U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:15 AM

9 posts, read 25,476 times

Advertisements

Yes, must be the newcomer that is screwed up. Can't possibly be the person making the false accusations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,983 times
I am looking to accept a job in Sidney NE but coming from a big city like Southern California(Los Angeles County)I am not sure what I am getting myself into. Can anyone tell me about Sidney or places around there that are good & safe for kids, schools and life.

Any help would be appreciated.[/quote]
Let me tell you something, if you move here with a negative attitude you will end up hating it and wanting to move away. I was raised here and I moved away for 10 years, I was just like any teenager from a small town couldn’t wait to leave. I did I moved and look I am back 10 years later with a family. Why? Because I felt that Sidney was a better place to raise my children rather then a big city. I wanted them to have more one on one with the teachers and actually be someone and not just a number. For me personally I don’t socialize with very many of the people in the town and the reason is because yes they get involved in everyone’s business. It’s a small town everyone knows everyone what do you expect. In order to solve the problem I keep to myself and do very little socializing with people from here. Yes I have all my old buddies but still I see them once in awhile and talk about sports and not who is doing what and what is doing what. That is an easy way to solve the problem. You have two grocery stores and a Wal-Mart and a Movie theater (they keep up for the most part) and a bowling alley several different ma and pa restaurants and fast food places. If you want to shop or hit a mall the nearest is Cheyenne Wyoming or North Platte NE or Scottsbluff NE or even Denver Colorado (only 2 -3 hours away). Really the internet will become your new best friend for shopping. I would of never of thought that but sometimes it is cheaper. Give Sidney a chance really it’s what you make of it like anywhere else. Best of luck

Old 02-17-2008, 06:17 PM

47 posts, read 206,343 times
I'm a Sidney native, and used to being asked "Where are you from?" "Sidney." "Sydney, Australia?" That's usually when I walk away. Point being, it made me laugh when this was the first post I saw when I opened up my very first forum after joining the site. Hilarious.

Anyway, the point of what I seem to be gathering from everyone, and my opinion is the same, is that you have to be ready for what you get yourself into. People are nosy. People are conservative. It's small-town, Western Nebraska. If you didn't have at least SOME idea that's how it would be before you considered the job then you're REALLY not ready for the move.

That said, the schools are good (I did just fine, anyway, as did most of my classmates that decided to leave town at some point), and they are building a new high school that should be done in the next couple years. You do get more amenities than most other towns that size due to the Cabela's tourism, but it's not big-city service and it never will be.

As far as your kids, I don't know what the schools in SoCal are like, but they will be able to pursue their interests with a great deal of community/school support. If they want to play sports, they will play. Drama, speech, etc.? They can join and participate immediately.

As far as being "in the middle of nowhere?" Yeah, I'll grant you that. But I will be moving to Boston during the summer and will probably have a commute to work of around 1.5 hours. That gets you to Cheyenne, almost to Ft. Collins, and just another hour to the major city of Denver. After you get used to not being a jaunt from the nearest shopping mall, it's not so bad.

I guess, all in all, it had it's upsides and downsides like anything. I suppose the question to ask yourself is "Am I ready to give up big-city life?" If you want night clubs, concerts, art shows, museums, etc., Sidney isn't the place. If you want a small town with plenty of opportunities for community involvement and a quiet, safe place to raise your kids, it might be worth a shot. Plenty of my friends in school were originally from big coastal cities and their families are still there today.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 06-27-2008, 03:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,882 times
hello, i would like to state my opinionon sidney. i had lived there nearly all my life.i move away and always seem to end up moving back. not that i really like it because it is fairly cheap to live there. i move back thinking i would go to college.did not happen. i moved back because i was homeless once couldn't stand it. too far from anywhere. no good fishing for 40 miles. the winters are cold summer is hot. newcomers get a cold shoulder. once you earn trust from some the right people you start to fit in. good paying jobs dont exist there. the scenery sucks FLAT!!!!! make sure you dont break any laws because once you get known on that road you are branded and they will never let you go. I was with the wrong crowd and got busted for accomplice, took me 18 months to get off of a 3 month probation sentence. they just kept giving me more" did not think i was ready to be free" P O said to judge.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:35 PM

3 posts, read 5,880 times
My husband might be taking a job at Cabella's in Sidney and will be relocating from Boston...city life to country life where I know no one..kind of scared, need to know an area to look for a home. Somewhere between Sterling CO and Sidney NE. Please help a city living Mama! I have 2 kids 2 and under...plus a dog.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:36 PM

3 posts, read 5,880 times
My husband might be taking a job at Cabella's in Sidney and will be relocating from Boston...city life to country life where I know no one..kind of scared, need to know an area to look for a home. Somewhere between Sterling CO and Sidney NE. Please help a city living Mama! I also have 2 kids 2 and under and a dog!

Old 08-08-2010, 02:03 PM

146 posts, read 267,938 times
I've been to Sidney, NE once... Oh man is that in the middle of nowhere. Almost like something from "Halloween" series, where you'll look and see Michael Myers staring at you! I swear i saw the oldest house in the US on some back road in that area...just creepy. I'd say if you are from that area, great, if not...go to Denver or some other bigger city.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:14 PM

7 posts, read 19,685 times
I wouldn't do it - we did it and didn't even make it a year ... and fyi - Cabelas is a good ole boys club .... STAY AWAY!

Old 08-24-2010, 11:39 AM

138 posts, read 218,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Not really. You just have to be more tactful when you're ridiculously outnumbered...
We lived in a Nebraska county once where I was one of seven registered Democrats.
In the entire county. Seven of us.
Even still, I didn't hesistate to stand by what I believed. I just had to be really conscientious about the opinions of others.

Small towns are like weird families. You can be accepted, but you have to realize that there are relationships and connections and beliefs you don't really understand yet. You have to move slow, otherwise people automatically assume the new guy thinks he's above it all...
True or not is irrelevant- perception is what counts.
Lol, after what you described the locals being like, there is good reason for feeling he's "above it all"...he probably is.

Let the ignorant, fearful, Fox News Palinite mouthbreathers have their little neglected patch of nowhere in the middle of nothing. Let them dip**** their way into further irrelevance away from the sensible people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska