U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 02:57 PM

11 posts, read 37,923 times

Advertisements

Hello
My hubby and I are looking for a new place to start over again with our family. One place that we read about and has picqued our interest is Nebraska. My husband and I are mid 30's, born and raised in RURAL upstate NY. We have 3 school age kids. We own a small excavation and trucking company. Hubby likes to do local runs, doesn't mind being gone a few days, but doesn't want to do OTR trucking. I am an el. ed. teacher with a Master's degree. We love the physical features where we currently live, rolling hills, 4 distinct seasons, 20 minutes drive to a town of 10,000 for grocery shopping, 1 hour drive to a larger city (100,000) for more exciting stuff. We have 20 acres where we try to be less dependent; we have a garden, a few horses for pleasure, a few beefers, goats, chickens, and what family is complete without a loyal dog?
So, what is the problem? The State of New York. 1) We are gun owners and NYS is not overly fond of that. 2)The taxes and regulations, especially for small business and truck owner/operators is strangling us. My husband works 80+ hours a week and we are barely making it. We want to see our business grow, so we may have something for our children if they wish as they get older. Now, please don't think just because you see "NY" you think high cost of living. In our area, it isn't bad. It's just that the state takes so much out of us. We are the the type of people who try to teach our children that if you work hard, you can achieve. Anyway, I do not want to get off on a political tangent. We like rural, but want to give our kids the chance for, well, whatever they want. I don't want them to be scared to go to a big city and become their own person.
We have traveled the East coast extensively, but that is it. What advice/direction can you give? In a nut shell: 10+ acres, we like seclusion, but we love friendly neighbors. Obviously, a few animals and good soil are important. Our kids are involved in 4H, YMCA, etc. Good schools are a must. A small city within 30 minutes, but no closer than 60 minutes to a large city. Our budget for a new place will not exceed 250K.
We are planning to drive from NY to Nebraska in the beginning of April to scope things out if the area looks like it has potential for our wants and needs. We are currently researching small business taxes, laws, regulations, etc. We, of course, will be looking at schools. We are absolutely fine with renting short term, preferably a house, at least 3 bedrooms, until we can establish ourselves again. Is it safe to assume 1000-1200 a month will get us something halfway decent. Our big thing is, we are not town people. We like our elbow space. We need acres, not a fraction of an acre.
Has there been mass teacher layoffs? Is there a lot of hauling of bulk commodities (like in a dump trailer)? What are some GOOD, SMALL school districts in an area that has some hills and trees? How are activities for children, (4H, YMCA, etc)? Land and school taxes? State and local taxes?
What areas should we investigate? Would a small trucking and possibly excavation business be welcomed, or would we be run out of town? Would there be opportunity for growth if we work hard enough (assuming there isn't major economic recessions)? Do a lot of recent graduates leave the area after graduation or stay? Are there job opportunities, specifically in education or agricultural outreach programs? Again, thank you for your time in advance. If I need to be more specific is any areas, please let me know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 03:38 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,665,540 times
You're asking a really open-ended question about a large state. Your answers are going to vary widely.
And what do you consider a small city vs. large? For me, Lincoln (250K+) is a large city and McCook (8K) a small one...

Old 02-10-2013, 06:29 PM

19,943 posts, read 14,782,709 times
I'm from Omaha....a population of about 600k. It is a decent-sized, fairly modern city. Recently, I've moved to a small town of 60 people in south central, NE. It's a whole different world out here. It's like Mayberry....everyone knows everyone and nobody locks their doors.

It really depends on the area.

Last edited by Vizio; 02-10-2013 at 06:40 PM..

Old 02-10-2013, 08:36 PM

Thank you for some narrowed focus. A large city would be anything over 100,000. I consider small less than 10,000. I like Mayberry. I had conversed with a resident of Cherry County some time ago, and it sounded wonderful.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:35 PM

19,943 posts, read 14,782,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithpartyof5 View Post
Thank you for some narrowed focus. A large city would be anything over 100,000. I consider small less than 10,000. I like Mayberry. I had conversed with a resident of Cherry County some time ago, and it sounded wonderful.
Cherry County is a lot of ranchland, from what I understand. It's very sparse. There is also a big difference in the type of land you'll see there, compared to where we live....in South Central NE. We have quite a bit of farmland.

Not sure how easy it is to find land to buy in either area.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:56 PM

125 posts, read 128,205 times
don't know a whole heck of a lot about either of these, but check out and get people to tell you about blair, plattsmouth, wahoo, beatrice, and maybe fremont. small, but within an hours' drive of either (or both, in the case of wahoo and possibly fremont) major cities

Old 02-11-2013, 03:20 PM

68 posts, read 210,577 times
Only 2 cities in Nebraska, even qualify for your large city, Lincoln and Omaha. So you really have a lot to choose from, I would look around Seward or Crete.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:33 PM

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Cherry County is a lot of ranchland, from what I understand. It's very sparse. There is also a big difference in the type of land you'll see there, compared to where we live....in South Central NE. We have quite a bit of farmland.
Farmland....that sounds what we are looking for. Any counties/towns to look at or avoid? About about schools?
Also, can you give me an idea about taxes? From what I have read, income tax varies between 2 and 6%. How about land and school taxes?

Old 02-11-2013, 10:32 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,665,540 times
If you need to be within an hour of a major city, you need to be in the southeast corner.

Cherry county is out, right off the top.
And, though I've lived in almost every part of Nebraska, the southeast corner is the part that I don't know.
WAY too many people for this girl. Though I loved living in Cherry co. One hundred miles to a WalMart, 150 to a small city and 250-300 to a "larger" one. But then, we ranch for a living.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:15 AM

25 posts, read 129,826 times
Default I wouldn't recommend it

You would be on your own here at the mercy of locals. Not a good idea. Nebraskans are VERY cliquey and can be unbelievably rude, mean, and hostile to outsiders. If you moved to Omaha or Lincoln (only decent sized towns in this state), you might be ok. Not sure. But I would suggest that you RUN from considering any other towns here. You'll be too vulnerable and, trust me, there are tons of vultures here... especially towards outsiders (no matter how friendly they may appear at first).

Nebraska is like a big family. Locals first. Other Nebraskans next. Outsiders, never. From what I saw and experienced, you will always be considered and treated like an outsider (and someone to take advantage of without repercussions). And it only takes one local to not like you for ANY reason to cause you a whole lot of trouble. (It could be a potential business competitor spreading rumors about you and your family that could be total lies, but will be believed and spread like wildfire.). The Nebraskan loves to gossip. Sure we all like to hear juicy tidbits here and there, but these guys take it to a whole new level. They've made it an art form. They live, eat, and breathe gossip - and as the new people, you'll be the tasty little morsel they can't get enough of. Ok if someone doesn't dislike you for some reason, then you'll be a never-ending meal for their gossiping pleasure.

Anyway, I saw outsiders lured to a small town I was in to buy or open businesses, but then locals didn't support them. (They will support the local who is born and raised there instead.) I've seen this happen more than once. Not a bad strategy considering when the outsider's business eventually folds, a local can snap it up cheap. I can't say 100% for sure that that was the original intention, but given many of these people's nasty and greedy natures, it sure seems feasible to me. Consider also that times are tough for everyone, so really not a good time to expect close-knit groups of people to give you their business over friends and family (no matter what they tell you in order for you to buy property, equipment, etc.).

Just saying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska