U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 12:15 PM

79 posts, read 129,581 times
Talking Cherry County/Valentine

Having lived in the Sandhills a large number of years. Also working a couple ranches in the area, I have to say, it rarely gets better anywhere. You will find that now it's a little more complicated to live in the Valentine area because of new regulations over the past 15 years or more. One is taxes, they have increased dramatically from when we lived there. We were planning to move back to retire but that's not in the plan after seeing what it now costs to live in Nebraska. Too many liberal policies have ruined it for many. Took away the homestead rule for elders so many our age are not moving back or are moving away. We are looking alternatives to offset that issue so might be able to get back anyway.

Must say, the area around Valentine is one of the most beautiful anywhere! FYI, I have inlaws who own a home about 400 yds from the golf course who are probably moving to Oklahoma, why on earth only God knows, and will be selling their place. Not sure of price but it's desired by everyone local.

For you Star Gazers, I contacted the owner of Merritt's Trading Post. I am hoping he will come up with some reasonable responses to your issues. I camp/motorhome there every year for two concurrent reunions and they are always great. Someone must have done or said something the group isn't aware of that dissed him or something.

Best wishes to that SC gal in moving there! I live in West Texas and other than winters, can't wait to get back! Keeping the home in W.Texas for winters even when we figure out how to get back to Valentine for retirement. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 09:05 PM

475 posts, read 1,567,930 times
Quote:
Someone must have done or said something the group isn't aware of that dissed him or something.
The Davenports set the benchmark in years past ... allowing Nebraska Star Party use of the Waters Edge for gatherings, vendor tents, beach for a beach party... I have no doubt they saw considerable business in return as well. John Bauer, for whatever reason, wants nothing to do with us... and from what we've heard, from the VERY supportive people of Valentine, he hasn't been particularly hospitable to guests in general. I noticed that the Waters Edge has so little business... they have resorted to very limited hours/Mrs Bauer waits tables. So apparently it's not just the 'stargazers' HE'S dissed. Subsequently, we've resorted to having food catered all the way out to our viewing site at Snake Campground. Nebraska Star Party continues on (having celebrated it's 15th annual event this past August). We'll be there July 19th through July 24th next year ( The Nebraska Star Party )

Old 09-17-2008, 07:33 AM

2,177 posts, read 2,149,987 times
Its sad to see what is going on there. I do not look for it too be open much longer, hopefully someone will purchase it and restore it too its original status.

Your Nebraska Star Party is always the talk of the town when you come. What an excellent bunch you are. I hope you keep coming back to this area for years to come.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:23 PM

475 posts, read 1,567,930 times
I don't ever see our moving anywhere else. With or without the support of the resort... there's no better location.

By the way, there will be a story on Nebraska Star Party in the April or May edition of Midwest Living magazine.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:08 PM

Well, keep on seeing stars! Hope things get better with that resort owner so that everyone can get along. I have found some RV Park owners that have been less than cordial with the very people who support them. After a long discussion with one park owner in New Mexico, it turned out he got in over his head. Just too bad he let it spill over to his hospitality.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:31 PM

From what I have heard first hand, it seems some disrespect was dished out and things said to the owners small son. An apology was asked for from the guilty party and that was refused. So, I don't think the resort owners are fully to blame. Seems maybe some egos are getting in the way. After all, it's their place of business and they can run it however they need to make things work. One group won't make or break them either. After discussions with a number of folks and family in Valentine, it seems that the resort owners are well liked and also known to go out of their way to make the resort open as much as possible. A lack of employees, which is something occuring nationwide, has caused some problems also. Just because Stargazers are a unique organization, don't think your party group is the only people who frequent the resort.

I wish both parties well in their endeavors but a little respect towards the owners, who seem to have gone out of their way to help out, would be a good thing. Don't think your attitude won't have results in your treatment.

God Bless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska