U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 08:26 AM

94 posts, read 296,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I have a new favorite pizza place. I finally got a chance to try Wave Pizza Company in GI and it was very good.
That place is awsome, I love the Hawaiin pizza it is wonderful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 12:13 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,058,349 times
I havent been in Nebraska for years,But i always liked Taco Johns(spicy meat)
And Valentinos!Not sure if these places are still open but i liked..
Fat Freddys Pizza's and Joe Tess Catfish in Omaha.
I miss Runza as well!

Old 04-07-2009, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,570 times
Default a little fyi....

I am new to this forum but not to Nebraska. I am in my fifties and a native of Nebraska.

I see in a earlier post a few things or rather "eateries" I would like to put my "two cents" worth in..from personal experience. Specifically O'Neill.... Allison's which is now the Blarney Stone.. is not worth writing home to Mom about. Most all of their food is pre-prepared and not home-cooked. The food has about as much taste as cardboard. O'Neill does have a good Chinese restaurant and authentic mexican food restaurant..and an EXCELLENT new BBQ restaurant located on the southwest corner of main square.

If you want steaks..travel 30 miles east to Clearwater..L BAR B.. where their salad bar is home prepared and steaks are grilled..kinda reminiscent of the steakhouses out of the 70's and 80's..in fact this is when they were established. Oh yes..as in all small town America..always check out the salebarns...these are absolutely the BEST!!..Home baked pies..galore..every flavor served on saleday.. home cooked meals.. mmm delicious!! O"Neill's sale day is Thursdays..just ask the locals.

Green Gables..located outside of Orchard in a country barn, it has always been a local favorite for Sunday dinner . Orchard is south east of O'Neill approx.. 20 miles. Open mainly in the summer months.. it has the rustic flair for a unique out of the way experience.

Another must experience..is the old time soda fountain located in Atkinson RF Gokie store. This is a store like the old "Dime stores" some refer to as "5 & 10" store... they serve old fashioned malts....lite lunches...a real step into yesteryear.. don't miss it..worth the stop...people are great..very friendly. They also have a store in Bassett.

By the way..on your way to Valentine..many go there to canoe the Niobrara in the summer..check out Hidden Paradise in LongPine..I don't know if it's still open but it used to have a really good steakhouse and dances. I love that place..hidden in the hills..you have to drive down a 7% grade for a quarter of a mile to get down in there and then you look up at the hills (almost like mountains) it just has that feel..and the cottages are shoulder to shoulder along the Long Pine creek ..where it is popular to go intertubing in the summer.. My relation had a place there and I stopped one Christmas Eve as the snow fell..it was picture postcard BEAUTIFUL.. I loved it.. I must say it has also been known to flood out on ocassion as well.. but for the most part has not been that bad.

Enjoy
Sam

For what it's worth
Sam

Last edited by sandhillsam; 04-07-2009 at 08:31 PM..

Old 04-07-2009, 07:55 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,685,143 times
Oh I love Green Gables, best burgers I've ever had.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:37 PM

252 posts, read 633,998 times
And, another place(s) to dine coincides with a trip to the lake: Harlan Lake. At Republican City--can't help the name of that town--there is Old Mexico. The food is just Gringo style Mexican(hamburger on lettuce, you can bypass by ordering the fajita salad which is really good), but the wall murals are really pretty and the margaritas are 'to die for.' Further out of town, winding around to North Shore is Little Mexico on the Lake. You will be with the lake locals and the place is just kind of special, overlooking the water. I recommend the chimichangas or the smothered burritos. Not quite like what you had in Juarez or Tiajuana, but very tasty.

For great hamburgers, go the marina at Johnson Lake. Can't remember the name of the place, but it was raining one night and we docked the boat and ate like we'd died and gone to heaven listening to a band called Mainstreet that rocked.

There was a place in Bellevue that I thot was cool--Charlies???can't remember. Is that still there and is the food still good?? Also, whatever happened to the Chinese place in old, downtown Omaha that was run for nearly a century, traditionally, but the family who ran it grew too old...can't remember the name....you went thru a narrow door and then, upstairs...sound familiar to any of you?????It had secretive booths in the back where I heard that early cattlemen would go for deal making, in the 1940s and 50s....???

Old 04-08-2009, 07:51 PM

872 posts, read 2,598,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roots'nbulbs View Post
There was a place in Bellevue that I thot was cool--Charlies???can't remember. Is that still there and is the food still good?? Also, whatever happened to the Chinese place in old, downtown Omaha that was run for nearly a century, traditionally, but the family who ran it grew too old...can't remember the name....you went thru a narrow door and then, upstairs...sound familiar to any of you?????It had secretive booths in the back where I heard that early cattlemen would go for deal making, in the 1940s and 50s....???
There was a Charlie's seafood restaurant (by the Charlie's on the Lake people) briefly in Bellevue (around 36th and 370). There's a Charley's subs/phillies place in La Vista - can't picture one in Bellevue - but that's a chain, so probably not what you meant. I can't think of another Charlie's in Bellevue, but it may just not be coming to my mind.

Was the Chinese place around 17th-ish? I think it is still there and I believe it is King Fong? My husband and my dad went there a few times before hockey games or other sports stuff downtown. I only went there once, so that's why I'm iffy on the name.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:53 PM

252 posts, read 633,998 times
King Fong!!That's it. Thank you. It's a very historic place. The owners were Chinese immigrants and ran the place all of their Omaha lives; then, their adult children became (a lawyer and an architect??if I read the story, correctly, in the Wrld Hrld) and did not continue at the restaurant. I wonder who is running it or if one of the children did come back to it. It also seated and fed Mayors from around the state, and Governors and legislators. It dates back thru the Omaha stock yards days and has a lot of ghosts. I learned this from a friend whose father was one of those mayors(GI).

Maybe Charlie's wasn't the right name for the place in Bellevue. I just remember really enjoying the food and the atmosphere and wondered.Thanks for sharing................Great places, for you, on the Riverwalk.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:09 AM

20 posts, read 82,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
There is a real good place in McCool Junction that name escapes me. Go on Wednesday's to Bubba's in Strang for Wing night. They give you a new tablecloth and paper towels and dump everything on the table and eat away. Agree with Chances R and Runza, also Amigos. Tubs Pub in Sumner and Uncle Bucks in Brewster are also good. There is a really neat ice cream parlor in Broken Bow on the square. Ok Cafe in Hastings is good, I think I could go on, but I'm making myself hungry. Merry Christmas.
You are talking about Kerry's, and their Fish Sandwich is AWESOME!!!

Old 04-10-2009, 02:54 PM

872 posts, read 2,598,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roots'nbulbs View Post
Maybe Charlie's wasn't the right name for the place in Bellevue. I just remember really enjoying the food and the atmosphere and wondered.Thanks for sharing................Great places, for you, on the Riverwalk.
Great places to eat everywhere here (we don't go to the Riverwalk often, but there are a few good places there as well)... but to be honest, I sometimes crave Zio's pizza from Omaha when I just want one good slice of pizza (good pizza places here, but most don't sell by the slice). Also the cornbread muffins at Famous Dave's - I know it's a chain, but we don't have it here, probably because there is so much other barbecue. I love the sweetness in their muffins that you don't typically find in cornbread (and some places around here have jalapeno cornbread, which I do not at all love).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or