U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 04:33 PM

1,821 posts, read 4,796,386 times

Advertisements

I would like to see Nebraska improve its tourism. I look at our neighbors in South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado and Missouri and see how tourism brings $ to the state and we all know that some more $ wouldn't hurt Nebraska. I personally see areas that have tourism that can be improved such as the Panhandle (Scottsbluff aream, Pine Ridge), Lake Big McConahgy, Kearney area and the Arch, and the Mahoney Park area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 09:10 AM

884 posts, read 839,622 times
I don't think there’s much to see in Nebraska as them other areas. I mean really, who wants to travel hundreds of miles to see sandhills and a crane? Missouri at least has large lakes which are developed(Ozarks/Table Rock) with hotels, restaurants etc. Nebraska's largest lake is McConahay which is drying out and not too mention, in the middle of nowhere.

I think Nebraska missed it's chance when the idea came up about building a large lake near Ashland. That could have been huge.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:27 AM

434 posts, read 3,014,886 times
No offense, but have you ever driven across the state? I have driven cross country many, many times and Nebraska is about the worst state in the country to drive through. It's cold and windy in the winter and hot and humid in the summer. To give Nebraska credit, the people that I have met from Nebraska seem to be some of the nicest, down to earth people in the country.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:57 AM

Yeah, I don't know about the worst...I think Kansas and Oklahoma give it a run for it's money, but yeah it is very boring.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:50 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,751,314 times
First, based on your opinion of Nebraska I'm guessing you're driving right now I-80, which, I agree is a horrible drive. One of the reasons that outsiders think Nebraska is so ugly is because of that drive. The problem is all of the things that would constitute tourist attractions are, for the most part, hours off of I-80. Have you ever driven through the sandhills or been through the Niobrara river valley? Basically, everything worth seeing is a few hours north of I-80, so anyone passing through thinks Nebraska is a flat desolate state. Well, they're driving down a the platte river valley, and the civil engineers who routed I-80 chose it that way because of the "flatness".

That said, its still a tough pull compared to the Rocky Mountains, The Blackhills, and Yellowstone. We could do better, for sure, but ultimately we'll be 4th fiddle to those three..

Old 10-22-2007, 12:10 PM

177 posts, read 408,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
who wants to travel hundreds of miles to see sandhills and a crane?
I guess I'm one of those oddballs who would travel a long distance to see these things.

I have been through Nebraska two times in the last 3 years: One time straight across I-80 and most recently zig-zagging from Omaha to Lincoln to Pioneer Village to the Sand Hills and to Northwest Nebraska before exiting into the SD Black Hills. I had high expectations for the Sandhills to be unique simply because the area appeared so remote looking on a map. The area truly surpassed my expectations. I was completely in awe of the beauty and very impressed with the friendliness of the people in that area.

I agree that most travelers who see Nebraska are unfortunate to only view I-80, and they will base many of their opinions on this. It would be great if advertising could be expanded within your state. Between all the things to do in Omaha and the more scenic areas of the state, I think many people would be very pleasantly surprised with what you have to offer. I know I was .

Old 10-22-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geog-fanatic View Post
I guess I'm one of those oddballs who would travel a long distance to see these things.

I have been through Nebraska two times in the last 3 years: One time straight across I-80 and most recently zig-zagging from Omaha to Lincoln to Pioneer Village to the Sand Hills and to Northwest Nebraska before exiting into the SD Black Hills. I had high expectations for the Sandhills to be unique simply because the area appeared so remote looking on a map. The area truly surpassed my expectations. I was completely in awe of the beauty and very impressed with the friendliness of the people in that area.

I agree that most travelers who see Nebraska are unfortunate to only view I-80, and they will base many of their opinions on this. It would be great if advertising could be expanded within your state. Between all the things to do in Omaha and the more scenic areas of the state, I think many people would be very pleasantly surprised with what you have to offer. I know I was .
Yeah I agree with you. I just think most people don't consider Nebraska because they can get bigger and better right next door in the Rocky Mountain States and Black Hills of SD.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:41 PM

1,821 posts, read 4,796,386 times
I agree that you have to get off I-80 to see Nebraska. The fact is most people do travel I-80 and I think the arch and Mahoney Park areas are really under used. If we could just get people to stay for a day! I hope that when the new exit is built in Kearney they really capitalize on it. I also heard rumors long ago of an amusement park near Mahoney, which would have been great. To think how many people from this state go to Adventureland in Des Moines and Worlds of Fun in KC. That would have a least pulled in more of the family vacation type crowd. I do think we have lots of hidden gems that people enjoy and agri-tourism seems to be on the rise.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:54 PM

2,203 posts, read 8,693,412 times
People from Colorado flock to Lake McConnaughy because there isn't any lake close to that in Colorado. Where else can you find over 75 miles of shoreline with sandy beaches? You can walk out in those bays til you're up to your neck in the water and can still see the sandy bottom because the water is so clear. There's also a lot of wildlife and beautiful bluffs and spring wildflowers in the sandhills of western Nebraska. Plus . . . there's NO people. You can drive for hours on backroads through the sandhills and not meet another car. If all you've ever experienced is fighting truck traffic on I-80, then maybe taking a few backroads and stopping at some mom & pop cafes along the way might give you a whole other perspective about Nebraska.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
People from Colorado flock to Lake McConnaughy because there isn't any lake close to that in Colorado. Where else can you find over 75 miles of shoreline with sandy beaches? You can walk out in those bays til you're up to your neck in the water and can still see the sandy bottom because the water is so clear. There's also a lot of wildlife and beautiful bluffs and spring wildflowers in the sandhills of western Nebraska. Plus . . . there's NO people. You can drive for hours on backroads through the sandhills and not meet another car. If all you've ever experienced is fighting truck traffic on I-80, then maybe taking a few backroads and stopping at some mom & pop cafes along the way might give you a whole other perspective about Nebraska.
Lake McConahay is over half dried up I believe. Houses are over 200ft from the shoreline now and very few places accessible for loading boats.
So....it's probably closer to 30-40 Miles of shoreline if it originally had 75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska