U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-18-2008, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Long Island
444 posts, read 940,948 times
Reputation: 172

Advertisements

Red Robin! They used to have one in the Smithhaven Mall years ago only to be taken over by Friday's. I only get to eat Red robin once a year when I travel to Arizona. Razmataz is a awsome furniture store. What else? I forgot the name of it. it was a clothing store similar to Marshalls. Designer clothes but really cheap! Probably a lot more things but that is all I can come with now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2008, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Papillion
2,585 posts, read 9,527,342 times
Reputation: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
Northeast Omaha is nowhere near detroit, and at the same time I understand that it is by far the worst part of Omaha, but by no means is it at a point of no return..

The only way to revitalize is to provide a good economy, as that is the key to less crime..
I understand what you are saying but I'm not sure I totally agree with the last sentance when you say "the only way".

(1) We have had an excellent economy the last 10 years and this area did not revitalize.

(2) South Omaha is also poor, highly made up of a single race, known for higher crime - yet, in spite of all of that South 24th is VERY vibrant from a business and economic perspective.


What's important in #1 on why North O hasn't flourished and what's important in #2 on why South O has? The PEOPLE in that local community CARE and ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING.

Yes, a good economy helps. Yes, economic programs help. Yes social programs can help. BUT all will fail if the local people don't care and give up.

North Omaha needs to take a lesson from the South 24th street merchants and residents on what's made that little economy work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2008, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
1,119 posts, read 3,813,005 times
Reputation: 405
Default that's what i mean..

Northeast Omaha is the only part of of town that has not flourished, the viewpoint of that part of town is the same for all bad areas of all cities, and that it is the last place in that city they would consider building in..

The north Omaha re-development of Florence Boulevard is going to be huge for this part of town, but it is going to have to go beyond that, it's going to have to take an attitude change..

Your right, the only way to go up is if you roll up your sleeves and climb out which will always require work. One thing you will notice is an environment, some area's and regions have a nature of one type and another will have a nature of another type. This re-development project on Florence Boulevard 'should' hopefully open up eyes to the citizens of Omaha in this neighborhood to realize that in their own backyard can be an economy that rolls just like all the other parts of the community. This part of the city, just like all the other 'bad areas' of all cities have a nature of self-defeat, and quite honestly your NEVER going to help everyone from themselves, but if you want to change people, then you cant just sit there and tell everyone around you what this part of the city doesn't know without telling them for yourself.

Self-defeat goes beyond laziness, laziness is such a loose word, self-defeat is a very tragic occurance in someones life that the individual hates to experience, it is really a disease of the mind that is very progressive in nature and either is or is related to severe mental illness.. These people really believe that they cannot have a productive life, the have honestly given up and usually experience quite a bit of pain due to this self-defeat, which in a lot of ways leads some of them to criminal behavior.

If it is not a mental illness, it certainly a mental disease. And education, an opportunist economy (literally in their own back yard) will introduce these part of society to success. It's going to take work to get them to realize their potential, but remember not everyone will grasp this no matter how hard we all try!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2008, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Omaha
189 posts, read 158,629 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
Northeast Omaha is nowhere near detroit, and at the same time I understand that it is by far the worst part of Omaha, but by no means is it at a point of no return..

Thank goodness ! I only mentioned Detroit as a worst case scenario. Any time an investment is to be made, cities should look at others successes AND failures. Detroit does have one disadvantage, being landlocked by annexation laws. They were unable to annex out to where the new sub's were built. Having lived in several cities, and Detroit, I can think of nothing from there to 'miss'.
Personally, I prefer more modest cost housing and would have no problem living in an older area of Omaha as long as it was relatively safe. As North East Omaha is now, I'd probably be 'eaten alive'. I am not comfortable 'locking myself in' the house and do not often lock up my car when at home.


The only way to revitalize is to provide a good economy, as that is the key to less crime..
Time will tell, I guess. Off top of my head I do not know any examples of dramatic turnarounds in neighborhoods around the country that did not involve 'running off' the residents using 'urban renewal'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2008, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Omaha, Ne
884 posts, read 756,618 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
Northeast Omaha is the only part of of town that has not flourished, the viewpoint of that part of town is the same for all bad areas of all cities, and that it is the last place in that city they would consider building in..

The north Omaha re-development of Florence Boulevard is going to be huge for this part of town, but it is going to have to go beyond that, it's going to have to take an attitude change..

Your right, the only way to go up is if you roll up your sleeves and climb out which will always require work. One thing you will notice is an environment, some area's and regions have a nature of one type and another will have a nature of another type. This re-development project on Florence Boulevard 'should' hopefully open up eyes to the citizens of Omaha in this neighborhood to realize that in their own backyard can be an economy that rolls just like all the other parts of the community. This part of the city, just like all the other 'bad areas' of all cities have a nature of self-defeat, and quite honestly your NEVER going to help everyone from themselves, but if you want to change people, then you cant just sit there and tell everyone around you what this part of the city doesn't know without telling them for yourself.

Self-defeat goes beyond laziness, laziness is such a loose word, self-defeat is a very tragic occurance in someones life that the individual hates to experience, it is really a disease of the mind that is very progressive in nature and either is or is related to severe mental illness.. These people really believe that they cannot have a productive life, the have honestly given up and usually experience quite a bit of pain due to this self-defeat, which in a lot of ways leads some of them to criminal behavior.

If it is not a mental illness, it certainly a mental disease. And education, an opportunist economy (literally in their own back yard) will introduce these part of society to success. It's going to take work to get them to realize their potential, but remember not everyone will grasp this no matter how hard we all try!
The whole thing is too exhausting for me to think about anymore.

I didn't grow up there nor have I been directly affecting by it so it's easy for me to be dismissive about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2008, 03:08 PM
 
Location: west Omaha
475 posts, read 2,037,007 times
Reputation: 207
Wow, I think that may well be the most insightful statement I've heard yet here about a large portion of our society as whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2008, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Papillion
2,585 posts, read 9,527,342 times
Reputation: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
I understand what you are saying but I'm not sure I totally agree with the last sentance when you say "the only way".

(1) We have had an excellent economy the last 10 years and this area did not revitalize.

(2) South Omaha is also poor, highly made up of a single race, known for higher crime - yet, in spite of all of that South 24th is VERY vibrant from a business and economic perspective.


What's important in #1 on why North O hasn't flourished and what's important in #2 on why South O has? The PEOPLE in that local community CARE and ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING.

Yes, a good economy helps. Yes, economic programs help. Yes social programs can help. BUT all will fail if the local people don't care and give up.

North Omaha needs to take a lesson from the South 24th street merchants and residents on what's made that little economy work.


I am hoping that the Urban League's expected revitalization with Chief Warren at the helm might be a boost to what ever is needed. He knows the culture and the neighborhood - he grew up in it and has always stayed connected to it... hopefully that could be a key to getting that community/culture engaged for its own benefit.

World Hearld Article today on his ties.
"At his official announcement as the new president and CEO of the Urban League of Nebraska, Warren spoke of a new and promising future for north Omaha, the community that he calls his own."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2008, 12:20 AM
 
Location: Bellevue, Ne
23 posts, read 61,591 times
Reputation: 11
Default All I want for Christmas is a new Government in Belevue

These guys have wasted millions!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2008, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Papillion
2,585 posts, read 9,527,342 times
Reputation: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter McCann View Post
All I want for Christmas is a new Government in Belevue : These guys have wasted millions!!!
You are getting that aren't you? The citizens passed that petition last year that effectively fired the entire council, reduced its size, and redrew boundry lines - so in effect 100% of the council is up for election this year and some of the incumbants are now in the same voting district.

Its up to the citizens now to determine the make-up of the new smaller council. I know of no city/town of any size in Nebraska that has ever had that chance, other than the first time it was formed.

In fact, you mentioned on a previous thread that you had actually filed to run for council in one of these new wards didn't you? Whether you win or not it will be a unique time in that town's history to be be running for a seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2008, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Omaha, Ne
884 posts, read 756,618 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
Wow, I think that may well be the most insightful statement I've heard yet here about a large portion of our society as whole.
Sorry, I just prefer to worry myself about issues I have some control over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:41 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top