U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 07:57 AM

10 posts, read 47,639 times

Advertisements

may I ask how high property taxes in Lincoln?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 08:58 PM

3 posts, read 14,910 times
Default Not every area is bad

As long as you stay out of south central Lincoln *south of O street, West of 27th* the streets are pretty safe.

This is a pretty generalized statement and landmarks a very large area of Lincoln. I live in this area and it is not like this everywhere. Don't forget that Sheridan Blvd is in that location. The country club area is also located within the boundaries you speak of. I love where I live and I fall right into those divider streets.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:20 PM

422 posts, read 1,069,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelikaV View Post
snowlandcook,

I’m probably going to take a lot of heat from the locals for my comments, but speaking as a “transplant” to a potential newcomer, you should know what you’re getting into if you move here. It would help to know the size of community you’re relocating from. If you’re coming from Minneapolis-St. Paul, you’d be much, much happier in Omaha than Lincoln. As a matter of fact, unless you come from a town of less than 50,000 and like small town life, you’d probably prefer Omaha. You see, even though Lincoln has a population of 230,000 the community has much more in common with a town of 50,000, both positively and negatively.

Shopping here is god-awful. This is the town that fashion forgot. It takes at least 5 years for a fashion trend to find us if it ever gets here at all. Your best bet for fashion is Kansas City; second is Omaha, though there are a few local boutiques scattered about where you might be able to find a few items approximating last year's fashion trends. There’s only one regional mall, it’s a pain in the @#* to get to, and doesn’t have any “higher end” shopping options. For that you’re going to have to go to Omaha or Kansas City. There’s one other shopping center. It’s on the far south end of town (where most of the new development is occurring), but it’s small, open air and anchored mostly by “big box” retailers, though one of it’s anchors is Von Mauer’s which is as “high end” a department store as you’re going to find here. Shopping on the north side of town is pretty much limited to Walmart and Shopko. There are two smaller Targets in town, but neither is on the north side. If you like shopping at SuperTarget, forget it. There isn’t one, nor is there a Kmart. For those you’ll have to go to Omaha. And if all that isn't bad enough, you're going to have to pay 7.5% sales tax on all your clothing purchases.

As for supermarkets, don’t get me started. If you’re accustomed to good seafood, it’s nonexistent here. If you like fish, you’re pretty much going to have to buy it frozen. Buying it unfrozen DOES NOT mean buying it fresh. It means that it was once frozen and is now thawed, so only buy it if you’re planning on preparing it IMMEDIATELY. I learned this the hard way. You’d think living in an agricultural state would mean good produce, but guess again. Produce here is inferior and costs more than what you’re able to find routinely in the twin cities. For good produce you’re going to have to go to the farmer’s market on Saturday mornings May to September. The rest of the year produce is expensive and grim. The one thing you can get is good meat, but not at the supermarket. A little market called Leon’s has the best meat, followed closely by another little market called Ideal. Ideal is also where you’re going to have to go for all your specialty and gourmet items. If they don’t have what you’re looking for, they’ll order it for you, but expect to pay more than your accustomed to.
Umm, Ok
I know this post is quite old, but after reading all of the negative posts about Lincoln, I felt compelled to reply. So, I have lived in Chicagoland most of my live (grew up in Oak Park, currently live on the NW Side) except for the 8 years I lived in the Twin Cities area (St. Paul). I have many relatives in Nebraska (my dad grew up in Lincoln) and have visited Lincoln at least twice a year as long as I have been alive.
First, if your used to living in large cities (like apparently Angelika is) you have to know that your not going to find a restaurant or market that will offer every type of food under the sun and shopping will not be what you're used to. That should be a given. I mean DUH! The whole state of Nebraska has less people than the inner city of Chicago, so obviously there is a much smaller customer base. If having the freshest sea food available is a necessity for you, then by all means stay in the Twin Cities (or Chicago) whatever.
Over the years i have grown to like Lincoln. I think that the city offers as many restaurant choices and shopping choices for a city its size (my opinion). In fact I like that outdoor shopping place (South Point I believe its called?) There seems to be a mix of housing stock that will suit almost anyones taste (granted you will not find high rise condos).

Even though I am a liberal and I am also gay, I understand that Nebraska is more conservative than Chicago, and I am fine with that. No one seems to be in your face about it (at least the people I know). If you want to complain about traffic, try driving down the Dan Ryan pretty much any time of day. Traffic in Lincoln is a breeze! It would be nice to have more mass transit, but that's probably a ways off. I appreciate my visits to Lincoln, and we go out to eat and some places are pretty good. Infact, there is a good Mexican restaurant just east of downtown, but I cant remember the name. It was really good. I also remember eating at Valentinos when I was a kid and it was really good, but the last one I went to the turned it into a chuckie cheeses type place. Whats up with that?
Anyway, I cant say anything about property taxes and things like that since I have never lived there, but the schools seem good (Ive had several cousins graduate from Lincoln schools and they turned out fine-most of them.)
Also, even though I am not a huge sports fan, its pretty exciting too see how enthusiastic how everyone gets once college football season rolls around. The Huskers are kind of something most people in that area can relate to, and a great conversation starter!
So all people reading this form, if your not up-tight and demand the finest things in life at the snap of a finger, you will be fine in Lincoln. It has pretty much everything the regular person would need, and it seems to be growing at a pretty healthy rate. At least its not like Flint, MI or Sioux City etc. There are many, many worse places. In fact there are some places in Chicago that make Lincoln seem like paradise. FYI, summers in Chicago can get hot as he** to.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:25 PM

224 posts, read 860,958 times
I was in the AF and stationed at Lincoln AFB from December 1963 until it closed in June 1966.

I was in my early 20's, and I loved going into Lincoln. The University was cool...CED courses, the student union, and the football team. Lots of events at Pershing auditorium and lots of bars to hang out in...favs were Robbie's and the Hob Knob.

The Lincolnites treated the GI's quite well, and for a young guy it was terrific duty. Lots of young ladies at all those colleges.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:53 PM

1,119 posts, read 3,814,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Bonner View Post
I was in the AF and stationed at Lincoln AFB from December 1963 until it closed in June 1966.

I was in my early 20's, and I loved going into Lincoln. The University was cool...CED courses, the student union, and the football team. Lots of events at Pershing auditorium and lots of bars to hang out in...favs were Robbie's and the Hob Knob.

The Lincolnites treated the GI's quite well, and for a young guy it was terrific duty. Lots of young ladies at all those colleges.

Lincoln has been a very good town.. Even now when it is about to top 300,000 for the metro and 250,000 for the city limits and is continually growing..

Old 09-11-2008, 03:18 PM

224 posts, read 860,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
Lincoln has been a very good town.. Even now when it is about to top 300,000 for the metro and 250,000 for the city limits and is continually growing..
When I was there in the AF, I believe Lincoln was around 165,000. 1963-66.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:13 PM

102 posts, read 322,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlandcook View Post
We currently live in MN and are thinking about relocating (for a job) to Lincoln Nebraska. What is it like to live there? Do you get any snow? What is the housing market like? Are people friendly?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Do we get snow? All you see on the ground is snow in December and January.
Not to discourage you, but the winters are really something. I like Omaha better than Lincoln, but Lincoln is okay.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:07 PM

15 posts, read 45,255 times
re: bad drivers

i know you all probably don't care about the observation of someone who was in lincoln for all of 48 hours several years ago, but i noted that, despite the town being unremarkable in other ways, lincoln drivers had to be the BEST for a city of that size that i have EVER encountered. and i have told this to people all over the U.S. my next highest ratings would go to Oklahoma City and Cincinnati (of course I have not driven in every major city in the U.S. but i would say by and large the midwest usually has the best drivers -- and i'm not a midwesterner). no one tried to pass on the right, no one failed to signal, all four people at a four way stop were in mutual agreement about the sequence of progression, no one changed lanes without adequate space/time. they were extremely orderly and logical, non-agressive yet efficent.

just the 2 cents of a (registered libertarian although I can't stand that egomaniac who's usurping the party naming no names) hippie-hobo who was ramblin around in NE. as for small towns in NE, i happened to be in NE at the same time that the rainbow gathering was letting out in colorado and all kinds of hippies were traveling back to whereever they came from (now the rainbow gathering crowd is NOT my crowd but you couldn't tell that from looking at me, i don't have dreadlocks or anything but i'm pretty shaggy/scruffy lookin'); some people gave me dirty looks but many were extremely friendly, giving me directions to and recommendations of state parks and recreational areas.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,931 times
Default hi, need help, moving to Lincoln

Hi, you seem to be good sported person about Lincoln. I am moving to Lincoln for grad school, and I badly needed some advice about downtown living. Hope you could help! The address I am thinking of moving into is 1028 H street,
Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosnebbear View Post
Sorry that your first answer came from MattDen.

First there are many different areas that you and your family can go to to enjoy the out doors. Just north west of Lincoln is Branched Oak Lake. They have several beaches where you can go for a swim. It is a large lake where if you have a boat you can enjoy skiing as well. There are several smaller lakes where you can go to and fish. These smaller lakes have speed restrictions and what kind of boats are allowed. All of these areas you can camp out as well at.

You are within a few hours of two amusement parks in the area. You can check both out on line. There is Adventureland in Des Moines Iowa and Worlds of Fun/Oceans of Fun in Kansas City. We also have one of the finest zoos in the world in Omaha, it is the Henry Doorley Zoo, which you can also check out on line. Lincoln also has a small zoo that is set up with children in mind. Lincoln has a small water park on the south side of town, but it nothing more than a large swimming pool. Grand Island on the other hand has a very nice water park that has a wave machine, it is Island Oasis Water Park. So there is a lot for your children to do and see here in Nebraska. This is only about one and half hours west of Lincoln by using I-80.

Most of our food here is tax free. You will have to pay sales tax on prepared food items only that have been cooked and served to you. I know that the sales tax rate is at .05 for every $1.00 spent, but some cities will had on a city wide sales tax as well. The las time I was in Lincoln they have added on a .015 sales tax on top of the .05 sales tax that the state has made state wide. As for property taxes being to high is a big issue with us here. You need to look at the property taxes that I am paying. I am paying more than most in Lincoln has to pay and I live is a smaller community about 30 minutes away. We don't like our high property taxes either.

Lincoln has the children's museum that is downtown close to the Universtiy of Nebraska-Lincoln campus. There are many roller skating rinks in the Lincoln area as well. Did you know that the National Roller Skating Museum is also located in Lincoln and that we host the National Junior Roller Skating Championships in Lincoln as well. Lincoln has a golf course just for kids as well. They have youth baseball, softball, football, volleyball, tennis, and most other sports for kids as well.

Lincoln has a very nice and large walking and biking trail system that you can use to go from one side of town to the other side. These trails are well maintained and are being added to every year.

As for the drivers in Lincoln, you will find that most of the drivers to in clude those rude country folks like me that MattDen hates so much are very good drivers and will be driving safely. Just like in Knoxville you will have those knotheads who will be driving some where else in their minds and not watching out at what they are doing. Nebraska is working on a state law that will make it a traffic offense if you are talking on a cell phone and driving your car.

I hope that I have given you some of the information that you are looking for.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:17 AM

68 posts, read 203,012 times
I wouldn't since 1028 H does not exist. There is an apartment building at 1020 H if that is what you mean. The best part is that the court house is a few hundred feet away so the cops are close, but then the street walkers a few streets away are also close. I would continue looking, but if you have to good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska