Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 10:09 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga.Peach View Post
Are most of you sorry you voted for Bush, like we did 'twice'?
Politics are funny in this state. We tend to be pretty "red" when it comes to presidents, but beyond that it's variable. For example our Representative that replaced king Tom is a republican, but he had a really tight race from a Democrat. And that's here in the third congressional district (ie, the western 2/3 of NE) where a lot of races don't even have a democratic candidate. lol

Then you look at our Senators and we have Ben Nelson (a pretty conservative Democrat) and Chuck Hagel (a Republican who has made a name for himself as a Bush critic). Bush is under a lot of fire, even here in the conservative part of NE. Would he win yet another term? Probably. But people woud gripe about him, anyway.

So far as plants/trees, if you stay in the Platte valley or south of there, you're going to be in Zone 5, so temp.-wise, you'll have a lot of growing options.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:36 AM

475 posts, read 2,234,722 times
It's not really that funny when you look a little more closely.

As you pointed out yourself... Nelson is really a Republican for all intents and purposes... and virtually every Democrat I've seen, runs with a conservative position on social issues (because they realize they've got no chance otherwise).

Bob Kerry isn't running against Johanns ... because he realizes he no longer has a chance in this state... it's become even MORE Red since he was senator. Or at least... the Karl Rove model has been fully implemented into politics in Nebraska.

Continuing the slide back into the 19th Century...

I guess it could be worse... we could be Kansas. At least we still believe in the scientific method (even if it can't use embryonic stem cells).

Old 12-31-2007, 12:43 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,246 times
Default in this state..

In nebraska, with the exception of a few representatives, we generally are 60/40 conservative vs liberal type of mentality..

We are not California, but at the same time we are not Tennessee/Kansas.

I was reading where Nebraskan representatives generally are in the most part pretty respectable people as for the most part they don't let their party stand in the way as to what they think is right or wrong.

This is true for the most part, however, one thing they do that is really is upsetting is that while it is true that 65% of Nebraskan's believe that sins should be outlawed, it is however anti-american to set any 'social' laws that are not sins in their beliefs.

In other words, it is not okay, federally or state-wise to have social laws, unless it is a sin in the bible..

The Nebraska Department of Health and Human services has stopped all information sharing on the health of homosexuals, mainly because they said 'they dont have too.'

One thing to think about with that type of mentality is that, what if the federal government didn't protect the other classes? Just a thought...

Last edited by ehenningsen; 12-31-2007 at 01:09 PM..

Old 12-31-2007, 03:32 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Politics are funny in this state. We tend to be pretty "red" when it comes to presidents, but beyond that it's variable. For example our Representative that replaced king Tom is a republican, but he had a really tight race from a Democrat. And that's here in the third congressional district (ie, the western 2/3 of NE) where a lot of races don't even have a democratic candidate. lol

Then you look at our Senators and we have Ben Nelson (a pretty conservative Democrat) and Chuck Hagel (a Republican who has made a name for himself as a Bush critic). Bush is under a lot of fire, even here in the conservative part of NE. Would he win yet another term? Probably. But people woud gripe about him, anyway.

I don't think its funny... I think Nebraskans are actually very moderate (not extreme right wing). So yes, there are many more republicans, but moderate democrats and independents get along very well in this state because of the general moderate attitude.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:19 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
I don't think its funny... I think Nebraskans are actually very moderate (not extreme right wing). So yes, there are many more republicans, but moderate democrats and independents get along very well in this state because of the general moderate attitude.

I think you're right. But that's what I meant when I said they were funny. Politics in our state can't be broken down easily along party lines because the parties in our state tend to run fairly close to each other.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:01 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
Quote:
I think you're right. But that's what I meant when I said they were funny. Politics in our state can't be broken down easily along party lines because the parties in our state tend to run fairly close to each other.

In that case, agree with you.... I think its more "common sense" than "funny"... just wish the rest of the nation had old fashioned midwest common sense values

Old 12-31-2007, 05:36 PM

214 posts, read 474,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
I was trying to be nice. As for water, we were in a drought for long time, but this past year has put that to the past. In the cities we really don't have problems, although Grand Island has had some ground water problems. If we get really dry in the summer they might have you water every other day at night. Now in the country farmers are getting pretty low portions of irrigation water and there is a water rights problem with Kansas, but that mostly for a river south and southwest of the tri-cities. Nebraska has alot of rivers, creeks and the Ogala Aquifer runs under us, so while we are concerned about water and we need good snowpack from the mountains, we are not in the dire situation of say Colorado. As for churches, lots of catholic, methodist, lutheran and some baptist, those would be the largest concentration for central Nebraska. Plants, well corn and beans Ha ha! I'm not very plant and tree knowledgeable but alot of people have gardens, flowers and vegatable. Most people find it wide open, you will find trees in the cities and homesteads, but with all the fields and pastures, that makes it wide open in a majority of the space. Hope that kinda helps anyway!

Ok sorry I suspected you . And thanks for reply .
We are Bible believers too so glad theres plenty of churces .

We like greens, corn, okra, carrots and all vegetables .Do yall eat grits and cornbread there ? We love our cornbread, and collards and watermellons .

What about gun rights ? Husband belongs to NRA and a gun club here . But we are peaceful and never had to use it, thank goodness .

Thanks

Old 12-31-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:

So far as plants/trees, if you stay in the Platte valley or south of there, you're going to be in Zone 5, so temp.-wise, you'll have a lot of growing options.

We are conservative so far like Duncan Hunter . As for all the rest wouldn't vote for any of them now that Tancredo is out . Did like Ron Paul until he got too close to islam .

We have lots of trees here so they would be missed for sure .
Thanks

Old 12-31-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
It's not really that funny when you look a little more closely.

As you pointed out yourself... Nelson is really a Republican for all intents and purposes... and virtually every Democrat I've seen, runs with a conservative position on social issues (because they realize they've got no chance otherwise).

Bob Kerry isn't running against Johanns ... because he realizes he no longer has a chance in this state... it's become even MORE Red since he was senator. Or at least... the Karl Rove model has been fully implemented into politics in Nebraska.

Continuing the slide back into the 19th Century...

I guess it could be worse... we could be Kansas. At least we still believe in the scientific method (even if it can't use embryonic stem cells).

The 19th century may be looking pretty good if things keep going the way they are .

Science can be a wonderful thing, it can also be terrible . Everything has limits .

I don't know much about Rove . I was too busy calling all of them about illegal immigration to find out much about any of them .

thanks

Old 12-31-2007, 06:06 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,903 times
"Bob Kerry isn't running against Johanns ... because he realizes he no longer has a chance in this state... it's become even MORE Red since he was senator. Or at least... the Karl Rove model has been fully implemented into politics in Nebraska."

Nebraska is looking better and better!

I believe gun rights are important in NE. I know it's a shall issue state and hunting is popular. I'm a 28 yr member of the NRA too and it's one of the reasons I HAVE to get out of NY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska