Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 11:19 PM

172 posts, read 250,751 times

Advertisements

I've been wanting to move to someplace that has a lower cost of living & higher humidity. CO is a lovely state but this dry climate really disagrees with me. After reading about different places I kind of had my heart set on either Omaha or Lincoln.

And then....a co-worker told me about a news story about a guy in Omaha whose apt. is infested with brown recluse spiders He's caught over 40 of them on glue traps

I found a few more horror stories on the Internet, including a house in KS that was infested with over 2,000 of them.

Now, we have black widows here. But you don't hear about homes being infested with dozens or thousands of them. At least I never have, & if you have PLEASE don't tell me! I'm already so freaked out about the brown recluses I'm not sure I can move to a state that has them. I'm afraid I'd live in constant fear, not only for myself but for my pets.

To those of you who live in NE, are brown recluses a problem for you? Do you see them very often? You or your pets ever been bit? Or am I just blowing this whole thing way out of proportion??

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 10:33 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,093,156 times
Hello,

I don't live in Nebraska, but I had a mini-spider infestation. Not of the kinds you mentioned, so you can breathe easier there. But there were many black widows amngst the other seemingly harmless spiders. I never had issues with them until there were just too many, inside and out. But with one simple visit from a fumigator, the problem was solved. So, my point is, whether there are spider hot spots in Nebraska and Kansas or not, I am sure an occasional visit from a fumigator would prevent or eliminate any problem.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:34 PM

Chelito, thanks for your post! Glad you got your spider problem under control. Too many of ANY type of spider - not a good thing!

The thing is with fumigation, I'd worry about my pets coming into contact with the chemicals & being harmed, especially my little bun-bun Maybe the chemicals they use, though, are safe for pets? I'll have to look into that.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

Old 11-18-2012, 01:31 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,079,891 times
I've lived in Nebraska since I was 4...and I'm not sure I've ever seen one.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:22 PM

Really?? Whew, that's good to know!!

Thanks, both of you, for your reassurance. I don't know why I've become so obsessed with brown recluses. It's pretty stupid to let a creature the size of a quarter dictate where you're going to live

Old 11-18-2012, 03:03 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,486,368 times
[quote=BunnyBinkies;26997889

Thanks for any input![/QUOTE]

Found this article and found it interesting.

Brown Recluse Spider - 5 Lies About the Brown Recluse Spider

I live in California and have heard of a few cases here, although it may have been a "Hobo" spider that apparently gets confused for a Brown Recluse.
One was a little league coach who was bitten when getting baseball supplies out of a storage bin, and I also met a man at a concert who showed me his arm that had a big scar on it, and he said it was from a Brown Recluse.

I also read an another article that you can get sticky traps for them if your house has a lot, but doesn't recommend spraying as it will kill the other house spiders that often eat the Recluses. (Although, if my house was infested, I'd probably kennel the pets and tent bomb the whole place! LOL!)

Good luck! I understand your fears... the thought of living among big spindly legged poisonous creatures is rather off putting!

Old 11-18-2012, 04:53 PM

Thanks Podo! I read the article & yeah, it does sound like they're not nearly as big a threat as I'm making them out to be. Still, if I had a huge infestation that tent fumigation sounds like it might be the way to go! After Chelito posted the comments about fumigation, I looked it up & was relieved to read it doesn't leave residue, so it's safe to bring the pets back in after it's done

It's interesting that you mention hobo spiders. I lived in the Pacific NW for 9 years & never knew a thing about them. Yet they're just as venomous as recluses & widows. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss!

Old 11-18-2012, 06:04 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,586,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Found this article and found it interesting.

Brown Recluse Spider - 5 Lies About the Brown Recluse Spider

I live in California and have heard of a few cases here, although it may have been a "Hobo" spider that apparently gets confused for a Brown Recluse.
One was a little league coach who was bitten when getting baseball supplies out of a storage bin, and I also met a man at a concert who showed me his arm that had a big scar on it, and he said it was from a Brown Recluse.

I also read an another article that you can get sticky traps for them if your house has a lot, but doesn't recommend spraying as it will kill the other house spiders that often eat the Recluses. (Although, if my house was infested, I'd probably kennel the pets and tent bomb the whole place! LOL!)

Good luck! I understand your fears... the thought of living among big spindly legged poisonous creatures is rather off putting!
I hate spiders...

Old 11-18-2012, 09:39 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,079,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I hate spiders...
I do, too. I've seen a few spiders around the house...but never had any brown recluse issues. I think I may go get some glue traps.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:50 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,749,910 times
I live in an old trailer and had a plumber do some work under trailer. He said there were several Brown recluse spidies so he put a couple smoke bombs under trailer and walaa no more spidies!! misspelled on purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska