U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 03:25 PM

947 posts, read 3,246,714 times

Advertisements

I was checking out the websites for one of the local radio stations on Norfolk and happened upon the City's website at: The Official City of Norfolk Nebraska Home Page

This city song was recorded off the show "Spotlight On Norfolk" which airs Mondays at 11:15AM on WJAG 780.

I've uploaded it and reduced the bitrate a little to make it easy fordialup users:

http://www.walkerbroadcasting.com/norfolk.mp3 (broken link)
(It's 25 secondslong and encoded at 48K Mono, so it's an EASY download for dialup internet users)

I love the song... makes the town seem like a real nice place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 07:15 AM

2,585 posts, read 9,542,642 times
Hye, thanks! Nice song, now I'm wondering what my town's is - or why they don't have one.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:31 AM

137 posts, read 553,531 times
Default Wjag

Thanks for posting the song link. My grandparents lived along the Elkhorn in Ewing, and as a kid heading from Omaha to visit them, the radio would be set to WJAG. I don't recall much other than the farm reports and weather, but I remember the announcer saying... "This is WJAG - Norfolk". I hadn't thought of that station in over 40 years. I bet the songs lyrics fit Norfolk too.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:34 PM

Off Pavement:

I'm gladyou enjoyed it and it was a pleasure to be able to share it!

KEXL, 106.7 The X and WJAG NewsTalk 780 are the oldest family owned stations in the state. WJAG has alot of heritage, evidence in part by it's call letters... which begin with a W and not a K.

I love The City of Norfolk song..... I know what you read online/hear online and see in person are two completely different things, but something about thatsong makes me all warm 'n fuzzy and makes me believe it's a nice place to be.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:38 PM

137 posts, read 553,531 times
Default Call Signs...

I hadn't thought about the change from the leading letter from W to K in years either. Now I gotta check and see if WOW is still around.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:46 PM

WOW-AM, 590 in Omaha is now KXSP...Owned By Journal Broadcast Group
WOW-FM, 94.1 is now KQCH... owned by Journal Broadcast Group.

AM 590 is sports as "Big Sports 590" Big Sports 590, KXSP-AM Omaha, Nebraska > Home It has a 5000 Watt Non Directional Signal Full time, so it should be listenable for over 200 miles by day

FM 94.1 programs themselves as "Channel 94.1" Channel 94.1, all HIT music - KQCH-FM Omaha, Nebraska > Home with An All Hit Music/Top 40 format.

I don't know exactly when the call letter rule came around, but everything east of the Mississippi is W and west of the Mississippi is K, with a few exceptions in Texas and Pennsylvania. (Several radio and tv stations in Pittsburgh & Philadelphia, PA have K call letters)

But anyways, back to our regularly scheduled chat about the Norfolk, Nebraska city song...

Old 11-11-2007, 04:15 PM

In case anyone doesn't feel like downloading the Mp3, here are the lyrics to the short 25 second City Of Norfolk, Nebraska "Song"

"This is Norfolk, Nebraska...dontcha know you're welcome here, where there are no strangers in our growing town...... In this green and fertile valley of the Elkhorn River land.. it's been this way since the settlers came around"

Old 05-06-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBroadcaster2008 View Post
I was checking out the websites for one of the local radio stations on Norfolk and happened upon the City's website at: The Official City of Norfolk Nebraska Home Page

This city song was recorded off the show "Spotlight On Norfolk" which airs Mondays at 11:15AM on WJAG 780.

I've uploaded it and reduced the bitrate a little to make it easy fordialup users:

http://www.walkerbroadcasting.com/norfolk.mp3 (broken link)
(It's 25 seconds long and encoded at 80K Mono, so it's an EASY download for dialup internet users!)

I love the song... makes the town seem like a real nice place!
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to update something just in case someone came by looking for the song in the above link, it's moved.

You can find the song by going here: http://www.realradiousa.com/norfolk.mp3

(I changed domain names and host companies since the first post was made)

Old 05-07-2008, 06:42 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,415,034 times
Hey, RB - did you find a place to relocate yet?

We're moving to Cody the end of this month! <dance dance dance>

The closest radio station is in Valentine, though.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Hey, RB - did you find a place to relocate yet?

We're moving to Cody the end of this month! <dance dance dance>

The closest radio station is in Valentine, though.
Valentine, I believe you have AM 940 KVSH in Valentine and 95.5 The Twister KSDZ in Gordon.

No, I haven't found a place yet.. I will hear Friday about a job I applied for about an hour north of Grand Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or