U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 01:36 PM

6 posts, read 12,337 times

Advertisements

I've just recently moved to Nebraska, and decided to go to KMart to pick up a few odd and ends for my home...This was my first time outside of the downtown area in Hastings and as I was walking around KMart I saw closed doors which lead into the mall. I stood there for a couple of minutes and all I saw was a few people power walking and it looked like a ghost town...so I walked around to the mall entrance, and spent a few minutes and the only stores open were Herberger's and a nail salon, which the 3 ladies sitting there looked like they wanted to crawl out of their skin...

I don't know how this place USED to be, but it was just the saddest thing I've seen in a long time...Worse than some of the abandoned neighborhoods I've seen in New York...only thing I can think of is the location isn't really ideal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 08:14 AM

2,085 posts, read 1,366,372 times
Up until about 15 years ago, pretty much every store in that mall was occupied and it was a pretty nice mall. As far as I know, there isn't a lone reason all of the stores abandoned it, but some contributing factors I've heard are poor management and the northwards growth of the city. Many of the stores you see in the developments around Wal-Mart were previous tenants in the Imperial Mall. Some moved downtown or elsewhere in town and some outright closed like Sam Goody and the old arcade.

I spent a lot of time in that mall as a kid, and seeing what it has become is really depressing.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:37 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,341,637 times
I used to work at the mall during the mid- 70's and it was "the" place to go with all spaces occupied.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:10 PM

370 posts, read 1,158,910 times
When I moved to Hastings in 1990, it was a great place. All the stores were full (and the food court was more to the center). Gibsons was where the KMart is and Walgreens was near the center on the west side. By the time I moved away in 2003, it was dying a quick death.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:30 AM

6 posts, read 12,337 times
Same thing happened to one of the malls back in New York, as the surrounding area got less desirable people living there (drugs, gangs, robberies) a lot of the stores went elsewhere or just threw in the towel, and as the area went through a period of re-gentrification, the mall thrived again. Some neighborhoods are funny like that, they go through a period of death to get new life. When I see what's happened in Harlem, it amazes me how safe it is today.

Maybe in a few years as more people move to Hastings, that part of the city could grow again. It's a shame, because it has such potential, too bad I missed it when it was what it was.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:27 PM

9 posts, read 35,039 times
Even in the later 90's the mall was still hanging in there and the food court was a huge draw for the high school kids during their open campus lunch break. You could argue that Imperial Mall easily had the best food court in the Tri Cities. The Burlington Express across from the school killed the food court business and several national franchises pulled out of there when their leases were up.

The mall had a lot of owner/operator stores along with the usual chain stores and it's true that many of them either folded or migrated out to the Walmart area. The outlying businesses faded away as well. The SunMart store and Village Inn were nice draws to the mall area as well.

The location was a bit ill conceived, but the mall did hold its own for several years.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,825 times
When the mall opened it had a Woolworth w/a cafe , walgreens w/a cafe, JM McDonald Clothier, Hinky Dinky, Musicland, Montgomery Wards, Brass Buckle , a Karmelkorn and 2 shoe stores I don't recall their names..It opened in I believe 1973 or 74..brings back nice memories..

Old 04-05-2017, 06:08 AM

3,489 posts, read 4,929,928 times
DeadMalls.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska