Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,220 times

Advertisements

My landlord sold the house i'm in and I want to move before my lease is up. I told my landlord that I was not going to stay in the house I'm renting from him once he sold the property before he sold the property. Wanted to know my rights as tenant in Lincoln Nebraska concerning this matter. I found out he sold the property yesterday which is great news for both of us. But he is angry because i don't want to stay.

Last edited by mkcervin; 09-08-2013 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: change title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 01:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
The first thing to do is read your lease. If the new buyer is planning to rent it out and not move in, and your lease has a clause that it can be transferred to a new owner then you are obligated to fulfill the term of the lease. If a sale is not addressed by the lease, then it would be subject to local or state laws and could end up in court.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,220 times
There is nothing that says lease is automatically transferred to new owner

Old 09-08-2013, 10:03 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Well first of all...with very few exceptions...the rental agreement transfers to the new owners. This is pretty simple contract law and (generally speaking) even a clause in the contract stating to the contrary is not enforceable unless it is written in favor of the tenant(s). This is pretty standard across the country and I'm unaware of any provision in Nebraska law that is to the contrary. With that said, you are still obligated to the new owner so unless he releases you from the contract, your only recourse would be to break the lease and deal with the potential fallout.

When you say "he" is angry about you not staying, are you referring to the new owner or the old owner? I don't understand why the old owner would care...he sold the house, after all. Can you tell us what contact you have had with the new owner and if you've spoken at all about wanting to leave the home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska