U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 02:11 PM

137 posts, read 570,388 times

Advertisements

Thanks for putting up the link to the Heartland Expressway. I was not aware of these congressionally designated routes, and if you search you can fnd a national map of the routes designated. You can sure see who had the political clout when congress met on this proposal...Looks like Georgia and Missouri did pretty well. Too bad congress designates something like this, and then appropriates no funds to get it done.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 09:50 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,779,239 times
We're getting into construction season! Any updates on this project?

Old 04-04-2008, 08:41 AM

1,821 posts, read 4,802,089 times
The future, as of now, for this project doesn't look very bright. The only thing you are going to see this summer, and probably summers to come is maintenece work on existing highways. Also, the only project on the 6 year plan is to build the bypass and connections to I-80 around Kimball. I would be suprised if that gets done, because Nebraska's road funding is so bleak for new projects. For example, Kearney is suppose to build a new east exit to I-80 and bypass around town, they have earmarked federal money, but Nebraska is warning that the project could get delayed because they might not have the funds to pay their portion to get the federal money. So even if they get federal money for Heartland it is no guarantee, unless they are going to pay for it all.

They have stated they want to finish the expressway system in Nebraska (connecting all population centers over 15,000 to an interstate), which would involve the Kimball bypass but not the rest of Heartland through the panhandle. Most of these projects would be in the eastern part of the state.

The legislature is trying higher fuel tax for more funding, the govenor is vetoing thank goodness. They need to come up with a better way for funding. Even maintence is going to cost more in the future, and if that starts lacking then your looking at a safety issue.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:54 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,413,638 times
South Dakota has been deferring some projects due to the unstable highway funding situation and the rising costs, weak dollar (which stinks and does not help the matter), and the tax for fuel unchanged since the early 1990s (I am sure that roadbuilding is more expensive now than then and the tax is the same: can see why that money cannot buy as much as it used to). South Dakota has been proactive in widening the Heartland Expressway and hopefully Nebraksa will come around to it (despite the funding and priority challenges).

Old 04-04-2008, 10:26 PM

1,821 posts, read 4,802,089 times
One key difference between the S.D. and Nebraska situation is that Rapid City is a large metro influence and the Black Hills are a large tourism destination. This makes it easier for S.D. to be more proactive in building the highway. Western Nebraska, especially the panhandle has never been high on the rador for projects, so eastern Nebraska, especially Lincoln and Omaha will always get higher priority because of population.

I should add that I posted about the Heartland Expressay in the Colorado forum awhile back, and they are incurring the same probems with funding and it seem like they have higher priorites with I-70 west of Denver, light rail projects, I-25 widening, etc...

Old 04-04-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post

I should add that I posted about the Heartland Expressay in the Colorado forum awhile back, and they are incurring the same probems with funding and it seem like they have higher priorites with I-70 west of Denver, light rail projects, I-25 widening, etc...
That's too bad that they chose to put off this project. It could actually be the answer they are looking for. Colorado needs a better route to Colorado Springs/Pueblo that would bypass the Denver metro entirely. The Heartland Expressway would do that.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:19 AM

I agree with DannyBanany. I go to Colorado Springs once or twice a year and often go through Denver, due to CO 71 and US 24 being inadequate in my opinion. CO 71 needs to be updated and US 24 definitely needs to be widened. If you need to pass someone on US 24, good luck. I think that having the Heartland Expressway would be beneficial for South Dakota, Nebraska, and Colorado and would be good for economic growth and improved travel in the region.

Also, the Heartland Expressway would connect with the Ports to the Plains project in Limon, which the Ports to the Plains would lead from I-70 to Amarillo and it goes down trough Lubbock and eventually leads itself down to the Rio Grande Valley.

I can foresee the project getting back on track once the funding situtaion improves and that might be a few years down the road or if the national and state governments make road funding a bigger priority and allow more funds to be used for roadbuilding (which is better for the economy than social programs-puts people to work and eventually generates additional tax revenue in the end).

Old 04-05-2008, 11:23 AM

22,309 posts, read 38,925,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
I agree with DannyBanany. I go to Colorado Springs once or twice a year and often go through Denver, due to CO 71 and US 24 being inadequate in my opinion. CO 71 needs to be updated and US 24 definitely needs to be widened. If you need to pass someone on US 24, good luck. I think that having the Heartland Expressway would be beneficial for South Dakota, Nebraska, and Colorado and would be good for economic growth and improved travel in the region.

Also, the Heartland Expressway would connect with the Ports to the Plains project in Limon, which the Ports to the Plains would lead from I-70 to Amarillo and it goes down trough Lubbock and eventually leads itself down to the Rio Grande Valley.

I can foresee the project getting back on track once the funding situtaion improves and that might be a few years down the road or if the national and state governments make road funding a bigger priority and allow more funds to be used for roadbuilding (which is better for the economy than social programs-puts people to work and eventually generates additional tax revenue in the end).
What is the Ports to the Plains project in Limon? Is that a separate highway project?

Old 04-06-2008, 12:58 AM

The Ports to the Plains project is a separate project from the Heartland Expressway, but the two will be beneficial to each other when the come to fruition. They meet each other in Limon, CO. Ports-To-Plains Trade Corridor (http://www.portstoplains.com/index.html - broken link) is a site that details the project.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
What is the Ports to the Plains project in Limon? Is that a separate highway project?
Like Chris said, it will be beneficial to the entire Western Plains. If you look at a map, you will see there is no major north-south arteries in the Western Plains. The only ones are I-25 and I-29. Both of which are 500 miles apart.
It's time for another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska