Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 12:05 PM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times

Advertisements

I am a true American- me, just -me take it or leave it- I want to be myself NOT like any one else and at 60+ so far so good-I am not tied up with either the good ole boys - but I ride a motorcycle- nor the ol' country--I can make traditional foods- and speak another language, nor even my body type or skin color- if I am female or male...I still wear pants - and have short hair-use red lipstick and go to church- and have a high paying admin job- go fishing and can make a garden etc etc
Traditions do NOT hold me-- I learned and kept a bit of all- and I evolved into ME I can sing-- did it my way Go be free my friend some will like you, and some will not- make self ahpy as long as you do not step on anyone elses freedoms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 02:32 AM

31 posts, read 40,311 times
Hi fellows ,so I am back. Earned my citizenship and is now a US citizen . Voted this year and guess what , I voted for Trump. However, I am having some fear inside me which I feel this forum might help. How much people in Nebraska hate immigrants?

Old 11-12-2016, 03:16 AM

1,248 posts, read 823,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaGuy2010 View Post
Hi fellows ,so I am back. Earned my citizenship and is now a US citizen . Voted this year and guess what , I voted for Trump. However, I am having some fear inside me which I feel this forum might help. How much people in Nebraska hate immigrants?
You have lived in Nebraska for 6 years and still do not know what the people there think about immigrants? Have you been not leaving your home all these years?

Personally I think your fear is of your own making. You have this idea of "hostile white people" in your head, and you see other (white) people through the lens of this idea. Get out of your home, go meet the neighbors, you will find out we are not scary at all.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:02 AM

31 posts, read 40,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
You have lived in Nebraska for 6 years and still do not know what the people there think about immigrants? Have you been not leaving your home all these years?

Personally I think your fear is of your own making. You have this idea of "hostile white people" in your head, and you see other (white) people through the lens of this idea. Get out of your home, go meet the neighbors, you will find out we are not scary at all.
No not in my mind. I am a gym rat and I have faced many hostile there from my fellow meat heads and same goes with downtown bars which I have tried venturing out. During my first 3 years here, I was a bookworm and went to medical school. I started venturing into nightlife after my 28th birthday(yeah too late I know). Have faced some hostilities and so this forum

Old 11-12-2016, 09:22 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Congratulations on becoming a US citizen OmahaGuyy.
There is no simple answer to your question on how to assimilate correctly but here is my opinion. Just my opinion and it may not be the same as most people.

To start off: Most of us in Nebraska do NOT HATE immigrants. Many of us do have problems with ILLEGAL immigrants however. You have learned how to speak English and taken the LEGAL path to Citizenship and all that goes with it. That is a huge thing and is to be respected.

I voted for Trump also. I am a 70 year old White guy and to me Trump was the better choice over Hillary. If you are under forty you may get a lot of hostility from some in your age group for letting them know you voted for Trump.

Culture is a behavior unlike RACE which is Genetic. There are dozens of different "cultures" in Nebraska and depending on where you are your "culture" may be accepted or disliked. As an example as a White Guy if I was to go to Omaha to catch an airplane at Eppley Airfield and I got lost in the area North of downtown Omaha I might not be too popular because of my Race. If I had my favorite Country Western music blaring on my car stereo it might not be appreciated by the residents of that neighborhood.

Common courtesy and respect for others is the first step in assimilating. Assimilating does not mean you have to abandon all aspects of your native culture. After all America has been a "melting pot" of cultures for centuries. However in the past learning how to speak the common language (ENGLISH) is the first step in assimilating. It sounds like you are way past that.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:26 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
No not in my mind. I am a gym rat and I have faced many hostile there from my fellow meat heads and same goes with downtown bars which I have tried venturing out. During my first 3 years here, I was a bookworm and went to medical school. I started venturing into nightlife after my 28th birthday(yeah too late I know). Have faced some hostilities and so this forum
Hang with a different crowd. Gym Rats have way too much testosterone as a rule. Plus bars have alcohol and many folks cannot handle their liquor.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:48 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,340,178 times
If you voted for Trump, you might want to explore re immigrating somewhere else, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:57 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
If you voted for Trump, you might want to explore re immigrating somewhere else, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Uncalled for. This person immigrated successfully and legally and is now an American citizen who can legally vote. He is as American as you and me.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:40 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
People could say the very same thing to you for voting for Hillary, or whoever you voted for, because what you said, is about as unAmerican as you can get. Have you ever considered immigrating somewhere else? If you're gonna go around spewing unAmerican foam from the mouth, maybe you might wanna consider it.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:16 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,985 times
Quote:
First thing first, Congratulations of becoming a citizen! You want know how to assimilate? YOU DID! Becoming a Citizen and paying into the system. Also Congrats on being intelligent enough to vote Trump! Does he say a lot of stupid crap? YUP! But he's got decades of a good track record with deal making and budgeting, something Politicians refuse to do these days. Plus, the alternative was a Sociopath criminal. As somebody that came here right I'm sure you would now have a problem with people coming here illegally and then draining all the money that the gov't took from our paychecks for a free ride! Why do you feel you aren't accepted? Strong accent? Look different? People are typically very accepting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of: