Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 03:34 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
Tell you about Nebraska? I'll tell you about Nebraska: I think people need to be a bit more real about the choices Nebraska's Unicameral made this session. Nebraska is becoming a Bottom 10 state, not just because LGBT issues were voted down, but also rejected were Medicaid Expansion, Minimum Wage increase, and Second parent adoption to name a few. And Nebraska's largest city was recently named the most dangerous city for our nation's African Americans. Nebraska is the third worst state for taxpayers according to WalletHub. Republicans in control have done nothing to expand our revenue base to help ease the tax burden on the middle and lower class, but they claim to be about less taxes. What a lie. Nebraska is making itself unlivable. It is time the nation hear more about it than ever. Sure Omaha and Nebraska will make some top list somewhere, but do the criteria even mention the negative? Do the criteria even matter to minorities? NOPE! Of course not, even the progressive elite likes to brush the bad stuff under the rug. The top lists only apply to the straight, white, affluent Christian demographic, everyone else can suck it in this state. Just another reason to leave this state in droves. Let the GOP rule here. Its their kingdom. They poisoned it. #NoNebraska
https://www.facebook.com/NoNebraska

I'm sorry that you are upset.. but I can help clear up some things in your post.

1. Taxes -> per capita, we hover around average for taxes and that is about to be less than average every year. $400 million was cut and a big focus is going to be made next year for even more.

2. Medicaid expansion -> I do not disagree with you on this. It is a travesty that our state is playing hardball on this one.. However, expansion is very close to passing and nearly did this year. I expect this to pass next year.

3. Omaha is gay friendly, the state is not so much. I agree with you on this too. The state is slowing losing conservative legislature representatives as the metro areas grow and the rural areas shrink. You can see they are threatened when they meanered the 2nd district to attempt to dilute the votes.. Sure, they have an argument that it was legal, and it was.. but what they did was not in good spirit.

4. Minorities - The city of Omaha has been trying to get jobs up there. You have to consider the costs for companies, SurfOmaha... North Omaha has by far the highest homicide rates and crime overall. You cannot just expect a business that has to compete with other businesses to expand there with the big risks involved... I think you are being a little unrealistic here... And the black on black crime.. well, we have programs, we are trying to get jobs up there... what else can we do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 12:26 PM

84 posts, read 123,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
She moved away a few years ago and has had this disturbing obsession with omaha ever since. It is an obsession as she just can't stop looking back. She has this crazy victim mentality that allows her to self-justify her constant and persistent posting with an impending disaster mentality of her life here. She feels justified to continually obsess about us as a place and people. It is sad, disturbing and borderline personality in my opinion.
Sounds about right.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:27 PM

107 posts, read 122,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtaildog View Post
I can't provide recommendations as to where any of the posters asking for help should live but I did want to convey my thoughts for the Nebraskans that I know best and granted it is a small sample size but understand that I don't live in Nebraska...never have...no family there. I do go to the Sandhills every year for about a month. When I was 30 years old, I had the need to reroute a western road trip across Hyw 20 in northern nebraska. I'd never seen the Sandhills, didn't even know that was what they were called at the time, except the road signs kept using the word. I'd never seen anything so beautiful in all my life. I wrote the Sandhill Cattle Association a note indicating I would like to visit a working ranch for several weeks and received a call from a ranching family in the Bassett, NE area. I"ve been going for nearly 10 years and they are, without a doubt, some of the nicest people on earth. As with any area, you must have sincere respect for the way people live. In the sandhills, if you don't have respect for grass, water, cows, and calves...you won't be warmly welcomed. You also can't be allergic to work...these folks are some of hardest working folks I know with long days of haying, calving, and fencing.

As a southerner, I found the people in the Sandhills to be "southern-like" which isn't that surprising since the area was settled, in large part, by Texans that drove cattle north for the grazing months. When I was invited over for "supper", I knew these were my kind of people.

Some people go to exotic beaches, European villas, etc.....I go to the Sandhills and listen to the wind, bawling calves, and coyotes....it seems to put life back in order for me.
I agree. Since I was born in Western Nebr, my whole family were farmers and one of my uncles rented land there. The National Geographic had an article on the Sand Hills many years ago. I would say that if you need some solace, that's one place to consider.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Small towns ARE clique-ish. That's true. Look at it from the local's viewpoint:
Their entire lives, people have been leaving their community. The rural Plains hit their high point, population-wise, in the 30s and they've been shrinking ever since. It's called out-migration. It's no one's fault, really.
But, consequently, unless you're physically tied to a place via family, or your farm, or something along those lines, there's a high liklihood you'll leave in the next few years. Why get too close to someone who's just going to leave? And it's been that way since grade school!

However, once you've been in the community for a few years and are looking like you might stay (you're on the Fair board, a Sunday School teacher, started that new coffee shop at the top end of Main, etc) people really start warming up.
(Though I think someone like psulions2007 might be one of those people who isn't happy anywhere... )
It's human nature. Any time a "stranger" moves into a small town, it takes a while for folks to warm up to you. That just makes sense. Why trust a stranger, someone you've never known. Once you establish yourself in the community, then you start to gain acceptance over time. I believe you'll find that in many, if not most, smaller towns. I don't see a problem with that. It's hard for someone who may have never lived outside a big city, where often neighbours hardly know each other, to understand that concept.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
It has been my experience that most people that complain of being bored lack any imagination and expect others to entertain them.

GL2
Well, if you looking for a college to spend a lot of time partying, Nebraska is probably not the place to go. Conversely, if you go to get a good education, then it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska