Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 02:47 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,318,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
You are right, Nebraska does allow concelled carry. If those signs had not been there is there a chance a law-abiding/trained person might have had their concelled weapon. Never know, but if so, they might have save a life.
I do not think a "shoot 'em up" at a mall would be a very good idea. It probably would have involved more deaths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 03:50 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,340,612 times
The latest reports say that six of the eight who lost their lives were store employees. How tragic. Not only are we in the retail industry subjected to rude customers this time of year, but we're also subject to being specific targets in shooting rampages as well. In any event one life lost here was far too many, and I'd still advocate for metal detectors at the entrances to any building where large concentrations of people gather. We've seen mass shootings now in schools, universities, malls, churches, offices, warehouses, and just about every other public facility one could imagine. How many more massacres are we going to allow to occur?

Old 12-06-2007, 04:00 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,827,856 times
We will never know PittNurse. It was 6 minutes before the first police officers arrived on the scene. By that time the killer had already shot himself and the 13 innocents. Maybe just maybe if ONE person with a legally concealed weapon had been on the scene some of those lives could have been saved.

I am one of those so called "gun nuts" the liberal media loves to crucify. I have taken the class that CCW permit holders are required to take but I do not plan on applying for the permit. Mainly because there are so many place that do not allow weapons on their premises. If/when CCW permit holders can carry everywhere I will just continue carrying openly (allowed in Nebraska) when I want and not patronize the places that forbid weapons.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:10 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,318,490 times
Quote:
We will never know PittNurse.
You're right. You never know what "might have happend" in any situation. All we'll ever know is what did happen. I think it's good not to speculate endlessley on the "what ifs?"

Old 12-06-2007, 09:59 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,402,151 times
Prayers for all of you from across the river in Iowa!
*God Bless*

Old 12-07-2007, 06:55 AM

884 posts, read 1,025,737 times
Does a concealed weapons permit include assault rifles like the AK47? There is no way that it could.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:50 AM

490 posts, read 1,257,446 times
I also took the class and have my permit. It is sort of mis-named as a concealed weapons permit however it applies to hand guns only, not rifles, shotguns, knives, batons, knuckes, etc.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:51 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,867,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
Does a concealed weapons permit include assault rifles like the AK47? There is no way that it could.
No it wouldn't and that's the point. This guy had an arrest record and had problems for a long time. He couldn't have gotten a permit no matter what but he still got ahold of a gun. Gun control is really victim disarmament. The law abiding obeyed the law and weren't carrying but this troubled criminal was. That's what happens when you disarm the good people.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:34 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,524,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btoverdrive View Post
I also took the class and have my permit. It is sort of mis-named as a concealed weapons permit however it applies to hand guns only, not rifles, shotguns, knives, batons, knuckes, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
This guy had an arrest record and had problems for a long time. He couldn't have gotten a permit no matter what ..... Gun control is really victim disarmament. The law abiding obeyed the law and weren't carrying but this troubled criminal was. That's what happens when you disarm the good people.
Both great clarifying posts. Really like the concept of victim disarmament. Thank you both.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:31 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,827,856 times
Default Assault Weapon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
Steve_W That is a good question. It is easy to conceal a rifle, shotgun or rifle in loose clothing. As far as the concealed weapons law here in Nebraska applying to "assault weapons" like an AK-47: You can GOOGLE the law using terms like "Nebraska CCW, LB454" and read it word for word. I followed the legislative process fairly closely while this bill was moving through its' various stages and I cannot remember if long guns like rifles & shotguns were mentioned in the bill. Carrying a rifle concealed would be pretty uncomfortable and unwieldy. The time to access a concealed rifle/shotgun would be seconds instead of a fraction of a second.

Nebraska law does permit carrying ALL firearms in plain sight unless in a building specifically prohibited by law. Some exceptions are where alcohol is served; Government buildings and private buildings where it is clearly posted "NO GUNS/WEAPONS ALLOWED".

FYI : The term "Assault Weapon" is a misnomer used by people who have very little knowledge about firearms. A true assault weapon is a firearm typically used by the military or law enforcement officials that is capable of firing multiple rounds with ONE pull of the trigger or fully automatic fire until the magazine is emptied. A semi-automatic weapon is a firearm that has the capability to reload another round after the trigger is pulled and released. Firing just ONE ROUND with a pull of the trigger. The ability to add a bayonet to a weapon also qualifies a firearm to be considered an assault weapon. The typical AK-47 that a civilian would own is semi-automatic and not equipped with the lug for mounting a bayonet. I have heard conflicting reports about the weapon used in the Omaha shootings, some reports say SKS-47 and AK-47. They are basically the same weapons but are licensed for manufacture in different countries. Russia, China, Czechoslovakia among others.

I hope that partially clarifies your question but unless you are a gun nut like I am it probably just added to your confusion.

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska