Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 08:37 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,009,478 times

Advertisements

Here was the short article I was referring to: (again take it with a grain of salt)

"According to a source with knowledge of the search, Nebraska has whittled its candidate pool to two people and is close to announcing a new coach. Speculation centers on Buffalo coach Turner Gill as the leading candidate to replace Bill Callahan. A source close to Wake Forest indicated that coach Jim Grobe interviewed with Nebraska in Atlanta on Nov. 26. The source thinks Grobe has a good shot at the job. Apparently, LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini didn't knock A.D. Tom Osborne's socks off during the interview and doesn't feel good about it. The school will also interview Brian Kelly from Cincinnati and perhaps TCU's Gary Patterson."

Here is the link:

ESPN - Rumor Central: 2007 Coaching Carousel - College Football
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 06:09 AM

884 posts, read 1,033,150 times
Turner Gill? What the hell? ESPN was right, Nebraska's coaching job has turned into a second class job if that is all we can get.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:56 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
Nebraska named Tom Osborne coach this morning. They made him interim coach so he could go out recruiting. Here is a link.

Omaha.com Sports Section

Old 11-29-2007, 09:02 AM

LOL, isn't Tommy a sly little ninja?

Old 11-29-2007, 09:24 AM

I don't think Gill is a second rate pick. I think, in the long term, he's an excellent pick. TO is going to look what's good for the program in terms of the next 10 to 15 years. Further, I think he's remarkably effective and players tend to really play for him. He's not fiery like Pelini, but neither is TO. I like Gill or Pelini, but I think if I had to choose I would take Gill.

We could definitely go out and get a bigger name, but I don't think that's necessarily what's best for the program...maybe it would be in the short term. But even in the short term look what Gill has done at Buffalo. Plus, who else better understands that it takes to be successful at NU.

Just my thoughts.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:59 AM

You know, I will take back what I said. Nebraska doesn't necessarily need the big name coach. The Husker style during TO's era didn't always rely on big name recruits so maybe that is the right course of action. I know TO means well and knows his program, however, he is the one who endorsed Peterson to Pearlman. Who knows, we'll see.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:33 AM

8 posts, read 22,967 times
Default take Bo Pellini

I currently live in the Baton Rouge area. If you remember what LSU did to all comers up till the South Carloina game, the Defence Killed everyone. It is Bo Pellini's Defence. We will get four key defencive people back for the up coming Ten game. I look to relocate to North Platte area and would love to see Bo Pellini rebuild the Huskers. Bo has been with LSU since 2000 and has helped build this power house. Here is a good one for you all... A Alum of LSU flew his personal Jet to Alabama to visit with Saban. It was reported on WAFB channel 9 here in Baton Rouge.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:57 PM

Yeah, I like Bo too, but he hasn't been with LSU since 2000. Heck, he was in Nebraska in 2003. I think this is his 2nd year at LSU, so you can't attribute LSU's recent dominance to Bo. He came in and has done well for LSU after being at Nebraska and then Oklahahoma.

That said, I do really like him and while my first choice was Gill I think Bo will be great (if all the rumors are true).

I'm guessing we'll hear something Monday morning.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:13 PM

482 posts, read 2,225,418 times
Well who ever it will be, it could not be as bad as it was under Pedersen and Callahan. Besides how would you feel to have a former coach like Coach Osborn show up at your home to talk to you about Husker football and tell you his thoughts. Coach Osborn knows what he is doing.

Matt is right Bo was only at Nebraska in 2003 the year Pedersen fired Solich. Bo ended up in Oklahoma for one year before going to LSU.

Besides he already has told his players that being the head coach at Nebraska was a dream job for him. Come on back Bo.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:42 PM

17 posts, read 68,013 times
Dare I say: who cares? Massive unemployment and small towns dying and we still scream "Huskers!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska