Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 12:29 PM

3 posts, read 10,689 times

Advertisements

Omaha versus Lincoln and everything in between -- for a NYr hoping to fit in

Ok, my husband is -seriously- considering a job move from LI, NY to Lincoln, NE.

The move in itself doesn't bother me -- I've lived in the Appalachian region of NC and in DC and was happy in both, although I grew up in NY. I worry about fitting in and finding a good niche.

I've been looking at homes in Lincoln and Omaha, as well as towns in between -- but I don't know how out of the loop I'd be if I moved to, say, Ashland. To be 'in the loop' on LI 15-20 minutes is the average travel distance and in NC 30-45 minutes was the average and DC, well, if you couldn't get there via Metro, you often did not get there.

What's it like in the Lincoln/Omaha corridor?

*Can you live in a town midway and not have to drive 20 minutes just to get to the highway?
*Where are the best coffee/tea shops?
*Any health food stores?
*Local cafes?
*Local book stores?
*What about the libraries -- do people under 50 frequent them?
*Is my NYr past going to be an issue? (like it was in NC)
*What about my 'liberal tendencies'?
*Is there a call for alternative/health food cooks/bakers?
*How difficult is it to get into the horse boarding business?
*Are there social organizations/clubs/meeting places -- for those under 40 -- but that still include 'old-fashioned crafts' like quilting, knitting, etc.?
*What's at the farmers market, (year round?) -- just food, (like ours in the summer) or food and crafts, etc. (like in NC).
*What about couples without kids -- weird or ok?
*Is it possible to avoid ever shopping at WalMart or Kmart?
*Where are good parks with rivers/streams/creeks/lakes?

So many questions and hopefully some of you will have some answers to easy my anxious NY mind.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,451 times
That is quite a move, for certain.

I moved here (to Lincoln) about six years ago. It was a bit of a culture shock after living most of my life on the east coast.

However, after some adjustment, it all works out. You adjust and realize that people are people, and after you get into a routine with your day-to-day "stuff", it doesn't matter whether it is Nebraska or New York -- as long as you have an open mind.

I lived in North Carolina for several years, and I can say that your New York background will probably be less of a problem here than it was there. There is just less baggage out here. The important thing is being humble about it (if that is the right word). Nebraskans don't care what you are as much as they care about your actions, in my experience.

In terms of being between Lincoln and Omaha, lots of people have that dilemma. Personally, I think you have to pick mostly one direction. Squarely in the middle is pretty challenging in terms of amenities. You can choose far west Omaha or far east Lincoln (even Waverly) and have easier access to both cities. If you pick a place in the middle, you will constantly be driving back and forth for access to entertainment, shopping, etc., and I think you will encounter more challenges with adaptation. Both Lincoln and Omaha (with the surrounding cities like Gretna and Waverly) are used to "outsiders" )

I can speak to some of your questions (mainly about Lincoln):
- There are towns right on the interstate in between, but, like I said, they are small.
- Lincoln has multiple, possibly too many, local and chain (you know who) coffee and tea shops. Small towns...not so much. They are concentrated downtown and around the colleges, but there are some on the outskirts.
- There are a couple of health food stores in Lincoln, including a co-op. They are scattered across town. Obviously we are a car-centered community.
- There are also a couple of local book stores, including a couple of used book stores and religiously based stores, if you are so inclined. Some downtown.
- Libraries aren't the most hopping place in town, but people under 50 certainly use them. I do. Kids do. I actually rarely see older people there, come to think of it.
- Having liberal tendencies is an interesting question. Clearly Nebraska is a red state, but there is a definite concentration of blue people in Lincoln (and I am assuming Omaha). The university brings this out. I have never had a problem finding people like me (fellow lib) and never had a problem with the general political culture of the area. You sort of have to be content to cast a pointless vote in some races, but we can dream!
- I have no idea! :O)
- Again, no idea.
- Another thing that I have no idea about.
- There is a farmer's market here from May-October -- food and crafts. Omaha has one as well.
- You will be outnumbered by not having kids, but it is not overly weird. We don't have them, and people ask about it sometimes but don't make us feel strange about it.
- Shopping at WM/KM? ENTIRELY POSSIBLE. Lots of people do shop there, as they do everywhere, but it is possible to avoid. One part of that is easy since we don't have a K-Mart in either Lincoln or Omaha. :P

Hopefully that helps some. The only thing I knew about Nebraska when I came here was that is was one of the square ones in the middle. Everything worked out fine!

Old 10-26-2007, 02:25 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,966 times
Any of the towns between on Hwy 6 are also minutes from the interstate, which they are currently widening which kinda of affects travel times. From edge or Lincoln to edge of Omaha does not take long, 45 min. at the most, of course more time to get where you are going. You will like Mahoney Park in between the cities a great area and Branched Oak lake northwest of Lincoln is popular, several other good park between the cities. I don't know about horse boarding, I knew a guy who did horse shoes and did well in the Omaha area. About your stores I will leave that to someone who has lived in Lincoln, we usually just shop malls and big box when we are in Lincoln. I think Nebraskan's are relatively kind to whoever, just don't be suprised when strangers just strike up a conversation with you.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:18 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
i don't know a whole lot about the entire Omahanlincoln area (it's all one word for those of us in western nebraska. lol)

However this:
Quote:
I can say is probably fairly easy. Nebraska has very loose regulations so far as most ag. enterprises go. (which this would be considered) Actual customers, I can't say, but the biz itself will be fairly uncomplicated.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:13 AM

3 posts, read 10,689 times
Default This helps

Sometimes its difficult to prepare for this move since I'm not the one with job prospect. Since there are a variety of things to do it'll just be a matter of exploration. Maybe rent a few months while searching for a house instead of trying to do it all at once. Thanks for the help so far!

Old 11-12-2007, 09:06 AM

585 posts, read 2,223,294 times
Living in Omaha-Lincoln will be somewhat similar to living in Upstate NY. However, the Italian food will be more bland and the Mexican food should be spicier. There will be less African Americans and more Hispanics. You might miss the diversity of the many ethnic backgrounds back east. Of course, there will no forests and less lakes, rivers, and streams than what you might be used to.

Just make sure you loose that LI accent and hang a Husker flag out every weekend and you'll be okay

Old 11-12-2007, 09:40 AM

884 posts, read 1,034,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Eggplant View Post
Omaha versus Lincoln and everything in between -- for a NYr hoping to fit in

Ok, my husband is -seriously- considering a job move from LI, NY to Lincoln, NE.

The move in itself doesn't bother me -- I've lived in the Appalachian region of NC and in DC and was happy in both, although I grew up in NY. I worry about fitting in and finding a good niche.

I've been looking at homes in Lincoln and Omaha, as well as towns in between -- but I don't know how out of the loop I'd be if I moved to, say, Ashland. To be 'in the loop' on LI 15-20 minutes is the average travel distance and in NC 30-45 minutes was the average and DC, well, if you couldn't get there via Metro, you often did not get there.

What's it like in the Lincoln/Omaha corridor?

*Can you live in a town midway and not have to drive 20 minutes just to get to the highway?
*Where are the best coffee/tea shops?
*Any health food stores?
*Local cafes?
*Local book stores?
*What about the libraries -- do people under 50 frequent them?
*Is my NYr past going to be an issue? (like it was in NC)
*What about my 'liberal tendencies'?
*Is there a call for alternative/health food cooks/bakers?
*Are there social organizations/clubs/meeting places -- for those under 40 -- but that still include 'old-fashioned crafts' like quilting, knitting, etc.?
*What's at the farmers market, (year round?) -- just food, (like ours in the summer) or food and crafts, etc. (like in NC).
*What about couples without kids -- weird or ok?
*Is it possible to avoid ever shopping at WalMart or Kmart?
*Where are good parks with rivers/streams/creeks/lakes?

So many questions and hopefully some of you will have some answers to easy my anxious NY mind.

THANKS!
Everything you mentioned can be found in Omaha. The nature of Omaha's local economy has brought transplants from all around the country the last 15 years and there is no pressure to fit in. There are plenty of specialty stores, restaurants, ect.

There is also a good mix of liberal/conservative attitudes. If fact, the most popular Omaha morning show is hosted by 2 die hard liberals.

All the specialty stores can be found from downtown Omaha all the way out to West Omaha. Everything is kind of spread out and it is just a matter of finding it. Don't worry about the accent, the owner of the company I work for is from LI and his accent is very thick and he is proud of it.

Check with local real estate agencies and they will find large acreages between Omaha and Lincoln for you. I'm sure there are many.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:41 AM

884 posts, read 1,034,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblebelly View Post
Living in Omaha-Lincoln will be somewhat similar to living in Upstate NY. However, the Italian food will be more bland and the Mexican food should be spicier. There will be less African Americans and more Hispanics. You might miss the diversity of the many ethnic backgrounds back east. Of course, there will no forests and less lakes, rivers, and streams than what you might be used to.

Just make sure you loose that LI accent and hang a Husker flag out every weekend and you'll be okay
As for the Husker flag...
Lincoln, yes hang a flag if you are trying to fit in.
Omaha, doesn't matter, I know more people that hate the huskers rather than like them.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:54 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,555,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
If fact, the most popular Omaha morning show is hosted by 2 die hard liberals. .
KFAB - liberal? Oh, you meant the other most popular morning show...

Old 11-12-2007, 08:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
As for the Husker flag...
Lincoln, yes hang a flag if you are trying to fit in.
Omaha, doesn't matter, I know more people that hate the huskers rather than like them.
You wouldn't be able to tell that from being there over Thanksgiving (any year) when Nebraska is playing CU. The World-Herald devotes a huge amount of print to this game, both on the sports pages and elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska