Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 08:02 AM

23 posts, read 31,646 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I might move to Lincoln in mid-2014 for my job. I'm a 34 year old guy and my salary is about $115,000. I'll probably rent for a year or two and then look to purchase a place. I love being able to walk to shopping, restaurants, etc., but I'm not sure if that is entirely feasible. My ideal place wouldn't be loaded with college students, but as a single guy, I'm not ready for the 'burbs yet. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 12:29 PM

177 posts, read 458,241 times
There is a ton of growth going on in the Haymarket area of downtown Lincoln. With your salary, you should not have a problem finding a nice rental, as there are a number of newer options coming available in the next year. I'd recommend checking out this link to see if any of these places meet your needs:

Haymarket Housing - Historic Haymarket

Old 08-23-2013, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,312 times
Saab,

I am in the same boat as you. I am a 33 year old single professional who just accepted a job in Lincoln. I will be relocating in late September. I would love to live in a lively area walking distance from bars/restaurants and such with other young professionals, and would prefer to avoid undergraduates. The haymarket district seems pretty cool, but I worry that it may be overrun with undergrads once school is in session. Are there other good area's for younger single professionals? Any advice that you all have would be welcome!

Thanks!

Old 08-23-2013, 07:46 PM

177 posts, read 458,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by storckie View Post
Saab,

I am in the same boat as you. I am a 33 year old single professional who just accepted a job in Lincoln. I will be relocating in late September. I would love to live in a lively area walking distance from bars/restaurants and such with other young professionals, and would prefer to avoid undergraduates. The haymarket district seems pretty cool, but I worry that it may be overrun with undergrads once school is in session. Are there other good area's for younger single professionals? Any advice that you all have would be welcome!

Thanks!
Try investigating the Havelock neighborhood in Northeast Lincoln. It is more walkable than most of the suburban parts of Lincoln and not as close to the University as the Haymarket. Havelock Road retains a large portion of the original Havelock downtown with several bar and restaurant options.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,150 times
Hi-I'm in the same boat. 29yo single female moving to the area, and I'm curious about these suggestions as well. Just commenting, so I get future replies. Thanks!

Old 10-09-2013, 07:39 PM

5 posts, read 14,067 times
Downtown lincoln and the haymarket area are quite young. Of course, you'll find most of the rental properties within proximity of the university to be loaded with undergrads. Lincoln is very much a fun college town with tons of bars and restaurants to enjoy. I'm from Omaha, but I believe as you spread more to the edges of the city you will find more of the nicer homes and suburbs for families.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:07 AM

84 posts, read 138,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saab View Post
Hello All,

I might move to Lincoln in mid-2014 for my job. I'm a 34 year old guy and my salary is about $115,000. I'll probably rent for a year or two and then look to purchase a place. I love being able to walk to shopping, restaurants, etc., but I'm not sure if that is entirely feasible. My ideal place wouldn't be loaded with college students, but as a single guy, I'm not ready for the 'burbs yet. Thanks!
With that kind of money you should get something near SouthPointe (in south Lincoln). There's a lot of stores and restaurants in that area and it is in a nice, newer part of town. However, keep in mind that Lincoln is a very sprawling city, so expect to drive when you want to go out (unless you like walking several miles for an evening out).

Old 10-17-2013, 09:40 AM

42 posts, read 32,858 times
I like the Highlands area in NW Lincoln. It's only about 10 minutes from downtown, but as the person that posted above me mentioned...Lincoln is sprawled out so expect to drive unless your'e downtown.

With a salary of 115k, you'll have no difficulty finding a place.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:06 PM

76 posts, read 234,711 times
Move to the Haymarket area....you will LOVE it! Lots of new apartments and condos being built there.....along with the new arena, restaurants, bars, etc......

Old 05-24-2014, 03:06 PM

737 posts, read 1,916,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saab View Post
Hello All,

You have to remember that Lincoln, NE is a small town. Most folks on here have never lived in a big city so they have nothing to compare Lincoln too. Lincoln has no tall buildings, there is no shopping other than chain Wal-marts, Hy-Vee grocery stores and Home Depot's. You will need a car. You can drive from one end of Lincoln to the other in 5-10 minutes N, S, E, W, and end up in a corn field.

YOur best bet is to just buy a house in the south west part of town. Good resale value.

One more thing Lincoln, Ne is very cliquei.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of: