U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-21-2014, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Western AZ
209 posts, read 366,053 times
Reputation: 214

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
Your whole comment about Williston is just utterly clueless. North Dakota's current wages in the Bakken area have to do with the fact that they are DEVELOPING a major economic resource, it has nothing to do with a low unemployment. Such Libertarian minded BS. What Nebraska needs to do is development its resources, WIND, SOLAR, LEGAL MARIJUANA, TOURISM and fit them into Nebraska's economy in such a way that would increase the state's TAX REVENUE.
You're a little bit backwards here Surf. RomaniGypsy is right - the reason for the low unemployment in North Dakota is due to the fact that they are developing and hiring and the reason wages are higher in North Dakota is due to the fact that employers are having to compete for workers. Low unemployment always drives wages higher and the inverse is true as well. I hired my first employee 34 years ago and I can tell you the wages are always market driven... in other words supply and demand. Setting an artificial wage always has a negative effect on employment as proven in the 1970's when Nixon imposed a wage and price freeze in an effort to curb inflation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-24-2014, 02:16 AM
 
Location: Midtown Omaha
605 posts, read 1,058,495 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHAEL J View Post
You're a little bit backwards here Surf. RomaniGypsy is right - the reason for the low unemployment in North Dakota is due to the fact that they are developing and hiring and the reason wages are higher in North Dakota is due to the fact that employers are having to compete for workers. Low unemployment always drives wages higher and the inverse is true as well. I hired my first employee 34 years ago and I can tell you the wages are always market driven... in other words supply and demand. Setting an artificial wage always has a negative effect on employment as proven in the 1970's when Nixon imposed a wage and price freeze in an effort to curb inflation.
You are so full of it. South Dakota and Nebraska are 2nd and 3rd when it comes to unemployment rates right after North Dakota. If what you say is true, South Dakota and Nebraska would have the 2nd and 3rd highest minimum wages in the nation. And that is far from the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2014, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Western AZ
209 posts, read 366,053 times
Reputation: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
You are so full of it. South Dakota and Nebraska are 2nd and 3rd when it comes to unemployment rates right after North Dakota. If what you say is true, South Dakota and Nebraska would have the 2nd and 3rd highest minimum wages in the nation. And that is far from the truth.
Are you an employer Surf? If so how many employees do you have and what do you offer as a starting entry level wage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2014, 05:55 AM
 
Location: Midtown Omaha
605 posts, read 1,058,495 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHAEL J View Post
You're a little bit backwards here Surf. RomaniGypsy is right - the reason for the low unemployment in North Dakota is due to the fact that they are developing and hiring and the reason wages are higher in North Dakota is due to the fact that employers are having to compete for workers. Low unemployment always drives wages higher and the inverse is true as well. I hired my first employee 34 years ago and I can tell you the wages are always market driven... in other words supply and demand. Setting an artificial wage always has a negative effect on employment as proven in the 1970's when Nixon imposed a wage and price freeze in an effort to curb inflation.
Well guess what? South Dakota and Nebraska have low unemployment as well, I don't see wages skyrocketing. You can't even see how wrong you are. Look around! ~ The extent of Tea Party BS in the Deep Red State of TeaBraska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2014, 02:54 PM
 
9,473 posts, read 5,884,872 times
Reputation: 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
We need to change the minimum wage to a living wage, that way, every time rich corporations and rich landlords raise prices, they contribute to the wage increase!
By all means, please price everyone out of a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 12:19 PM
 
84 posts, read 100,687 times
Reputation: 45
Minimum wage was never designed to be a "living wage".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top