Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 09:17 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,779 times

Advertisements

Who do nebraskans want to be the new head coack at NU?

I hope it is NU, and not UNL, or U of N or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 03:16 AM

300 posts, read 1,179,484 times
Everyone I know calls it UNL.
Or if you are referring to the football team, as I imagine you are, the Huskers.
I like both of the two popular possiblities right now. Can't really pick which.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:35 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
Bo Pellini, Turner Gill, Frank Solich... Those are the names I keep hearing.
And yeah, it's "UN-L" since there's also a U of Neb at Omaha (UN-O) and a U of Neb at Kearney (UN-K)

Old 11-27-2007, 09:22 AM

1,181 posts, read 4,010,754 times
If you're in state you usually call it UNL, to differentiate between the Kearney and Omaha campuses. But the rest of the country refers to The University as NU or just Nebraska. UNK and UNO are pretty irrelevant on a large national scale. Every state has multiple campuses. You don't call the University of Texas at Austin "UTA".

I agree with Gill and Pelini, but no one is talking about Solich. He's not even up for consideration.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:34 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,555,537 times
Agree with mattpoulsen on all points

Old 11-27-2007, 05:24 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
Quote:
He's not even up for consideration.
LOL That's irrelevant.
The question was who do Nebraskans want. There are people who would like to see Frank back...
For that matter, in the not-so-distant-past, Dr. Tom was done with Nebraska football, too.

So far as 'NU to the rest of the country'... In light of the fact that the vast majority of this country can't even find Nebraska on a map, I'm not seeing where that's of any relevance, either.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:30 PM

For that matter, in the not-so-distant-past, Dr. Tom was done with Nebraska football, too.

LOL That's irrelvant.
Seriously...what does that have to do with anything??

Ok. You're the only Nebraskan, I've ever heard, even mention Solich in this search, so my initial contention holds...Solich is not even worth mentioning in this conversation. For the record, I liked Solich, but his time is over and anyone paying attention realizes that. The question was "who do Nebraskans" want as coach...not who you want. The two most popular candidates are Gill and Pelini. I can't even believe I'm arguing over this...

In light of the fact that the vast majority of this country can't even find Nebraska on a map,

First, the "vast majority" of the rest of the country does know how to find Nebraska on a map. Second, if you ask them what the major university in Nebraska is the two most common responses will be: "NU" or "University of Nebraska". I have worked for the university and have been all around the U.S., in an official capacity, and have not heard it called UNL by non-Nebraskans.

As far as the morons who can't point out Nebraska on a map...that still doesn't mean they haven't heard of Nebraska or NU.

And its relevant because the poster asked what the university was referred to as! I stated what it is in Nebraska and what it is outside of Nebraska. So how exactly are my comments "irrelevant"...just because you're trying to be a pain?? "LOL That's irrelevant" Oh please.

Last edited by mattpoulsen; 11-27-2007 at 06:39 PM..

Old 11-27-2007, 06:49 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,779 times
I just read something interesting on ESPN about Nebraska. They said you guys like to raid New Jersey for some of your talent. I know you guys took some of our guys, but is New Jersey a place NU likes to Recruit?

They also said you guys need to start looking at CA, and TX for some players. Do you guys find that insulting at all? Do you think that NU needs to start looking into those states instead of the homegrown?

You guys are like America's version of the nomad.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:59 PM

Yeah, we used to raid NJ. Christian and Jason Peter are from NJ and I think Jamal Lord was too. Joe Dailey (I think) came from NJ, but didn't exactly pan out.

No, its not an insult that we have to recruit in Texas and California. Its just a matter of population. Nebraska has less than 2 million people in it. We usually get the D1 level talent out of Nebraska and then go out of state for the rest. This is pretty much the norm unless you're a university in a large market: California, Texas, Florida, East Coast.

We used to get a lot of guys from NJ and a decent amount from California and Florida. The guys on ESPN are a little out of touch though. We've always recruited California and have several players on our roster right now from California. Over the last 4 years we've been doing more out state recruiting than ever. The whole "inconsistent recruiting" classes is a myth. Our talent level is fine...our coaches are what stunk. According to the experts our recruiting classes have been top notch the last few years...umm that didn't do too much did it. While in the '90s our classes were average...and we won 3 titles. The ESPN "experts" focus way way too much on recruiting and not enough on the coaches ability to focus and coach a team. With the right coach we'll win the Big 12 North next season...its coaching not recruiting.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:18 PM

41 posts, read 262,080 times
It's "UNL" and I want Pellini!!! It will be Pellini; you just wait and see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska