U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 12:16 PM

292 posts, read 860,482 times

Advertisements

Well said Myst!
I grew up in Columbus and to me Norfolk is just a bigger version! And your right! There are alot of cows around! You will even find them in gift shops etc as cookie jars and what have you! I don't mind the lower pay scales because the cost of living is basically lower here then other places as well! I prefer the laid back living then wads of money in my pocket.
Norfolk is also a good place to shop if you like healthy living! Theres a wonderful health food store and Hyvee has lots of food geared for us healthy eaters!
I have recently begun to even attend a church in Norfolk and I have to say I LOVE IT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 11:48 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,474,346 times
Norfolk is a great town.

Been there a whole bunch of times. Norfolk has IMO the nicest people in the state

BTW Norfolk several radio stations such as

KNEN 94.7 FM and KEXL 106.7 FM (which is like 98.5 and 104.5 in Omaha)

WJAG 780 AM (which airs Glenn Beck and Dave Ramsey and Michael Medved and NBC's Meet the Press

you can also get stations from Yankton SD (570 am)

Columbus (93.5 fm) and West Point (840 am) and Wayne Nebraska (1590 am)
in the Norfolk area

Old 05-13-2007, 03:02 AM

25 posts, read 79,607 times
Default For Myst: The NorfoRk thing. lol

HI there.

My family and I are moving to Wynot, and I saw your post: WHY OH WHY is Norfolk NOT pronounced like the one in Virginia? Where does that R come from?! lol

Old 05-21-2007, 01:15 PM

10 posts, read 45,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruralgalnebraska View Post
Well said Myst!
I grew up in Columbus and to me Norfolk is just a bigger version! And your right! There are alot of cows around! You will even find them in gift shops etc as cookie jars and what have you! I don't mind the lower pay scales because the cost of living is basically lower here then other places as well! I prefer the laid back living then wads of money in my pocket.
Norfolk is also a good place to shop if you like healthy living! Theres a wonderful health food store and Hyvee has lots of food geared for us healthy eaters!
I have recently begun to even attend a church in Norfolk and I have to say I LOVE IT!
Thanks Ruralgal! Ahhhhh yes, it's true, Columbus is very similar to Norfolk. Been there a couple of times, and if I wanted to move somewhere else, (which I don't! lol) I'd move there. Ya know, I don't mind the lower pay scales either. Cuz, to me, it's a good trade-off for laid-back kind of living here, where it seems like the whole town is family. It's a good feeling, and I've only lived here 6 years. HyVee is wonderful! I do most of my shopping there, my bank is there, and the pharmacy too! lol.. The pharmacy delivers, one day I was out of heart meds (not sure HOW I let that happen!) and it was near closing hours. The pharmacist herself delivered them! I love it here.

Myst

Old 05-21-2007, 01:21 PM

10 posts, read 45,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux Flay View Post
HI there.

My family and I are moving to Wynot, and I saw your post: WHY OH WHY is Norfolk NOT pronounced like the one in Virginia? Where does that R come from?! lol
LOL!! Ok, here's what happened...

The name "Norfolk" is traditionally pronounced "Norfork" by Nebraskans. When the city was incorporated (as a village) in 1881, it was named after the "North Fork" tributary of the Elkhorn River on which it lies, but abbreviated as "Norfork". The United States Postal Service assumed that "Norfork" was a mistake and changed the name to "Norfolk". This became the official spelling, but the local pronunciation did not change.

Myst

Old 05-22-2007, 03:46 AM

25 posts, read 79,607 times
Default Thanks Myst

And WOW I'm impressed!

I'll be pressing you for more local history after we get there. lol

SEVEN MORE DAYS!

Old 07-06-2007, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 7,076 times
we want to move to the norfolk area also, i first need to find a job there. my husband already has one. I mostly do data entry. i have also worked in nursing home as activity director. dont require big wages but do require insurance. my husband simply loves norfolk. i feel it is just the right size. not too big, not too small, but with some of the conveniences of a big city. any suggestions about jobs, i have already applied at advanced services and staffco.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:30 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 3,676,873 times
Thanx Myst! I've always wondered why we all pronounced it Norfork.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:52 PM

12 posts, read 44,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosnebbear View Post
Norfolk is where Johnny Carson came from. It is a big city for Nebraska with a population of about 15,000 to 20,000. They have a large Hispanic population due to the meat packing plant that was there. I think that it closed. They had a bank robbery a few years ago where five people were killed. This was done by some Hispanics which were here illegally. They did not get any money just came into the bank and started killing people. It is a nice town and just like most towns outside of Lincoln and Omaha the people are very nice and friendly. The schools there are excellent. It is nice town to live in.
They were NOT here illegally! Where DO you get your info???

Old 09-24-2007, 03:36 AM

482 posts, read 2,040,015 times
No one has come forward with any thing about where these individuals came from. No one seems to care. The only thing that is out there is that they came from either Madison or Norfolk. That they just appeared several years ago and attended school in Madison. None of them finished school. If they were from Nebraska or even anyother state then they would have understood American English. They did not as they had to have a Spanish speaking court interpreter recited each charge against them.

Here is the story about their first day in court that states everything that I have said here for anyone to read for themselves.

Four suspects in Norfolk bank robbery appear in court

We do have a major problem with illegals in American. Many of them are criminals, many are known gang members, many are here to try to make a better life for themselves.

The bottom line here is this if you can prove to me that they are legal American residents then do so please as no one else is giving out the proof.

Five people were killed and one Nebraska State Trooper killed himself, because he felt responsible. All of these lives lost are not acceptable to me as a Police Officer. The reported 12 million illegals in America is also not acceptable to me either. If they want a better life here in America come make one, but do so legally. Cross the border legally, learn our language which is American English. Also you all need to read the Nebraska State Constitution look up what our offical language is in the State of Nebraska. This has not been changed.

You all can PM me if you like and I will exchange emails in private.

ALso this has gotten off topic as the forum is about what Norfolk is like. Norfolk is a nice city where someone can raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska