U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 04:07 PM

12 posts, read 44,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Of course there's nice parts. The Skyview area, for example, has *always* been a nice part of town. Every city has their "Nob Hill".
But the seedy areas seem to be spreading. Like I said, I've watched Norfolk for 30 years. The east end of town, for example, used to be a perfectly nice part of town. And now it looks like a dump! Just my opinion, but no, I wouldn't want to live directly in Norfolk.

Personally, given my choice, I'd pick Pilger.
But there's parts in eastern Norfolk that's nice too. Many nice subdivisions out that way. Also, when I referred to west Norfolk, I wasn't really talking about Skyview Lake, although those are nice neighborhoods too, I was talking more West from 25th out to 40th street. THOSE are the Nob Hill neighborhoods of Norfolk...like Golf View Drive, and the Berry streets (Gingerberry, Blackberry, Mulberry, Berry...etc.) and many more. I actually want to build a street out there named Dingleberry!! LOL- JOKE! Not to offend anyone!
I'm right along with you Fred, as I've watched Norfolk for 35! Man has it changed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 02:48 PM

218 posts, read 652,932 times
Default Norfolk, Johnny Carson & my MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosnebbear View Post
Norfolk is where Johnny Carson came from. It is a big city for Nebraska with a population of about 15,000 to 20,000. They have a large Hispanic population due to the meat packing plant that was there. I think that it closed. They had a bank robbery a few years ago where five people were killed. This was done by some Hispanics which were here illegally. They did not get any money just came into the bank and started killing people. It is a nice town and just like most towns outside of Lincoln and Omaha the people are very nice and friendly. The schools there are excellent. It is nice town to live in.
I'm from Norfolk, born there in 1968 family moved out to California in around 1969. I've always heard great stories of it from my older brothers & sisters I have 15 of them, (yes 15) I'm the youngest. My mom went to high school with Johnny, (Or she would have me say that they attended the same high school) my dad always jokes "they dated in high school", I'm told Norfolk has hail storms the size of golf balls that (by the way) came through our roof. Tornados. I'll visit one day.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:53 AM

11 posts, read 43,006 times
You might want to check out this website:
norfolkarea.org
Lots of useful information.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:03 PM

29 posts, read 119,215 times
Default Us Bank Murders

Sir,

I stumbled on to your post about the men involved in the bank shootings being illegals. I don't know why this got under my skin so bad, but it did. I have spent most of the afternoon searching on the internet for proof. Simply because I think most of them were either born here - or were legal. Which in my mind makes no difference. They killed - that makes them bad - no matter what color they were. Also I know some very fine Hispanics, church going, loving people. So it makes no difference to me whether the were legal or not, or white or purple. But the following is what I was able to find out:

The day violence came to Highway 81 | Masthead, The | Find Articles at BNET.com

Norfolk Bank Robbery 9/28/2002 - 5 Killed, We'll Miss You All

The day violence came to Highway 81 | Masthead, The | Find Articles at BNET.com

Lincoln Star Journal
Bank killer suspects' troubled pasts
While definitive information on the purported gang ties of
Norfolk bank robbery suspects Jose Sandoval, Jorge A.
Galindo, Erick Fernando Vela and Gabriel Rodriguez is
difficult to document, local criminal histories of the four
suspects are not. -- A check with the Immigration and
Naturalization Service in Omaha confirmed that Sandoval,
was born in Spring Valley, Ill. His half-brother, Gabriel
Rodriguez, was born in an unspecified Illinois town. --
Little else is known about their family lives...

I think you should check the websites. The one site puts the victims in your mind with pictures and stories - so they are more real to you.
Also what bothers me is - and I may be wrong - but from the name you use, I am just guessing, you are a Ne. State Patrol - hence the name nebbear? Am I right - or at least a retired patrol. And I have nothing but the utmost respect for patrol, police, and veterans of service in every branch. Some of my best friends are - one way or another - associated w/ law enforcement. Even one of my relatives is in law enforcement.

But the real reason I bring this up is - if you in fact are in law enforcement - you of all people would have more resources available to you to find out if these men were legal or illegal. So why are you so adament that some one else prove to you whether they were legal. And again - I must say - what difference does it make - they were hopped up on drugs - or so I have been told and so I have read - why not worry more about where they obtained there drugs, than whether they are legal.

And another side note, why are you so concerned about Hispanics only. Norfolk suffered more from the Sudanese or Somalias - which ever they are, than I believe we have from the Hispanics. At least in equal ratio. I may be wrong, but I know I feared them much more, and I never felt I was threatened by any hispanics. Of course I tried not to have much to do with them. And I am not saying that I am racist - as one of the young men was extremely pleasant and took advantage to attend college and last I knew was attending college in Omaha to be a Dr. And he always made an effort to go out of his way to say hi, and ask my friend and I how we were doing. So I don't feel I am racist. There is good and bad in every race, creed and color.

And I have basically wasted my afternoon trying to research this when it dawned on me - I wonder if you aren't on the force yourself. And I really had things I should have been spending my time on. And I can't believe how really hard it is to find out info. At least for some one like me who is a novice on the computer.

And it still haunts me as to what difference it makes as to whether they were legal or not. The poor victims are still just as dead, and families are still without their loved ones, no matter who pulled the trigger. To me, all that matters is - that they pay for what they have done. They should have to suffer as much as the victims and their families. And as you said, they had all been arrested before - so if they were illegal - why were they not sent home after they served their time. That alone says to me they were legal. But then I am not qualified to make that judgement.

I am not sending this to cause any problems, but more to ask you why? Why is this the most important part to you?? I just don't understand?? Why not be concerned with other aspects of the whole ordeal? Why is this the only part that seems to matter to you?

Old 07-17-2009, 10:42 PM

4 posts, read 9,828 times
Thumbs up Madison or Norfolk area bound.

Since there's a 5 star Library there, the wife and I are considering retiring to either Norfolk, or Madison, Nebraska.

We have simple needs and having been through both towns recently, I find it a refreshing breath of pleasantness compared to DC, Baltimore or any other major metropolis. And, I can live on my retirement fairly easy there too.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:44 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,710,476 times
Well, I hope it works out for you.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:03 PM

49 posts, read 144,206 times
I took an online class at North East Community college in Norfolk and the people their were really great to work with.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:30 AM

4 posts, read 9,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Well, I hope it works out for you.
You bet.

Usually make our own luck where ever the wife and I go. This time around it's all going to be good.

I know because she told me so under threat of her cast iron skillet "...or else"

Old 11-30-2009, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,501 times
I am thinking of moving from San Jose, CA (only been here 4 years) to Norfolk. I was born and raised in North Dakota and miss the friendliness of friendly midwest people. Norfolk City Data is very impressive.
Is there some good waters nearby for some walleye or bass fishing?
Being retired and disabled vet, is there many good Condo of Townhomes in which to move?

Last edited by K.D.B.; 11-30-2009 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: TO clearify backround

Old 11-30-2009, 06:41 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,192,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.D.B. View Post
I am thinking of moving from San Jose, CA (only been here 4 years) to Norfolk. I was born and raised in North Dakota and miss the friendliness of friendly midwest people. Norfolk City Data is very impressive.
Is there some good waters nearby for some walleye or bass fishing?
Being retired and disabled vet, is there many good Condo of Townhomes in which to move?
There is the Lewis & Clark area near Yankton, SD - about an hour north of Norfolk.

There are other areas near Norfolk, but I don't fish, so all I can do is report secondhand information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska