lincoln along "O" Street. They have apartments all over Lincoln. Why don't you go on line to check out the Lincoln Journal Star at http://www.journalstar.com/ they have a link just for apartments. If you see one that might be what you are looking for just ask and I am sure that someone who lives in Lincoln for more than 7 or 8 months will help you. I live southeast of Lincoln, but I know Lincoln very well so I will help as much as I can. Some will post a bunch of statics for you, but these will not tell you about the area that is real.

Good luck in finding something for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska