U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 11:05 AM

5,626 posts, read 5,084,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
My Dad smoked up to three packs of Camels every day when I was growing up. The day I got my drivers license I went out with a bunch of my friends. One of my buddies left a pack of Camels in the glove box. Next day my Dad needed a ride and he asked me to take him to town. The glove box popped open and Dad saw the pack of smokes. He commented on them and he told me that if I was going to smoke he thought I should know how to do it correctly. He had me stop the car and roll all the windows. He then made me smoke all of the cigarettes left in the pack. By the time I smoked the last one I was ready to puke my guts out. Dad just asked me if I really enjoyed it. That was 52 years ago and I have had no desire to smoke a cigarette since. Thanks Dad.

P.S.
A year or two later My Dad quit smoking, cold turkey. He lived the rest of his life smoke free.

GL2
My mom made me eat a cigarette...no desire since then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 11:43 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,327,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Oh, pleeeez....not that "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree
More times than not, that is a correct summation.

Quote:
I have 2 teens, ages 16 & 17. Both smoke cigarettes. Neither DH nor I smoke, we do NOT associate with those who do smoke, and smoking is not allowed in our home. So, guess we've set the pace?
The expression does not mean that children will only pick up bad habits from their parents.

What it does mean is that generally speaking, the foundation for personality is learned by children during their formative years, at which time their parents are their greatest influence. Do you not agree that successful people tend to have successful offspring, and loser parents tend to raise loser children?

Quote:
BTW, I don't know where they get the cigarettes, obviously someone is buying them for them.
Do you live anywhere near an Indian reservation?

Old 01-02-2015, 05:21 PM

9,473 posts, read 12,331,599 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Quote:
Oh, pleeeez....not that "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree
Sometimes the Apples falsl off the Tree and roll down the mountain all the way down into a distance valley

Quote:
I have 2 teens, ages 16 & 17. Both smoke cigarettes. Neither DH nor I smoke, we do NOT associate with those who do smoke, and smoking is not allowed in our home. So, guess we've set the pace?
Parents can do everything absolutely right and theirs children get side tracked because of theirs own
personality and character failures caused by themselves.

Quote:
BTW, I don't know where they get the cigarettes, obviously someone is buying them for them. Yes, I've talked to them about the dangers of smoking, how its addictive and expensive, and how it sets one up socially. I've done this in a supportive manner over time, but, seems others have influence over them which I don't.
Of course others have influence over them because your kids aren't robots

Quote:
I don't mean to hijack this thread into one about teen smoking, just to express that parents aren't the only influence on their children, nor many times the main influence.
These days parents are the one with the least amount of influence over theirs children.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:44 AM

4,235 posts, read 7,275,250 times
I think it was my Mother that told me "Sometimes a bad example is a better teacher than a good example".
Gunluvver2

Old 01-03-2015, 08:36 AM

6,893 posts, read 3,403,839 times
Your baby is moving out. Buy her a house warming gift (perhaps pens and notebooks for school), and keep your door open to her.

She might surprise you. She finished high school, and is accepted to college. Sounds promising.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:53 PM

303 posts, read 288,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
since she was 18 we had to go to the extreme of throwing her out of the home and later having her committed. The only way this could be done was the courts had to determine that she was either a danger to herself or others. They determined she was a danger to herself. If they didn't determine this I don't know what we'd done..
That's the only way to do it I'm afraid. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:31 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,602,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motleygirl123 View Post
The title pretty much sums up what is going on, i have a wonderful daughter whom has been dating this loser boyfriend of hers for about 4 years. He has cheated on her several times, been to jail for drugs , has a violent temper although has never hit her that i know of ( and God help him if he does ) and we just cant seem to get rid of him. She is a manager at a pizza place until she starts college this coming fall, but she has just informed me that she will be moving in with the deadbeat 18 year old boyfriend and his dad and his dads girlfriend. This dad gives his kids alcohol and doesnt care if they smoke weed around him. Can she legally move in with them at 18? Is there anything i can do to stop this?
She is 18, dating him for 4 years, means she started dating him at 14 when she was under your roof, and under your control. You should have done something then, I would personally ground my daughter to the house if I felt she was seeing someone harmful for her future. It seems you failed then, so now she is an adult and out of your control, I have no good suggestions.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:34 PM

43,582 posts, read 52,760,258 times
She is an adult.

I would cut her off.
Take back anything you pay for (car, phone).
Sayonara.
Here is the pink slip on your life.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:51 PM

4,915 posts, read 4,078,639 times
The thread is almost a year old, and the OP has not been back since she posted about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or